Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Monasteries, Etc.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:40 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
If this is not the proper forum for this topic, please move it. I am posting it here mainly because I figure this is where it will get most views and/or responses.

My twin brother is in desperate need of help (aside from drugs and psychological counseling, which don't seem to be helping at all), and I'm thinking of trying to convince him to go and stay at a monastery for a while, or some other place that could provide the same benefits.

I need suggestions/recommendations on good places to look into that (if possible) are cheap (or free??), don't necessarily have long waiting lists, and are well-reputed to be filled with very holy people and to have a profound impact on the people who go there seeking refuge from severe spiritual and emotional conflict.

Thank you so much for any and all help. Please pray for my brother Billy!

ImageImage

Post subject: Re: Monasteries, Etc.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:02 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Benedictine monasteries welcome guests. Many others do, as well. They usually ask for a donation, sometimes a specified amount per night, to help defer costs. Usually retreatants can go to prayer time and Mass and can meet with a confessor/spiritual director on request. At some monasteries men can join the monks for some or all meals, while at others they are expected to provide their own food.

Be cautious, though. Silence and solitude are very good for some people at some times and very troubling for other people at other times. Being alone, just yourself and God, can be difficult for people. I imagine this is especially true for people struggling with mental health issues. Perhaps you two could go together for a long weekend or something, if you think he could have trouble with it.

I'll pray for him.

"Take it as a certain sign that your charity is not genuine if your words, no matter how true, are not charitable." --St Francis de Sales

"The thing is--to be ready to die: and is there one of us who would quite like to die, doing as little for God as we are doing now?" --Fr Faber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:41 pm 
Middle Management
Middle Management

Clear Creek is an an excellent place.

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:03 pm 

Bon do the Carmelites in Wyoming allow people to come there too?

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:04 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Quote:
Be cautious, though. Silence and solitude are very good for some people at some times and very troubling for other people at other times. Being alone, just yourself and God, can be difficult for people. I imagine this is especially true for people struggling with mental health issues.

This is an excellent point that is actually making me reconsider my initial excitement at the possibility of sending him to a monastery. My brother is extremely lonely.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:20 pm 
Middle Management
Middle Management

St Veronica wrote:

SV

When I was there, they were not set up for people other than those discerning, but that was about 5-6 years ago. I'm afraid I don't know about now. Their website says that they want to be spiritual Fathers to souls, but I'm not sure if they want to have the new monastery built before they have those who are non-discerning visit.

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:35 pm 

Thanks Bon.

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:56 pm 
Middle Management
Middle Management

:salut:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:01 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Bonaventure wrote:
St Veronica wrote:

SV

When I was there, they were not set up for people other than those discerning, but that was about 5-6 years ago. I'm afraid I don't know about now. Their website says that they want to be spiritual Fathers to souls, but I'm not sure if they want to have the new monastery built before they have those who are non-discerning visit.

What I was there last year it was much the same. They certainly were welcoming if you made it out to the middle of nowhere and wanted to attend Mass, but there wasn't any room for visitors and there is not any nearby accommodations. I mean the only other buildings nearby are the parish and a small house (presumably a sort of rectory). They do have some contact with a larger community. I know sometimes they celebrate the Carmelite rite of Mass in the parish Church, and once a week in Yellowstone National Park (on a Saturday morning). And when some "nearby" parish priest went on retreat and therefore the parish did not have a TLM they moved their Sunday conventual Mass ahead to a later time to take in people who normally went to that Mass. So they must have some contact with a larger community. (Unfortunately that was the day I showed up, and I had to wait several hours outside because of that).

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:08 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

No advice but prayers for your brother.

"We never give more honour to Jesus than when we honour his Mother, and we honour her simply and solely to honour him all the more perfectly. We go to her only as a way leading to the goal we seek - Jesus, her Son."
-Saint Louis Marie de Montfort

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:11 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
I will pray for your brother as well. :pray: