Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: IPhone 4 Signal problem - UPDATED
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:58 pm 
Deceased

Religion: Catholic
I thought I would post this before incorrect/incomplete info is put out.

As you probably know the IPhone 4 has had problems dropping calls if held a certain way. Apple has been working the problem and held a news conference today on the subject. Yesterday, they issued a software update to the algorithm that calculates the number of bars.

Here it is:

First, calls to Applecare on the problem were .55% of IPhone calls
The Iphone 4 has a lower return rate to AT&T than the 3GS
Most other smartphones have the same problem to some degree.

I'll let Steve Jobs take over : (Jason Snell is the reporter doing the live coverage)

Jason Snell: It's very hard, when we look at this data, not to conclude that there is a problem. But it's a problem affecting a small percentage of users.

Jason Snell: I've gotten thousands of emails from users who say there's no problem for them

Jason Snell: But, having said this, we care about every user, and we're not going to stop until every one of those is happy.

Jason Snell: But I think it's important to understand the scope of this problem. Because the data leads you to the conclusion that it's been blown so out of proportion, it's incredible.

Jason Snell: I know it's fun to have a story, but it's less fun when you're on the other end of it. (laughter)

Jason Snell: Let me tell you what we're going to do.

Jason Snell: First thing, we've released iOS 4.0.1, which fixes the wrong formula for bars and there was a nasty Exchange bug, and that's fixed too.

Jason Snell: We recommend that every iPhone owner update to it.

Jason Snell: Second, a lot of people have told us, the bumper solves the signal strength problem. Why don't you just give everyone a case?

Jason Snell: Okay. Everyone will get a free case.

Jason Snell: Refund if you bought a Bumper.

Jason Snell: For every iPhone 4 purchased through September 30.

Jason Snell: But. We can't make enough bumpers. So what we're going to do, is source some other cases and give users a choice of cases. And they'll be able to pick one.

Jason Snell: Apply on Apple website starting late next week. Pick a case, zoom, we'll send it off to you. That simple.

Jason Snell: And if you're still not happy, before or after you get a free case, you can bring your iPhone 4 back undamaged within 30 days for a full refund.

Jason Snell: No restocking fee or anything. We want to take care of everyone. We want every user to be happy.

AT&T will give the same refund and cancel the contract at no cost (according to answer in the Q&A section}

Now some folks will applaud this and others will not, that is their prerogative; however since Apple has sold 3 million units so far, the case give away is a substantial amount of money.

They are still working on the problem and may extend the program beyond Sept.

Pax Christi

"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better or happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm smile." PFC Daniel R. Parker USA (died in Iraq August 2003)