Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Legionaries of Christ and Exorcism
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:29 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Eorlingean Catholic
Church Affiliations: KC
In 2000, the Regina Apostolorum campus in Rome was opened. Run by the Legionaries of Christ, this campus became home in or around 2005 to the courses or syllabus entitled "Exorcism and Prayers of Liberation". This course is what exorcists-in-training from the world over take.

I don't offer this information as a "white-monk-flying-black-helicopters" kind of conspiracy. On the other hand, in one way you can see which hand Satan was most intent on striking. The LC's have definitely been dealt a blow. I hope it has not caused problems for the priests who would be receiving their exorcist training there.

Perhaps there are other such places that bishops send priests to learn to become an exorcist, I don't know. I only just came across this information.

Post subject: Re: Legionaries of Christ and Exorcism
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:28 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Hmmm, that is interesting. One has to wonder, which is Satan's blow - to the Legion for being in such an important role? Or is the blow to the church, in the form of putting an order of possibly malformed priests, with a questionable charism, in a role that certainly requires discernment and a strong foundation? I don't know much about the Regina Apostolorum campus in Rome. Is it completely run and taught by LC's, and is it for everyone, not just their own?

"Do not think that I have come to bring peace on earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man's foes will be those of his own household." - Mt 10:34-36
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"The future of the world passes through the family." - John Paul II

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:43 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
ThyKingdomCome wrote:
Hmmm, that is interesting. One has to wonder, which is Satan's blow - to the Legion for being in such an important role? Or is the blow to the church, in the form of putting an order of possibly malformed priests, with a questionable charism, in a role that certainly requires discernment and a strong foundation? I don't know much about the Regina Apostolorum campus in Rome. Is it completely run and taught by LC's, and is it for everyone, not just their own?

I think it is definitely the latter since the Legion's problems date to long before 2000.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:28 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

To be completely clear on this matter, the LC's were hosting the classes a few years back but weren't teaching most of them. I think they may have been teaching one class out of the short curriculum.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:30 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

ThyKingdomCome wrote:
Hmmm, that is interesting. One has to wonder, which is Satan's blow -

I think Satan's biggest blow is that as of maybe five years ago there were a grand total of fourteen trained exorcists in the entire US. That is the much larger picture.

Does your diocese have an exorcist?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:09 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

BlueyedMule wrote:
ThyKingdomCome wrote:

I think Satan's biggest blow is that as of maybe five years ago there were a grand total of fourteen trained exorcists in the entire US. That is the much larger picture.

I don't know if my diocese has one, but I'd guess not. And I definitely agree with you that Satan has already been at work to get it to that number. But that also predates the formation of this school I'm sure, so I'm not following that connection that you might (?) be making. Could you clarify? Are you meaning to say that you're supportive of the LC's having the school?

"Do not think that I have come to bring peace on earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man's foes will be those of his own household." - Mt 10:34-36

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:58 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
BlueyedMule wrote:

Yes.

http://www.arkansas-catholic.org/article.php?id=2195

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:08 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

ThyKingdomCome wrote:
BlueyedMule wrote:
ThyKingdomCome wrote:

I don't know if my diocese has one, but I'd guess not. And I definitely agree with you that Satan has already been at work to get it to that number. But that also predates the formation of this school I'm sure, so I'm not following that connection that you might (?) be making. Could you clarify? Are you meaning to say that you're supportive of the LC's having the school?

Mmmm. . .I wasn't really trying to make a BIG connection, like "look at those evil, bad LC's who mucked up the exorcist classes", but more like, "hmmm, kinda like Satan bagged two birds with one stone". I hate what happened with the LC's, I've often heard great, great things about individual priests. I had been given this impression by people who were close to LC priests that they were like the Marine Corp of the priesthood--I mean that in a good way. Ya know, hard core, gung ho, 110%, no-holds-barred, total Sons of Mary, well-trained, etc. So I'm not interested in trashing the order--they've got enough suffering and trouble. And, as I said before, I don't think they did much more than host the exorcism classes and maybe teach one of them.

So it's like Satan managed to cause a lot of trouble for a lot of good priests and maybe short-circuit the little fledgling exorcism training curriculum. Meanwhile, every diocese is supposed to have one trained exorcist who works under the authority of his bishop.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:30 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

BlueyedMule wrote:
ThyKingdomCome wrote:
BlueyedMule wrote:
ThyKingdomCome wrote:

Mmmm. . .I wasn't really trying to make a BIG connection, like "look at those evil, bad LC's who mucked up the exorcist classes", but more like, "hmmm, kinda like Satan bagged two birds with one stone". I hate what happened with the LC's, I've often heard great, great things about individual priests. I had been given this impression by people who were close to LC priests that they were like the Marine Corp of the priesthood--I mean that in a good way. Ya know, hard core, gung ho, 110%, no-holds-barred, total Sons of Mary, well-trained, etc. So I'm not interested in trashing the order--they've got enough suffering and trouble. And, as I said before, I don't think they did much more than host the exorcism classes and maybe teach one of them.

So it's like Satan managed to cause a lot of trouble for a lot of good priests and maybe short-circuit the little fledgling exorcism training curriculum. Meanwhile, every diocese is supposed to have one trained exorcist who works under the authority of his bishop.

Gotcha. I wouldn't want to trash the LC's either. I am actually a member of their Lay Movement, Regnum Christi, but I have stepped away since the scandal broke, and there's a possibility I'll leave for good eventually. That said, I've had only positive experiences with the few Legionaries that I've known personally, and the whole situation is very troubling and very sad, particularly for these men who have dedicated their lives to serving Christ. No I wouldn't have expected them to totally muck up the classes either. But since I think Satan had a fairly strong influence on their Founder, and possibly from early on, there are real questions about the qualifications of the people whose spirituality he formed to be teaching about recognizing evil etc... So yeah I agree, with the actions of their founder, Satan has struck a huge blow, which sadly carries over onto things like the exorcist classes. I am glad to hear that they have hosted, but not monopolized the classes. Perhaps, Satan has just been fighting that battle to eliminate our exorcists on another front altogether and this is all just a bad co-oincidence.