Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: No patience - Stressors are exhausting me.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:02 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Roman Catholic
I'm kind of in a bad way; over the past few years I've slowly been losing any little bit of patience I used to have.... becoming wildly frustrated and aggravated over what most would consider mild annoyances that are easily ignored.

Things like a guy on my floor (close to where I sit) at work who types very loudly on his keyboard. Once he starts hitting his keys I can feel the anger rising - frantically running scenarios in my head as to how I can cope or address the issue.
Well, I've complained about his typing enough to others that it found it's way back to him and now it appears as if he might be doing some of it to spite me (as well as other people who work in his group).

But this is just one example. I'm close to certain that even if I were able to get him to stop that there would be something to 'fill the void' left.
As odd and demented as that sounds, I just have a feeling that him stopping the hard typing wouldn't really change a thing for me.
And it also appears that I'm the only one on the floor who gets this worked up over the issue.

But then there are other things too:
neighbor dog barking
neighbor revving his Corvette in his drive way
neighbor kid playing basketball
coworkers who have the audio 'dingers' turned on on their computers

My health is starting to be impacted by this as well.
I've developed itching on the back of my scalp.... intense itching sensations that don't go away (for awhile) regardless of how often or much I scratch.
Almost constantly on edge.

If anyone has any advice, any similar experiences, any prayers, any saints....
please help.

God bless.

Post subject: Re: No patience - Stressors are exhausting me.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:02 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
See your doctor.

:pray:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:36 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: OCDS
Taking a holiday of peace and quiet is paramount to being able to HEAR our lord.
Go somewhere and relax.

The image of the Mother of God demonstrates the basic spiritual attitude which corresponds to woman’s natural vocation; her relation to her husband is one of obedience, trust, and participation in his life as she furthers his objective tasks and personality development; to the child she gives true care, encouragement, and formation of his God-given talents; she offers both selfless surrender and a quiet withdrawal when unneeded. -
Edith Stein

Formerly Sunmumy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:56 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Endow facilitator
I agree with both suggestions. Perhaps your body is telling you it needs a little time to relax without stress, interruptions, and distractions. Or it may not be so much a "patience" issue as a physiological one.

That said, my husband often gets annoyed by "minor" noises when he feels a strong need for quiet--either when he's trying to concentrate on something mentally challenging, or trying to relax. When he's doing something that doesn't take much mental effort, but also isn't relaxing (running errands, working on the house, etc.), unwanted noise doesn't bother him at all.

He has to remind himself sometimes that other people do not "owe" him peace and quiet, whether they know he's working or not; therefore, he has to find a way to create that environment for himself. One thing that helps is either headphones (music or relaxing sounds to block out most noise), or earplugs (for work, he gets the kind that allows normal speech to be heard, but blocks other "background" noise; for relaxing, he gets the ones that just block out everything). I don't know if either would help you, but it might be worth a shot. :)

:pray: for you.

"Never read books you aren't sure about . . . even supposing that these bad books are very well written from a literary point of view. Let me ask you this: Would you drink something you knew was poisoned just because it was offered to you in a golden cup?" --St. John Bosco

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:05 am 
Neener Queen
Neener Queen

That your symptoms are auditorally triggered, I would see an ENT doctor. Sensitive hearing (or noise sensitivity) can be caused by ear infections, a drug/vitamin reaction, a lack of magnesium in your diet, or may indicate an actual hearing problem. Migraines can also cause this.

So while others may think this is all in your head, there may actually be a medical problem. Check it out.

You cannot have Jesus as your brother and then reject Mary as your mother. You cannot love His Father as your Father, and then refuse to love His mother.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:13 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

You've posted about this before, right?

I agree that you should see your doctor.

:pray:

"Take it as a certain sign that your charity is not genuine if your words, no matter how true, are not charitable." --St Francis de Sales

"The thing is--to be ready to die: and is there one of us who would quite like to die, doing as little for God as we are doing now?" --Fr Faber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:33 pm 
Highness
Highness

You're not the problem. THEY'RE the problems. Get rid of them.......

J/K. Seriously though, prayers that you get the help you need.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:54 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

VegasCane wrote:
You're not the problem. THEY'RE the problems. Get rid of them.......

:laughhard

I agree with the others. I'd suggest the following:

1. More prayer (specifically about this issue; pray for peace)
2. More reception of the sacraments
3. Doctor
4. Adoration

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:10 pm 
DCF Poet Laureate

Greetings:

First...don't drink more.

It's normal to stop and ponder,in hectic officers,and wonder why what
am I doing in this zoo.

Sounds as if,you need to work alone,or with one oddie only,as in a
truck partner.You could take out your frustrations as a UPS guy,they
seem the happiest.

by(e)carg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:07 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Logic
:wave I don't know who you are you what your story is but I been diagnosed with PTSD and a ream of other mental junk. That sensitivity to noise you speak of. I've had it. It would drive me so far up the wall I thought I was going to die and since I couldn't make the noise stop I started having these visions of cutting the skin off my arm with a broken bottle. I know that sounds disturbing but somewhere in my head it started to feel like the right thing to do. I "knew" that it would fix the problem. Luckily I was never dumb enough to do it. I had good people around to talk me out of it. I was pregnant during the time and months after giving birth it started going away. The noise issue comes back every now and then but never as bad as it was. Go see a doctor before it drives you to far nuts.
:fyi: I typed this very softly. :)

p.falk wrote:
I'm kind of in a bad way; over the past few years I've slowly been losing any little bit of patience I used to have.... becoming wildly frustrated and aggravated over what most would consider mild annoyances that are easily ignored.

Things like a guy on my floor (close to where I sit) at work who types very loudly on his keyboard. Once he starts hitting his keys I can feel the anger rising - frantically running scenarios in my head as to how I can cope or address the issue.
Well, I've complained about his typing enough to others that it found it's way back to him and now it appears as if he might be doing some of it to spite me (as well as other people who work in his group).

But this is just one example. I'm close to certain that even if I were able to get him to stop that there would be something to 'fill the void' left.
As odd and demented as that sounds, I just have a feeling that him stopping the hard typing wouldn't really change a thing for me.
And it also appears that I'm the only one on the floor who gets this worked up over the issue.

But then there are other things too:
neighbor dog barking
neighbor revving his Corvette in his drive way
neighbor kid playing basketball
coworkers who have the audio 'dingers' turned on on their computers

My health is starting to be impacted by this as well.
I've developed itching on the back of my scalp.... intense itching sensations that don't go away (for awhile) regardless of how often or much I scratch.
Almost constantly on edge.

If anyone has any advice, any similar experiences, any prayers, any saints....
please help.

God bless.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:06 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Roman Catholic
Thanks for all of the replies everyone.

A crazy little thing happened today:

I was going to try my best to not focus or brood over the noise.
If I get distracted by it I wasn't going to dwell on it but being accepting of the fact that I won't be able to magically stop noticing it (at least not right away).

Today started off bad - I wake up to get ready for work when my wife informs me that our basement had water in it from a storm we had lastnight.
We just moved into this house about a year ago and have had this problem 4 times - the 3rd time I thought it was finally remedied.... but it wasn't (so I learned today).
Terribly frustrated - angry that the previous homeowners didn't disclose that to us.... angry at myself for not following up with an attorney immediately after the first time we had water in our basement.

I get to work and this guy is just pounding away at his keys (hunt and peck type typer).
So loud that my other coworkers are commenting "you can tell he's angry today" (about the guys typing).

So I'm sitting there at my desk; thinking about the basement problem, the previous owners lack of honesty regarding it, my incompetence to address the root of the problem right away, and a slew of other things.... but not to leave out, this guy's typing.

If there's something bothering me I usually want to deal with the person first (before going to their manager), but I've been warned that this guy would be the type to further antagonize a person if he knew it bothered someone.
My head literally felt like it was spinning out of exhaustion and frustration I said a prayer along the lines of "I'm at my wits end. I know my reaction to this is petty, but it's not enough to just realize it. I can't handle this anymore. I feel alone and slowly losing it - embarrassed over how trivial an issue this is."

I walked to my boss's office just to tell him that I am going to address the loud typer, but if it backfires if he'd be willing to go to his boss (the loud typer and I have different bosses).

Before I even get a chance to say a word my boss says "well you might like this. Tom (the loud typers boss) is going to be hiring some more people and he's going to need extra space. He's willing to pay for our move to another area if we offer up the cubicles that are currently under our cost center."

I couldn't believe it.... and until we move I'll still have a hard time believing it.

But wow.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:18 pm 
Neener Queen
Neener Queen

:D

God is amazing. I pray for patience for you until the move happens.

You cannot have Jesus as your brother and then reject Mary as your mother. You cannot love His Father as your Father, and then refuse to love His mother.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:23 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
God is good!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:06 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Endow facilitator
Awesome! :clap: and :pray:

"Never read books you aren't sure about . . . even supposing that these bad books are very well written from a literary point of view. Let me ask you this: Would you drink something you knew was poisoned just because it was offered to you in a golden cup?" --St. John Bosco

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:14 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

It's great to see the ways God answer our prayers. Even our most trivia concerns.
:clap: :clap:

We must neither doubt nor hesitate with respect to the words of the Lord; rather, we must be fully persuaded that every word of God is true and possible, even if our nature should rebel against the idea-for in this lies the test of faith.
St. Basil the Great