Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 3   [ 60 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Questions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:07 pm 
Offline
Master
Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:05 pm
Posts: 1791
Location: AWAKE
Religion: Logic
Custos wrote:
TheDay wrote:
Yes, well I deny the existence of any sort of God. Give me proof, and I'll consider changing my stance.


Give me proof that your stance is well-reasoned and logical, and not an arbitrary bit of petulant, self-important adolescent bosh, and I will consider changing my stance that you don't know what you are talking about.

8-) ( ilike the word bosh. I am officially stealing it)

_________________
Image
I bet you can't tell me one thing that is better than baby kisses, hugs, and giggles.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:11 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:04 am
Posts: 6366
Location: "Fish-shape Paumanok where I was born"
beezle wrote:
[ 8-) ( ilike the word bosh. I am officially stealing it)


You are quite welcome. Like "kiosk", it is in that relatively small group of English words that derive from Turkish.

Oh, and thanks for the hint about the peroxide; I will have to try that! :D

_________________
BOSWELL: "Have not they vexed yourself a little, Sir? Have not you been vexed by all the turbulence of this reign?"
JOHNSON: "Sir, I have never slept an hour less, nor eat an ounce less meat. I would have knocked the factious dogs on the head, to be sure; but I was not vexed."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:14 pm 
Offline
Some Poor Bibliophile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:22 pm
Posts: 19475
beezle wrote:
Custos wrote:
TheDay wrote:
Yes, well I deny the existence of any sort of God. Give me proof, and I'll consider changing my stance.


Give me proof that your stance is well-reasoned and logical, and not an arbitrary bit of petulant, self-important adolescent bosh, and I will consider changing my stance that you don't know what you are talking about.

8-) ( ilike the word bosh. I am officially stealing it)




Chesterton used the word "bosh" a lot.


GKC

_________________
"I tell you naught for your comfort,
Yea, naught for your desire,
Save that the sky grows darker yet
And the sea rises higher."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:16 pm 
Offline
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:10 pm
Posts: 34612
Location: Here in the center holding my bleeding heart...
Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
TheDay wrote:

I was bullied a lot.


What do you mean by "bullied"?

_________________
Living life on prayers and hooks and needles...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:17 pm 
Offline
Master
Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:05 pm
Posts: 1791
Location: AWAKE
Religion: Logic
Custos wrote:
Oh, and thanks for the hint about the peroxide; I will have to try that! :D

Husband cut himself while doing something to his truck. He got blood on his white shirt. It had other colors so we were scared to use bleach. So I sat there with a little bar of white soap(hotel soap) and little drops of peroxide. It worked.

_________________
Image
I bet you can't tell me one thing that is better than baby kisses, hugs, and giggles.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:20 pm 
Offline
Potty Hollerer
Potty Hollerer

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:47 pm
Posts: 9199
Religion: Catholic
Custos wrote:
Do you know a good way to get coffee stains out of a white cotton/polyester blend uniform shirt on which you cannot use bleach?

Oxyclean.
Mix some powdered Oxyclean in water and soak, or try the spray version of Oxyclean.

_________________
ImagePrayers for all who have requested prayer, or for whom prayer has been requested.


Last edited by Notnew on Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:23 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:04 am
Posts: 6366
Location: "Fish-shape Paumanok where I was born"
GKC wrote:

Chesterton used the word "bosh" a lot.


:fyi: He learned the word from the Mussulman lackey of a pasha's odalisque while eating yogurt in a turquoise kiosk.

_________________
BOSWELL: "Have not they vexed yourself a little, Sir? Have not you been vexed by all the turbulence of this reign?"
JOHNSON: "Sir, I have never slept an hour less, nor eat an ounce less meat. I would have knocked the factious dogs on the head, to be sure; but I was not vexed."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:23 pm 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 39
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Religion: Non-Applicable
kage_ar wrote:
TheDay wrote:

I was bullied a lot.


What do you mean by "bullied"?


Think, and you'll find out. Don't like going back to those times.

Custos wrote:
TheDay wrote:
Yes, well I deny the existence of any sort of God. Give me proof, and I'll consider changing my stance.


Give me proof that your stance is well-reasoned and logical, and not an arbitrary bit of petulant, self-important adolescent bosh, and I will consider changing my stance that you don't know what you are talking about.


