Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 3   [ 56 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Does anyone else feel... "simple" when they come to DCF?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:56 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
VegasCane wrote:

I've never been big on "hope" and one to run around saying to myself "I wish this wouldn't be, pray it changes" because in my experience that doesn't get results. Action gets results. So things I can act on to change, I do. Things I know I can't, I leave alone and do my best to navigate through it.

This makes me sad. Prayer hasn't ever brought you results? Perhaps you haven't recognized answered prayers when you've seen it. My life is filled with answered prayers and I'm so very thankful for that. My 4 year old exists as a result of prayer.... there are 5 years difference between her and her older sister. My older daughter asked me for a sister and I told her to pray for it. A few months later, I was pregnant. This last year, I've prayed more fervently than ever that my husband would come to Christ (as he's never been baptized) and less than a week ago, he told me that he is going to convert. Now, I suppose, you can say that none of this happened because of prayer, and possibly that is correct, however, how wonderful to know that my prayers were answered because they were in line with God's will. This last year as I prayed daily alongside the Rosary Patrol (Catholic Defender and his men in iraq), we saw so many answered prayers... for people who seemed to have grim recovery ahead of them. After much prayer, we saw quick and speedy recoveries. This doesn't happen for every prayer, but that fact that it happens to any means that prayer is not fruitless and is a reason for hope.

I surely hope that I'm misunderstanding what you mean about "taking action" and "leaving things alone" as there are some things in life that we have the power to change...and even then it is challenging. I know and have experienced myself struggles that seem hopeless but through prayer and confession, it becomes possible. Some things we have no control over... i.e. the struggles of others, the path or beliefs of others, etc.. and all that can be done for them is prayer.

Please tell me that you haven't given up hope on prayer and please tell me that you will not accept yourself as indifferent.

Lisa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:58 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Finally a topic that screams me and I see it after everyone starts turning it around!!!!

I am the Cradle Catholic turned loose on the VBS crowd in my community and argued religion with EVERY teacher I had in the grade school classes. Then I come here and I find I know NOTHING!!! I won't even mention what I found out I didn't know from teaching Sunday School!!!

I am with Bumble's quotings... I can quote Steel Magnolias and The Godfather constantly. Had Halushki last night for dinner and was telling my hub to eat the halushki and it had the same beat as "take the canoli"!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:08 am 

Greg wrote:
Chris G wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Semper ubi sub ubi.

Double smarty pants.

One of the only Latin phrases I know is Semper Fidelis.

These two are easy:

Dominus vobiscum (The Lord be with you)
Et cum* spiritu tuo (and with your spirit)

I think we said it about 4 times in each Mass. As kids we said that it's was God's telephone number :wink:
(Phone numbers used to be expressed with words or letters plus the numbers: i.e. Pennsylvania 6-5000)

The other phrase I remember was at the end of the Canon, we sung secula seculorum, which means for ever and ever, or without end.

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:19 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Deacon
Sometimes I'll go through a stretch where it's like, "I'm not sure what I can contribute" because a question or a topic has been well answered by someone else, or I don't know the answer.

But maybe it's useful to keep in mind that building each other up requires more than just coughing up informative answers. Of course that's a great thing to do, but anyone can also offer a kind word, a question that may be on the minds of other lurkers, a timely joke, a blistering temper tantrum ....

Formerly Max Kolbe

“All serious and upright human conduct is hope in action.” — Pope Benedict XVI

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:56 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Eorlingean Catholic
Church Affiliations: KC
'Tuther day a bag of rocks called me dumb. :shock:

Was a saaaaaaaaaad day. :nooo:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:42 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
BlueyedMule wrote:
'Tuther day a bag of rocks called me dumb. :shock:

Was a saaaaaaaaaad day. :nooo:

mmmm... talking rocks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:11 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Super smart or not, most DCFers should be experts on cucumbers by now. :fyi:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:14 pm 
Highness
Highness

Lisa1515 wrote:
VegasCane wrote:

I've never been big on "hope" and one to run around saying to myself "I wish this wouldn't be, pray it changes" because in my experience that doesn't get results. Action gets results. So things I can act on to change, I do. Things I know I can't, I leave alone and do my best to navigate through it.

This makes me sad. Prayer hasn't ever brought you results? Perhaps you haven't recognized answered prayers when you've seen it. My life is filled with answered prayers and I'm so very thankful for that. My 4 year old exists as a result of prayer.... there are 5 years difference between her and her older sister. My older daughter asked me for a sister and I told her to pray for it. A few months later, I was pregnant. This last year, I've prayed more fervently than ever that my husband would come to Christ (as he's never been baptized) and less than a week ago, he told me that he is going to convert. Now, I suppose, you can say that none of this happened because of prayer, and possibly that is correct, however, how wonderful to know that my prayers were answered because they were in line with God's will. This last year as I prayed daily alongside the Rosary Patrol (Catholic Defender and his men in iraq), we saw so many answered prayers... for people who seemed to have grim recovery ahead of them. After much prayer, we saw quick and speedy recoveries. This doesn't happen for every prayer, but that fact that it happens to any means that prayer is not fruitless and is a reason for hope.

