Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 3   [ 56 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Does anyone else feel... "simple" when they come to DCF?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:12 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Two-Faced
I'm just wondering if anyone is there with me. Because when I go to work at Pizza Hut amongst the plethora of high school drop outs, I'm the smartest fish in the pond. But when I come here I'm constantly bombarded by walls-o-text with vocabulary that reminds me that I never finished college and rationale and logic that reminds me that I'm a product of the American public school system. :stars:

So is anyone else consistently frustrated and/or jealous of all the smarty-pantses that post 'round hur?

‘Humility.’”

~ St. Anthony the Great

Post subject: Re: Does anyone else feel... "simple" when they come to DCF?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:19 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: RCIA(ish)
I'm prolly jealous... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:57 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
I have a three college degrees, including a Phd, and will soon be entering into a program to earn my fourth degree...

So I think that I am pretty educated and knowledgeable....

However, change the topic from stuff that I am familiar with to something that I know little or nothing about like wine collecting, opera, or the history of 17th century Japan and I feel like a complete loser who knows nothing....

One area in particular that I am not very knowledgeable about is geography. What nations border Thailand and where is it on a map? I honestly have no idea. The only geography course I have ever taken is in the 7th grade, and I hardly paid attention.

It is not really a question of 'knowing stuff' or 'not knowing stuff' so much as it is a question of knowing about 'some things' and not 'other things'

Obviously, no one can know everything, and no one can be equally conversant in all areas.

I admit that sometimes I feel like an ignoramus compared to Custos or PED

But it depends on the topic.....there's tons of stuff that I know which those two don't know....but when they talk about things I know little about but which they are knowledgeable, I feel like an idiot.

Whether or not you are 'smart' really depends on the topic I think..I am 'smart' on lots of things, but also ignorant about a lot of other things.

The key is to be humble and willing to learn more.....and to know the limitations of your knowledge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:59 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
DCF makes me constantly aware of how much I goofed off in school and how poorly educated I really am.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:01 pm 
King of Cool

Desertfalcon wrote:
DCF makes me constantly aware of how much I goofed off in school and how poorly educated I really am.

'I do not know how I may appear to others, but to myself I feel like a child playing on the seashore, amusing myself by finding a prettier shell or smoother pebble than is ordinary, whilst the vast ocean of truth lies undiscovered before me.' Sir Issac Newton

True intelligence is knowing the limits of your own knowledge.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:11 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
baptist bumble wrote:

"Prolly" is not a word :fyi:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:11 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
I lurked here for a loonnngg time at first, I called it the "place with the big brains".

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:14 pm 
Neener Queen
Neener Queen

Hmmm....some of it is because the knowledge of the posters is extensive - they all have their own particular interests and specialties. I've learned a lot about many different subjects coming here. It's one of the things I like about this board. I like the fact that my intellect gets stretched by participation here. I've never felt looked down upon for my lack of higher education.

Remember, you are only as good as the company you keep. Stick around, and you'll so over the heads of those highschool dropouts, they will get nosebleeds talking to you.

You cannot have Jesus as your brother and then reject Mary as your mother. You cannot love His Father as your Father, and then refuse to love His mother.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:13 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I pretty much agree with Doom. There are posters here who are very smart, and there are posters here who are very knowledgeable (and there are posters here who are very wise, but that's another topic). If someone like PED is talking a lot about something and I have no idea what he's saying, I read the post through more carefully to figure out what in particular I don't get, and then I just ask for more information or more detail, or I look online (depending on what the question it). If it's a point that isn't very important and that I have no interest in, then I might just let it go. If it's a point that's too complicated or requires more extensive background knowledge than I have or can gain quickly, then I probably will just let it go. But most of the time I just ask. So, no, it doesn't make me feel dumb or frustrated or anything like that. If anything, I feel more insecure if I'm interacting with normal Catholics at church and they assume I know about certain customs, traditions, or devotions with which I'm not familiar, but even then I just ask about it.

"Take it as a certain sign that your charity is not genuine if your words, no matter how true, are not charitable." --St Francis de Sales

"The thing is--to be ready to die: and is there one of us who would quite like to die, doing as little for God as we are doing now?" --Fr Faber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:19 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Yep, right there with ya. :)

Since it is summer, I find that my brain doesn't want to work as hard so I pretty much avoid the Lyceum, Apologetics, and other sections that will require me to think too hard.

When it's not summer and I'm in a "thinking" kind of mood, I'll venture in, but sometimes I don't last very long because I get lost pretty quickly. Perhaps one day, my journey will take me to where I will be one of those knowledgeable ones. :)

I definitely have grown a lot in my understanding since having come here a year or so ago.

Lisa

Last edited by Lisa1515 on Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:24 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Oh, I also don't read Apologetics and skip most of the Lyceum, so maybe that's why I don't feel dumb as often. :)

"Take it as a certain sign that your charity is not genuine if your words, no matter how true, are not charitable." --St Francis de Sales

"The thing is--to be ready to die: and is there one of us who would quite like to die, doing as little for God as we are doing now?" --Fr Faber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:33 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Semper ubi sub ubi.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:37 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic :)
Constable Toad wrote:
I'm just wondering if anyone is there with me. Because when I go to work at Pizza Hut amongst the plethora of high school drop outs, I'm the smartest fish in the pond. But when I come here I'm constantly bombarded by walls-o-text with vocabulary that reminds me that I never finished college and rationale and logic that reminds me that I'm a product of the American public school system. :stars:

So is anyone else consistently frustrated and/or jealous of all the smarty-pantses that post 'round hur?

I'm with Doom in that it doesn't matter what your education is as much as what it is in.

That being said, I'm with you. There are so many people who know so much more than I do, esp in the areas of theology! But I am very grateful that they are willing to share because I learn so much from them :D

O God, our refuge and our strength, look down in mercy on Thy people who cry out to Thee, and through the intercession of Mary, the virgin Mother of God; Saint Joseph, her most chaste spouse; Thy holy Apostles Peter and Paul, and of all Thy Saints, hear our prayer for the conversion of sinners, and for the liberation and exaltation of our holy Mother the Church. Through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:44 pm 
Adept
Adept

kage_ar wrote:
baptist bumble wrote:

CRAP, you're right! Now I feel stupid again...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:47 pm 

I always thought I was fairly smart until I came here....that was over 10 years ago and I am still amazed at the depth of knowledge (on various topics) that exists on this forum.

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:55 pm 
Adept
Adept

I suppose I feel the "brunt" of the intelligence of this board since my Baptist theology is constantly being strained, tested, beaten, pulled, enlightened and challenged by those on this board. I'm a big fish in the pond in r--- l--- but here I'm knocked off my high horse... and I like that. I appreciate the strength of the wind since I'm constantly trying to walk against it :D

My area of expertise is limited to quoting lines from Pirates of the Caribbean and Star Wars movies, local eating establishments and how many fingers I am holding up now. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:58 pm 

Quote:
.....and how many fingers I am holding up now.

That would depend on how much of the wine you actually cooked with.

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:03 pm 
Adept
Adept

St Veronica wrote:
Quote:
.....and how many fingers I am holding up now.

That would depend on how much of the wine you actually cooked with.
SV

Recipe only called for a half a cup.... :mrgreen:

...okay so we used most of the bottle a few nights earlier, but there was probably a good cup/cup and a half left in there. So that means I'm holding up... 11 fingers?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:07 pm 
King of Cool

On feeling 'simple'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd4S5C4P ... re=related

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:35 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
kage_ar wrote:
baptist bumble wrote:

Smarty pants.

“We are moving toward a dictatorship of relativism which does not recognize anything as definitive and has as its highest value one's own ego and one's own desires... The church needs to withstand the tides of trends and the latest novelties.... We must become mature in this adult faith, we must guide the flock of Christ to this faith.”

“At times, power — including that of knowledge — blocks the path to encountering that child,” the Son of God, the savior of the world -Pope Benedict XVI

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 3   [ 56 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next