Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fr. Peter from Ghana
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:51 pm 
Deceased

Religion: Catholic
This morning (7/13/2010), just before noon, I had a very pleasant experience – a half-an-hour or so visit from a visiting priest

Although my home parish has two priests (pastor and associate pastor), we again are blessed this summer (and until October) by the help of a wonderful priest from Ghana, Fr. Peter. Among other things, he is a very good preacher! I knew he was here for the summer (but I had no seen him in person, since I have been medically unable to attend Mass since Pentecost.) He had phoned me shortly after he arrived here in Boston and said that he would call to arrange a visit. This morning he called and said that he was going to walk down from the rectory (a few blocks away) and visit another elderly parishioner across the street from my house, then come and see me. We had a very pleasant time.

His story is quite interesting: A number of years ago, although he had been teaching philosophy at the diocesan seminary in Ghana, his bishop sent him to America to obtain a Ph.D in philosophy (if that isn't redundant). The first couple of years he was residing and helping at another Boston parish, but for the last three years of his program (including the writing of his thesis) he was living and helping at my parish (Sacred Heart in Roslindale). He completed his Ph.D program from Boston College, a Jesuit school, in 1999 and went back to teaching at the seminary in Ghana.

Interestingly, for a couple of years after that we had another priest from Ghana, Fr. Sylvester, who had at one time had been a student of Fr. Peter's in the seminary, residing and helping at the parish while he did his D.Min degree at another Boston area school.

Fr. Peter enjoyed his stay and ministry at the parish (and the parish loved him). In nearly every summer since his degree, he has been back at the parish for at least a month, making it easier for the other priests and their vacations.

I am assuming and hoping that this use of a foreign priest is not stealing from the African church.

Edward Pothier

Post subject: Re: Fr. Peter from Ghana
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:43 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
I know that we have another priest from Africa come and visit my parish, as well. It doesn't "hurt" that they are able to do some fund/supply raising while they are here. Our parish is fairly small, by most standards, but we do what we can. I believe Father O (cause I cannot pronounce his last name, and I have a hard time calling priests by their first names...) was a classmate of our current priest, when he was in seminary in CA...

Rachel

I want to be like Mrs B when I grow up!
I homeschool because I've seen the village, and I don't want it raising my children!