Your lack of evidence is my evidence. I have the same amount of faith in your God as I do in unicorns and leprechauns. There is a shocking lack of evidence for all three of those things.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:24 pm 
Offline
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:10 pm
Posts: 34612
Location: Here in the center holding my bleeding heart...
Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
TheDay wrote:
kage_ar wrote:
TheDay wrote:

I was bullied a lot.


What do you mean by "bullied"?


Think, and you'll find out. Don't like going back to those times.



That is a non-answer.

Can you define what you mean when you say "bullied".

_________________
Living life on prayers and hooks and needles...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:27 pm 
Offline
Master
Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:05 pm
Posts: 1791
Location: AWAKE
Religion: Logic
TheDay wrote:
kage_ar wrote:
TheDay wrote:

I was bullied a lot.


What do you mean by "bullied"?


Think, and you'll find out. Don't like going back to those times.

Custos wrote:
TheDay wrote:
Yes, well I deny the existence of any sort of God. Give me proof, and I'll consider changing my stance.


Give me proof that your stance is well-reasoned and logical, and not an arbitrary bit of petulant, self-important adolescent bosh, and I will consider changing my stance that you don't know what you are talking about.


Your lack of evidence is my evidence. I have the same amount of faith in your God as I do in unicorns and leprechauns. There is a shocking lack of evidence for all three of those things.

Do you believe in a higher power of any sort?

_________________
Image
I bet you can't tell me one thing that is better than baby kisses, hugs, and giggles.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:31 pm 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 39
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Religion: Non-Applicable
beezle wrote:
TheDay wrote:
kage_ar wrote:
TheDay wrote:

I was bullied a lot.


What do you mean by "bullied"?


Think, and you'll find out. Don't like going back to those times.

Custos wrote:
TheDay wrote:
Yes, well I deny the existence of any sort of God. Give me proof, and I'll consider changing my stance.


Give me proof that your stance is well-reasoned and logical, and not an arbitrary bit of petulant, self-important adolescent bosh, and I will consider changing my stance that you don't know what you are talking about.


Your lack of evidence is my evidence. I have the same amount of faith in your God as I do in unicorns and leprechauns. There is a shocking lack of evidence for all three of those things.

Do you believe in a higher power of any sort?


Nope. I don't.

Bullied as in the general sense of the term, some pricks picked on me for 8 years.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:34 pm 
Offline
Master
Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:05 pm
Posts: 1791
Location: AWAKE
Religion: Logic
TheDay wrote:

Nope. I don't.

Bullied as in the general sense of the term, some pricks picked on me for 8 years.

You are #1 truly lost because even I know that this did not mystically appear.

Bullied can mean a wide range of things. I called my sister stupid more times than I should've. She considered this bullying. I considered it funny. (we were both kids).

_________________
Image
I bet you can't tell me one thing that is better than baby kisses, hugs, and giggles.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:36 pm 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 39
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Religion: Non-Applicable
beezle wrote:
TheDay wrote:

Nope. I don't.

Bullied as in the general sense of the term, some pricks picked on me for 8 years.

You are #1 truly lost because even I know that this did not mystically appear.



Gonna have to elaborate on that. I don't think we mystically appeared... that's the Catholic view, not mine.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:37 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:04 am
Posts: 6366
Location: "Fish-shape Paumanok where I was born"
TheDay wrote:
Custos wrote:
TheDay wrote:
Yes, well I deny the existence of any sort of God. Give me proof, and I'll consider changing my stance.


Give me proof that your stance is well-reasoned and logical, and not an arbitrary bit of petulant, self-important adolescent bosh, and I will consider changing my stance that you don't know what you are talking about.


Your lack of evidence is my evidence. I have the same amount of faith in your God as I do in unicorns and leprechauns. There is a shocking lack of evidence for all three of those things.


Ah, so your stance is not well-reasoned and logical. Well, no surprise there.

First of all, how do you know that there is no evidence for the existence of God? Secondly, even if, merely for the sake of argument, we accepted that your statement "there is no evidence" is correct, why should that mean that no God does, or can, exist? Wouldn't it merely indicate that (doh!) you lack evidence? Since when is lack of evidence proff of non-existence? Imagine a crime scene with a dead body that has been shot twenty times. You have no witnesses. Would it be at all sensible to say "since I cannot identify evidence that I consider sufficient to prove that anyone murdered the victim, I can therefore conclude that no murderer exists"?

I would consider any detective who worked for me who said such a thing to be a boob.

(And by the way, has it never occurred to you that ancient descriptions of unicorns might really have been inaccurate descriptions of rhinoceroses, which DO exist?)

_________________
BOSWELL: "Have not they vexed yourself a little, Sir? Have not you been vexed by all the turbulence of this reign?"
JOHNSON: "Sir, I have never slept an hour less, nor eat an ounce less meat. I would have knocked the factious dogs on the head, to be sure; but I was not vexed."


Last edited by Custos on Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:39 pm 
Offline
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:10 pm
Posts: 34612
Location: Here in the center holding my bleeding heart...
Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
beezle wrote:
TheDay wrote:

Nope. I don't.

Bullied as in the general sense of the term, some pricks picked on me for 8 years.

You are #1 truly lost because even I know that this did not mystically appear.

Bullied can mean a wide range of things. I called my sister stupid more times than I should've. She considered this bullying. I considered it funny. (we were both kids).


See, in a world without absolutes, what one sees as being picked on someone else sees as good.

How do YOU determine what is good and what is evil?

_________________
Living life on prayers and hooks and needles...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:41 pm 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 39
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Religion: Non-Applicable
Custos wrote:
TheDay wrote:
Custos wrote:
TheDay wrote:
Yes, well I deny the existence of any sort of God. Give me proof, and I'll consider changing my stance.


Give me proof that your stance is well-reasoned and logical, and not an arbitrary bit of petulant, self-important adolescent bosh, and I will consider changing my stance that you don't know what you are talking about.


Your lack of evidence is my evidence. I have the same amount of faith in your God as I do in unicorns and leprechauns. There is a shocking lack of evidence for all three of those things.


Ah, so your stance is not well-reasoned and logical. Well, no surprise there.

First of all, how do you know that there is no evidence for the existence of God? Secondly, even if, merely for the sake of argument, we accepted that your statement "there is no evidence" is correct, why should that mean that no God does, or can, exist? Wouldn't it merely indicate that (doh!) you lack evidence? Imagine a crime scene with a dead body that has been shot twenty times. You have no witnesses. Would it be at all sensible to say "since I cannot identify evidence that I consider sufficient to prove that anyone murdered the victim, I can therefore conclude that no murderer exists"?

I would consider any detective who worked for me who said such a thing to be a boob.


Nice to see that my mere presence is annoying you.

I never said that lack of evidence didn't mean that a God can't, or doesn't exist. I'm saying that there is no evidence to my knowledge, and that I can conclude that there is no God. Also, the body was shot twenty times, and eye witness testimony isn't necessary for a conviction. That is why we have forensics.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:42 pm 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 39
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Religion: Non-Applicable
kage_ar wrote:
beezle wrote:
TheDay wrote:

Nope. I don't.

Bullied as in the general sense of the term, some pricks picked on me for 8 years.

You are #1 truly lost because even I know that this did not mystically appear.

Bullied can mean a wide range of things. I called my sister stupid more times than I should've. She considered this bullying. I considered it funny. (we were both kids).


See, in a world without absolutes, what one sees as being picked on someone else sees as good.

How do YOU determine what is good and what is evil?


We determine what is good and evil. Different people have different moral standards, however morality has evolved over time. Widespread racism towards non-white races has diminished compared to 1-2 centuries earlier.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:44 pm 
Offline
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:10 pm
Posts: 34612
Location: Here in the center holding my bleeding heart...
Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
TheDay wrote:
kage_ar wrote:
beezle wrote:
TheDay wrote:

Nope. I don't.

Bullied as in the general sense of the term, some pricks picked on me for 8 years.

You are #1 truly lost because even I know that this did not mystically appear.

Bullied can mean a wide range of things. I called my sister stupid more times than I should've. She considered this bullying. I considered it funny. (we were both kids).


See, in a world without absolutes, what one sees as being picked on someone else sees as good.

How do YOU determine what is good and what is evil?


We determine what is good and evil. Different people have different moral standards, however morality has evolved over time. Widespread racism towards non-white races has diminished compared to 1-2 centuries earlier.


