Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 3   [ 56 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Does anyone else feel... "simple" when they come to DCF?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:35 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Semper ubi sub ubi.

Double smarty pants.

“We are moving toward a dictatorship of relativism which does not recognize anything as definitive and has as its highest value one's own ego and one's own desires... The church needs to withstand the tides of trends and the latest novelties.... We must become mature in this adult faith, we must guide the flock of Christ to this faith.”

“At times, power — including that of knowledge — blocks the path to encountering that child,” the Son of God, the savior of the world -Pope Benedict XVI

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:43 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I have two degrees, but I constantly feel like I do not know enough. There may be some areas you simply will not be able to make yourself care about. Look up any old post about mathematics and see how many times I've contributed. And believe me, I know people without college degrees who know a whole lot more than I do.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:30 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Two-Faced
baptist bumble wrote:
My area of expertise is limited to quoting lines from Pirates of the Caribbean...

You're not a eunuch are you?

‘Humility.’”

~ St. Anthony the Great

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:55 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

All the time. That's why I lurk, instead of posting. I post more in the women's forum. I have extensive knowledge of poopy diapers and nursing issues! :laughhard As for deep theological stuff, well, my head got filled up while I was converting, so it's all full now. No more room. Stuffed to the top. Jesus loves me, this I know..... :jesus:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:13 pm 

baptist bumble wrote:
St Veronica wrote:
Quote:
.....and how many fingers I am holding up now.

That would depend on how much of the wine you actually cooked with.
SV

Recipe only called for a half a cup.... :mrgreen:

...okay so we used most of the bottle a few nights earlier, but there was probably a good cup/cup and a half left in there. So that means I'm holding up... 11 fingers?

Did you take your shoes off again?

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:18 pm 

Religion: Christian
Doom wrote:
I admit that sometimes I feel like an ignoramus compared to Custos, PED or AJ.

Sorry - couldn't help myself. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:20 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Logic
Teakafrog wrote:
All the time. That's why I lurk, instead of posting. I post more in the women's forum. I have extensive knowledge of poopy diapers and nursing issues! :laughhard As for deep theological stuff, well, my head got filled up while I was converting, so it's all full now. No more room. Stuffed to the top. Jesus loves me, this I know..... :jesus:

That was wicked awesome. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:34 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
AJ. wrote:
Doom wrote:

Well you left out the part where I said it was only when discussing certain topics.. :)

But you know your life experience has a lot to do with it, I am suddenly everyone's mobile phone expert, not just on this board but IRL, yet one year ago I didn't know the difference between a Blackberry and a blueberry

I never imagined that I would ever be 'the technology guru' but there you go

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:53 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: RCIA(ish)
Constable Toad wrote:
baptist bumble wrote:
My area of expertise is limited to quoting lines from Pirates of the Caribbean...

You're not a eunuch are you?

Gentlemen...what do keys do?
<long pause>
Keys...........unlock.............................things.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:30 am 
Neener Queen
Neener Queen

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Semper ubi sub ubi.

Dooby dooby do. :whistle:

You cannot have Jesus as your brother and then reject Mary as your mother. You cannot love His Father as your Father, and then refuse to love His mother.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:49 am 
Highness
Highness

DCF reminds me everyday that either

A:) I lived the most unique childhood, teenage and young adult years ever and that my experiences by and large are exceptions and not the norm

----OR----

B:) There are a lot of people in this world with their head in the sand.

A vast majority of the issues I've seen discussed here with a sense outrage, surprise that it occured, shock, etc. I've either lived through, knew that it and things like it have occured for a long long time, and/or accepted as a reality of life that one needs to navigate around or through. Thus, much of I what I shrugg my shoulders at for my entire life, on this board people are taken agasp.

It's been quite a culture shock, but a fun ride nonetheless :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:59 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

The difference, VC, is that many of us have changed our views and expectations from what they were growing up. We do not settle for what the world has to offer but instead want and hope for all people to live up to their status as children of God, and we are disappointed when we see them falling.... that's true even if our parents didn't share with us a similar hope and even if our life experience does not reflect that our hopeful expectation is likely to come to pass.

"Take it as a certain sign that your charity is not genuine if your words, no matter how true, are not charitable." --St Francis de Sales

"The thing is--to be ready to die: and is there one of us who would quite like to die, doing as little for God as we are doing now?" --Fr Faber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:17 am 
Highness
Highness

Puppi wrote:
The difference, VC, is that many of us have changed our views and expectations from what they were growing up. We do not settle for what the world has to offer but instead want and hope for all people to live up to their status as children of God, and we are disappointed when we see them falling.... that's true even if our parents didn't share with us a similar hope and even if our life experience does not reflect that our hopeful expectation is likely to come to pass.

I understand, and I'm just waaaaay to cynical to be like that. I feel the world is what it is, and us puny humans don't even have a .01% of putting a dent in it. Therefore, it's how you deal with it that sperates the haves from the have nots, those that rise above it or succumb to it.

I've never been big on "hope" and one to run around saying to myself "I wish this wouldn't be, pray it changes" because in my experience that doesn't get results. Action gets results. So things I can act on to change, I do. Things I know I can't, I leave alone and do my best to navigate through it.

I've come to learn on this board that that is called "indifference." I guess I'm just really indifferent to a lot of things that go on in the world. And I can't say it was my parents. I can't really point to any one thing they did to steer me in that direction. I think it was just general life observations. I heard rhetoric about how things should be, and then when I saw that they were'nt that way even years later I said to myself "a lot of good that did. Waste of breath." and just accepted those "things" as facts of life and realities of life that hope and desire and prayer or whatever can't change unless society in general as a whole changes that thing. Until that happens...Not even gonna waste my time on it.

But I get what you're saying. And how you guys do it is right. I wish I had the same sense of hope or whatnot. I'm just way to cynical to think like that. Always have been

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:31 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
AJ. wrote:
Doom wrote:

Well you left out the part where I said it was only when discussing certain topics.. :)

But you know your life experience has a lot to do with it, I am suddenly everyone's mobile phone expert, not just on this board but IRL, yet one year ago I didn't know the difference between a Blackberry and a blueberry

I never imagined that I would ever be 'the technology guru' but there you go

I know the difference. Blueberries grow on bushes in my back yard; blackberries grow on vines there.

GKC

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:41 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree Knight
St Veronica wrote:
Quote:
.....and how many fingers I am holding up now.

That would depend on how much of the wine you actually cooked with.

SV

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food!

What you see depends on what you thought before you looked. Eugene Taurman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:43 am 

Constable Toad wrote:
I'm just wondering if anyone is there with me. Because when I go to work at Pizza Hut amongst the plethora of high school drop outs, I'm the smartest fish in the pond. But when I come here I'm constantly bombarded by walls-o-text with vocabulary that reminds me that I never finished college and rationale and logic that reminds me that I'm a product of the American public school system. :stars:

So is anyone else consistently frustrated and/or jealous of all the smarty-pantses that post 'round hur?

It's not so much the education, but the memory, and articulation that blows me away. Most people can express ideas far better than I can, and remembering names of people and places, is a contstant challenge.

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:43 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree Knight
Doom wrote:
One area in particular that I am not very knowledgeable about is geography. What nations border Thailand and where is it on a map? I honestly have no idea. The only geography course I have ever taken is in the 7th grade, and I hardly paid attention.

Someone once said that war is God's way of teaching Americans geography.

What you see depends on what you thought before you looked. Eugene Taurman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:44 am 

MyDogma8MyKarma wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Semper ubi sub ubi.

Dooby dooby do. :whistle:

:laughhard

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:46 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

VegasCane wrote:
Puppi wrote:

I understand, and I'm just waaaaay to cynical to be like that. I feel the world is what it is, and us puny humans don't even have a .01% of putting a dent in it. Therefore, it's how you deal with it that sperates the haves from the have nots, those that rise above it or succumb to it.

I've never been big on "hope" and one to run around saying to myself "I wish this wouldn't be, pray it changes" because in my experience that doesn't get results. Action gets results. So things I can act on to change, I do. Things I know I can't, I leave alone and do my best to navigate through it.

I've come to learn on this board that that is called "indifference." I guess I'm just really indifferent to a lot of things that go on in the world. And I can't say it was my parents. I can't really point to any one thing they did to steer me in that direction. I think it was just general life observations. I heard rhetoric about how things should be, and then when I saw that they were'nt that way even years later I said to myself "a lot of good that did. Waste of breath." and just accepted those "things" as facts of life and realities of life that hope and desire and prayer or whatever can't change unless society in general as a whole changes that thing. Until that happens...Not even gonna waste my time on it.

But I get what you're saying. And how you guys do it is right. I wish I had the same sense of hope or whatnot. I'm just way to cynical to think like that. Always have been
The Body and Blood of Jesus transforms us, if we beg Him humbly and try to give Him room to work.

"Take it as a certain sign that your charity is not genuine if your words, no matter how true, are not charitable." --St Francis de Sales

"The thing is--to be ready to die: and is there one of us who would quite like to die, doing as little for God as we are doing now?" --Fr Faber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:49 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
Chris G wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Semper ubi sub ubi.

Double smarty pants.

One of the only Latin phrases I know is Semper Fidelis, as in Semper Fi, Mac... (and I wouldn't bet a paycheck that even that is Latin.) I generally stay out of the Lyceum.

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

- I remember a lot of things. (Some of which actually happened.)

- Even the best of men may be born in times unsuited to their virtues.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 3   [ 56 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next