Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dear wife's bithday (teasing/joking)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:49 pm 
Deceased

Religion: Catholic
Today (Wednesday, July 14, 2010) is my dear wife's 65th birthday. In celebration of that, I will be posting two separate threads. Both are true; but one will be teasing/joking and the other will be more straightforwardly honorific. In case there is any difficulty in distinguishing, this is the teasing/joking one.

(1) My wife is "revolting!: Today is also Bastille Day, celebrating the start of the French Revolution. Hence, she is revolting.

(2) My wife is a "cradle-robber". From today until my next birthday early in October, I can say that she is two years older than I am. Granted it is actually less than a year and three months, but when it is to my advantage I am willing to use whole year ages. When we married on October 1st of 1977 she was 32 and I was just a youngster of 30.

(3) My wife "ages me fast". This is connected to (2) above. After having been married to her for less than a week, I was a year older!

(4) My wife is "old". In last Sunday's PICKLES comic by Bryan Crane I read for the first time (at least for me) a great verbal image for age. A Gramma is speaking to her grandchild and said "Grampa's so old that when God said 'Let there be Light', he's the one that hit the switch." Although there is a slight "problem" with this use of the Genesis 1 creation story (since God created light on Day 1 and humans not until Day 6), I will not hesitate to use the image that "someone is so old that when God created light, he/she hit the switch."

Happy Birthday, dear Mary!
Edward Pothier

Post subject: Re: Dear wife's bithday (teasing/joking)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:56 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Edward Pothier wrote:
(3) My wife "ages me fast". This is connected to (2) above. After having been married to her for less than a week, I was a year older!
There are women of the very highest birth who have, of their own free choice, remained thirty-five for years.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:01 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
I had a friend who on his wife's birthday decided to play a little joke with her. He got her a present. A new mop and bucket. She hit him with the mop. I'd be careful...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:06 pm 
Deceased

caleb wrote:
Edward Pothier wrote:
There are women of the very highest birth who have, of their own free choice, remained thirty-five for years.
I realized that my statement could have been misunderstood easily. My wife is proud of her age and doesn’t "freeze" it

When I wrote, "After having been married to her for less than a week, I was a year older", I did not mean that I was now a year older than her age but that I was a year older than when I got married.

Edward Pothier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:11 pm 
Deceased

Desertfalcon wrote:
I had a friend who on his wife's birthday decided to play a little joke with her. He got her a present. A new mop and bucket. She hit him with the mop. I'd be careful...
Her birthday present this year is a new refrigerator. I do not fear however. She bought it and told me it was her birthday present.

It is not meant to be our regular food refrig, but one for down in the cellar so she will be able to pursue her hobby/min-business of candy making.

Edward Pothier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:14 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Edward Pothier wrote:
I realized that my statement could have been misunderstood easily.
I sense some fear. Hell hath no fury . . .

And normally, you write with an unimpeachable precision. Freudian slip?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:48 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Happy Birthday to your beloved! :cloud9: Of course, that now tells me you two are about the ages of my parents (mom turned 65 on May 9, dad turns 65 Oct 27). Which is slightly disconcerting, as once again, I had you pegged about 20 yrs younger for some reason...

Now, onto this "candy" you were speaking of...what kinds? She is Catholic, right? Does she need taste testers, and does she ship?

(The ladies forum would love to be taste testers for her, if she needs any "market research" done... :wink: )

Rachel

I want to be like Mrs B when I grow up!
I homeschool because I've seen the village, and I don't want it raising my children!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:51 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I love those verses...

Many prayers for many more happy years together to celebrate...

Rachel

I want to be like Mrs B when I grow up!
I homeschool because I've seen the village, and I don't want it raising my children!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:03 pm 
Deceased

juststartn wrote:
Happy Birthday to your beloved! :cloud9: Of course, that now tells me you two are about the ages of my parents (mom turned 65 on May 9, dad turns 65 Oct 27). Which is slightly disconcerting, as once again, I had you pegged about 20 yrs younger for some reason...
Don't let my obvious mental immaturity confuse you about my physical age!
juststartn wrote:
Now, onto this "candy" you were speaking of...what kinds? She is Catholic, right? Does she need taste testers, and does she ship?

(The ladies forum would love to be taste testers for her, if she needs any "market research" done... :wink: )

Rachel
My wife does almost exclusively plain molded chocolate – melt the chocolate and place in plastic molds, refrigerate to harden. Some of the chocolate is flavored. She does not (yet) do any dipped chocolates.

Over the last several years she has made quite a bit for the Daughters of St. Paul, a religious community of sisters, for sale around Christmas and Easter at their Pauline Media bookstore.

Sorry, but between husband, friends, and the sisters, my wife has no shortage of tasters.

Edward Pothier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:14 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
Mmmmmmmmmm...............mould.