Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 6   [ 106 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Would you die for Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:10 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
This reminds me of the 11-year-old Chinese girl that was Bishop Sheen's inspiration for making a holy hour. Sometime during the Communist takeover of China, soldiers broke into a parish church, overturned the tabernacle and spilled the hosts on the floor. Everyday, a devout girl sneaked into the church, made a holy hour of reparation for the sacrilege, and consumed one of the hosts, until all the hosts had been consumed. On the day she consumed the last host, she was discovered by a guard and killed there in the church. Eleven years old!

(Looking online I found this account of the story, which cites Die schönsten Eucharistischen Wunder by Fr. Karl Maria Harrer.)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:41 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Mary Ruth wrote:
A Real-Life Story

In the town where I work as a missionary there is a contemplative monastery of nuns. Several years ago, one of the nuns was seriously injured during Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament. She was taking her turn at adoration when a woman came into the chapel, entered the enclosure portion of the chapel and attempted to remove the host from the monstrance.

The nun tried to prevent the woman from doing so and was sprayed in the face with some sort of chemical. She lost an eye as the result of that attack. The woman, unfortunately, escaped with a consecrated host. Later that night a woman called the monastery to tell the nuns that she had taken the host at the urging of a relative who was a Satanist and wanted a host to use in a "ritual." She assured the nuns that she had had a change of heart and consumed the host instead of handing it over to the Satanist. It was a horrible situation in every way. Physical attack, sacrilege and the loss of an eye were, IMO, extremely drastic results of the original perverted intention.

The investigation of the incident went right up to the Vatican. Our bishop had to submit a long report about what happened, why it happened and what would be done to prevent a recurrence.

:cry: :pray:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:46 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

AdAltareDei wrote:
This reminds me of the 11-year-old Chinese girl that was Bishop Sheen's inspiration for making a holy hour. Sometime during the Communist takeover of China, soldiers broke into a parish church, overturned the tabernacle and spilled the hosts on the floor. Everyday, a devout girl sneaked into the church, made a holy hour of reparation for the sacrilege, and consumed one of the hosts, until all the hosts had been consumed. On the day she consumed the last host, she was discovered by a guard and killed there in the church. Eleven years old!

(Looking online I found this account of the story, which cites Die schönsten Eucharistischen Wunder by Fr. Karl Maria Harrer.)

What blessings flowed from the faith and suffering of this child! And, the fact that this inspired Bishop Sheen to make a holy hour every day, and he in turn still inspires others......

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:41 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Eorlingean Catholic
Church Affiliations: KC
beezle wrote:
Questions like this reach to far. Here it is easy to say yes. Looking at the effects it would present, one would have to think "If I were to be beheaded in a Christ-less world who would teach my child?"

Beez, you are wise for saying that. I believe there are also issues of prudence for those who have obligations to provide for spouse and/or children to NOT be a martyr if possible because of those obligations.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:31 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

BlueyedMule wrote:
beezle wrote:
Questions like this reach to far. Here it is easy to say yes. Looking at the effects it would present, one would have to think "If I were to be beheaded in a Christ-less world who would teach my child?"

Beez, you are wise for saying that. I believe there are also issues of prudence for those who have obligations to provide for spouse and/or children to NOT be a martyr if possible because of those obligations.

And, when we can't avoid the martyrdom, we can trust the Lord to take care of the rest.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:22 am 
Highness
Highness

I don't see how it would be any different than willing to give your life for your country. I would do that in a heart beat, no questions asked.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:05 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Dorothy B. wrote:
BlueyedMule wrote:
beezle wrote:

And, when we can't avoid the martyrdom, we can trust the Lord to take care of the rest.

We would also be wise to a) have a plan in place "in case" to deal with children or family and b) make every effort to get out of a country that has that much control over lives.

Pray like it's all on God and act as if it's all on us.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:26 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

BlueyedMule wrote:
Dorothy B. wrote:
BlueyedMule wrote:
beezle wrote:

We would also be wise to a) have a plan in place "in case" to deal with children or family and b) make every effort to get out of a country that has that much control over lives.

Pray like it's all on God and act as if it's all on us.

Yes!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:33 pm 

Dorothy B. wrote:
BlueyedMule wrote:
beezle wrote:

I guess this may be the reason why we are not all called to early martyrdom.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:10 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Demotriton wrote:
Dorothy B. wrote:
BlueyedMule wrote:
beezle wrote:

I guess this may be the reason why we are not all called to early martyrdom.

Yup. Someone has to stay home and change diapers. :) Actually, I believe the Catechism states that those who have a family have a responsibility to stay ALIVE if at all possible rather than be a martyr, because of the family obligation to protect, provide, and care for those in your charge. Those without may fully embrace martyrdom without any avoidance if they choose as a great witness. Thank God we have both kinds of people in our Church.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:31 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

My situation is a little different since my children are already raised, and married, with kids of their own. I wouldn't expect them to leave their children, but I would hope and pray that I would have the Grace needed to be a good example for both my children and my grandchildren, and have the strength to face the executioner.

http://grandmajennysattic.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:33 pm 
Deceased

AdAltareDei wrote:

At the risk of aggravating and perhaps even scandalizing some people here, I will say that I do not find the story of that pious young Chinese girl (true or not, there is some question!) particularly edifying or worthy of emulation! Rather, assuming it is true, the story is merely a tragedy. (I initially misspelled the word "tragedy" as "tradgedy". Oops.)

Versions of this story (including the linked one, but NOT the original quoted here) usually stress that the girl used her tongue to pick up one of the spilled hosts each day.

While the ideas of only the tongue (and subsequent digestive system)touching the host (for lay people) and only receiving Holy Communion once a day at a maximum (again for laypeople) were commonplace Catholic understanding at the time the story is situated, in the case of preventing sacrilege or repairing desecration either of these normal restrictions could and should have been ignored, as well as Eucharistic fast! But I am not blaming an 11 year old for not being aware of these automatic dispensations. Hence follows my use of the word "tragedy".

Edward Pothier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:09 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: I eat The Lamb
I've often thought with pride that I'd be happy and brave enough to give my life for Christ.

Then I wonder if I would jump into a pit of ugly, huge spiders for Christ and I'm duly humbled.

Death, even physical pain, doesn't feel like the greatest sacrifice one could ask of me.

Get me on the psychological level and I'm toast.

The Bleeding Pelican

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:21 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Edward Pothier wrote:
I do not find the story of that pious young Chinese girl ... particularly edifying or worthy of emulation! Rather, assuming it is true, the story is merely a tragedy. ... normal restrictions could and should have been ignored, as well as Eucharistic fast!
I think you miss the point. The girl in question showed such love and courage; that is what is worthy of emulation. As to her method, had she consumed all the hosts at once, she could not have made several days' holy hour of reparation before the Blessed Sacrament. As to the story's authenticity, I trust Archbishop Sheen.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:07 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

With God's help, I hope so. My life belongs to Him, anyway.

During His trials Our Lord would not respond to the chief priests (Mt 14:61), or Herod (Lk 23:9) or Pilate (Jn 19:9). Words had failed. All that could penetrate those hardened hearts was the witness of divine love, the offering of His life to the Father. So also for us — when words fail the greatest way to “win” an argument is by acts of love. - Fr. Paul Scalia

There is no law about nougatine. - Chef Stephane Glacier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:54 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I hope I would still go to Mass.

I'm not so sure I would go to Adoration.

It is to idols that men turned (and turn) for quick and literal answers. (J.R.R. Tolkien)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:23 pm 

me3rd wrote:
I've often thought with pride that I'd be happy and brave enough to give my life for Christ.

Then I wonder if I would jump into a pit of ugly, huge spiders for Christ and I'm duly humbled.

Death, even physical pain, doesn't feel like the greatest sacrifice one could ask of me.

Get me on the psychological level and I'm toast.

After reading the posts. I am convinced that None of Us could be a martyr without the grace of God to overcome our own human weakness that would prevent us from being a martyr.

I myself, in my human weakness am terrified of many deaths, but the grace of God could transform me, should the time come.

Mark 10:27

Jesus looked at them and said, "For human beings it is impossible, but not for God. All things are possible for God."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:32 am 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Turgonian wrote:
I hope I would still go to Mass.

I'm not so sure I would go to Adoration.

It is unlikely that there would be an opportunity to attend adoration of the Blessed Sacrament outside of the Holy Mass in a time of persecution.

"The more we honor the Blessed Virgin, the more we honor Jesus Christ, because we honor Mary only that we may the more perfectly honor Jesus, since we go to her only as the way by which we are to find the end we are seeking, which is Jesus."

-St. Louis De Montfort

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:34 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I've been thinking about this question for the last few days and it is a really hard one for me to answer. The easy answer is "yes, by the grace of God". I believe in the real presence, and so I hope that if I'm called to be a martyr for Christ in the Blessed Sacrament that I will be given the grace to do so.

Yet, to be honest I still struggle sometimes with this mystery. I accept it on faith but my mind just can't get around it.

I would still attend mass, I would be willing to die because I was a christian but if someone was committing some sort of sacrilege to the blessed sacrament... I honestly don't know what I would do. I can only hope that should that come to pass God grant me the faith and the grace to do what is required in that moment.

"We never give more honour to Jesus than when we honour his Mother, and we honour her simply and solely to honour him all the more perfectly. We go to her only as a way leading to the goal we seek - Jesus, her Son."
-Saint Louis Marie de Montfort

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:29 pm 

We can only know in that present moment when faced with martyrdom if we will find the strength in our Lord to bear the Cross of Christ and give our lives for the sake of the Gospel. If that day should come, I pray that all of us will find the strength in Christ to become a martyr of Love.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 6   [ 106 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next