I surely hope that I'm misunderstanding what you mean about "taking action" and "leaving things alone" as there are some things in life that we have the power to change...and even then it is challenging. I know and have experienced myself struggles that seem hopeless but through prayer and confession, it becomes possible. Some things we have no control over... i.e. the struggles of others, the path or beliefs of others, etc.. and all that can be done for them is prayer.

Please tell me that you haven't given up hope on prayer and please tell me that you will not accept yourself as indifferent.

Lisa

I'm sure Prayer does do good. In fact, I'm certain it does. I wouldn't believe in God and Jesus if I didn't. But I'm also not one of those people that thinks that EVERYTHING is up to God and that with hope and prayer thigns change. I don't think he works like that.

The analogy I like to use to describe it is a set of dominos. The world and everything that happens in are the dominoes all stacked up in a line. God created and stacked the dominoes. He knows how each one is going to fall, because he places them all. He knows when the last one will fall. Then God set everything in motion by tipping the first domino he created into motion and watching them fall. So the events that occur aren't directly because of God. They are because of people making decisions and then the seeing the consequences of those decisions....a domino falling and hitting another one.
Only yhr dominos of life can think and change, and stop them from falling on the next one in line. If a person decides to change their ways, then you don't fall in the same direction you were falling in. You change course. You fall on another domino.

I believe that everything leads back to God, but that the course of events that happen are by and large our product. I believe this because of everything that I've come to know about our God. He's given us free will. He's not a dictator. If he was, we'd have no free will. We'd be hardwired to recognize him and follow him. But we aren't. God doesn't want people to be forced to following him. He wants us to choose him. And because of that, I don't think he forces us or steers us to do anything. Thus...social and man made problems in the world are caused by us...and can only be fixed by us. God isn't going to change any of it unless the people decide to fix it individually and collectively. They may have an epiphany some day....maybe seek the Lord and become awakened and change their ways....but I won't hold my breath waiting for it. Color mepleasantly shocked if it does.

Rather than focus my energy and time on matters that largely fall out of the scope of my abilities to affect, I'd rather tend to those things I can affect and can make a difference in on my own...with God's good graces.

I've recently seen God put some things in motion in my life that I can only attribute to him. It's either him or it's a monumental coincidence. Since I believe in God, I attribute it to him. And I've prayed. So don't get me wrong, I believe in the power of prayer in little indivisual things such as getting help, calling on him for guidance anc peace, etc.

But as far as praying for CHANGE in the realities of the human condition....no way. That's something that people have to change. God can play a role, should they seek him. But I don't believe God takes his hand and inserts it directly into situations that are man-made. He gave us the free will to begin those deeds, thus we have the free will to correct those deeds and only when we chose will that happen.

I just don't happen to have too much faith in man to do that, so I see it as "It is what it is. What am I going to do work around it" rather than "Oh golly gee, that's just not right. That shouldn't be. I hope it changes...". At the conclusion of saying that sentence....you're more often than not at the same point you were when you started it. So you've accomplished nothing other than to be bothered by something that is beyond your scope.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:25 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

baptist bumble wrote:
My area of expertise is limited to quoting lines from Pirates of the Caribbean and Star Wars movies, local eating establishments and how many fingers I am holding up now. :wink:

:wave :clap:

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power, of love, and of self control." 2 Tim 1:7

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:06 pm 
Deceased

Chris G wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Semper ubi sub ubi.

Double smarty pants.
Fr. Kenobi's statement is a well-known pseudo-Latin phrase which can be "translated" into English as a pun. I say "pseudo-Latin" and "translated" since the phrase is meaningless in Latin – a word-to-word table-lookup "translation" from Latin into English:
semper=always
ubi=where
sub=under
ubi=where

The humor results from punning it as "Always wear underwear", which is good advice for hygiene and modesty reasons.

Chris G's pun on the pun, i.e. "Double smarty pants", might not be appropriate for Fr. Kenobi since, although we can hope he wears underpants, the outerpants might be replaced by a cassock.

Edward Pothier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:26 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Doom wrote:

I admit that sometimes I feel like an ignoramus compared to Custos or PED

You forgot to mention "beng."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:33 am 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
In my experience prayer usually brings you better things than what you ask for. Things I probably should have been asking for to begin with. I've only gotten it right a few times. ::):

- Justice Scalia, dissent, King v. Burwell.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:55 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Has anyone been impressed with my intellegent and feel like an ignoramous like Doom?

I give signed picture of my laughing Luther avatar for $2.75 plus tax, you know.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:10 am 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
I always thought it was an angry ranting Luther.

- Justice Scalia, dissent, King v. Burwell.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:10 am 
Deceased

beng wrote:
Has anyone been impressed with my intellegent and feel like an ignoramous like Doom?

I give signed picture of my laughing Luther avatar for $2.75 plus tax, you know.
Luther, despite being about 5 centuries before the present and being wrong about many things, knew that combining "beng" and "intelligent" in the same paragraph was rip-roaring hilarious!

":)" actually means "Laughing Old Luther"

Edward Pothier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:22 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree Knight
Vincenzo wrote:
Super smart or not, most DCFers should be experts on banning cucumbers by now. :fyi:

Fixed it for ya.

What you see depends on what you thought before you looked. Eugene Taurman

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 3   [ 56 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3