No, with out absolute right and wrong, there is no morality.

I say burning down rain forrests and making fun of 17 year olds is good!

_________________
Living life on prayers and hooks and needles...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:47 pm 
Offline
Master
Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:05 pm
Posts: 1791
Location: AWAKE
Religion: Logic
TheDay wrote:
Saying this right off the bat.

THIS WILL NOT TURN INTO A DEBATE.

All that I am making this topic for is for people to ask me (an Atheist) questions. Nothing more. Also, sorry for being away for a few days, been having a life. Yeah I know. Who has a life nowadays?



TheDay wrote:
AdAltareDei wrote:
Why are you an atheist?


That's more like the question I was expecting!

To my knowledge, there is no evidence for any sort of higher power.


Jump onto a Catholic Message Board, pronouce you're an atheist, expect people to ask you questions about it, and say that it's not going to turn into a debate? RIDICULOUS!! Were you expecting to teach the Catholics something or are they supposed to teach you something?

_________________
Image
I bet you can't tell me one thing that is better than baby kisses, hugs, and giggles.


Last edited by beezle on Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:12 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:04 am
Posts: 6366
Location: "Fish-shape Paumanok where I was born"
TheDay wrote:
Nice to see that my mere presence is annoying you.

Oh, please, don't give yourself such airs. Your presence doesn't annoy me in the least.

Quote:
I never said that lack of evidence didn't mean that a God can't, or doesn't exist.

You might try re-reading your own post: when challenged to demonstrate that your flat denial
"of the existence of any sort of God" was well-reasoned and logical, your whole defense of your position was "Your lack of evidence is my evidence": in other words, you deny the existence of any sort of God because you think that people who believe that God exists lack evidence for their belief. This is not a logically valid position; whether other people have or lack evidence for a belief in something does not affect the actual existence of that thing.

Quote:
I'm saying that there is no evidence to my knowledge, and that I can conclude that there is no God.

Again, not logically valid, nor even factually sound. Why do you think you have all the evidence for or against of any God? If you heard an illiterate member of a New Guinea tribe that lived in the wildest jungle dismiss the possibility that tractor-trailers exist because he personally has never seen evidence supporting their existence, would you find his statement persuasive, or would you regard it as a silly display of ignorance? In the same way, just how well-educated and well-informed are you at the highly limited age of 17, that you can say absolutely that nowhere in the history of the world has there ever been any evidence that a God may, or does, exist? I am willing to bet a fair amount of money that you have never read Aquinas (and I would even put up a small wager that you may not even have heard of Aquinas before), and cannot refute his arguments in favor of the existence of God -- yet here you think you have settled the issue with the feeble argument that God does not exist because one particular high school age youth has not heard what he regarded as evidence in favor of God's existence.

Quote:
Also, the body was shot twenty times, and eye witness testimony isn't necessary for a conviction. That is why we have forensics.

Hmmmmm, eyewitness testimony isn't necessary. Hmmmm. I had never thought of that when I specifically mentioned that in this particular example; we old cops aren't very bright that way, you see; we don't know that there is anything beyond eyewitnesses. Forensics, did you call it? Hmmmmmmm. Is that something new? And this idea of looking for evidence other than in the form of eyewitnesses -- do you think it might possibly apply to cases other than a dead body -- like, maybe, the existence of God?

Quote:
We determine what is good and evil. Different people have different moral standards, however morality has evolved over time. Widespread racism towards non-white races has diminished compared to 1-2 centuries earlier.

And is that supposed to be a good thing, or a bad thing? Why would you pick one over the other? For that matter, if we determine what is good or evil based on absolutely nothing other than our own whims and personal caprice, why should anyone care about anyone else's opinion? If it gave Jeffry Dahmer pleasure and satisfaction to murder people and keep their heads on top of his refrigerator, who are you to say that Dahmer was wrong to do so?

_________________
BOSWELL: "Have not they vexed yourself a little, Sir? Have not you been vexed by all the turbulence of this reign?"
JOHNSON: "Sir, I have never slept an hour less, nor eat an ounce less meat. I would have knocked the factious dogs on the head, to be sure; but I was not vexed."


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 3   [ 60 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: faithfulservant and 4 guests


Jump to: