Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 27 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: book: why i am catholic...your thoughts?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:14 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: RCIA(ish)
BlueyedMule wrote:
BB, how sharp of you to pick up on the dissenting tone of Willis in this book. You, sir, are more perceptive than many, many cultural Catholics. You've moved up to the front row of the class already!! :D Nice work! :laughhard Proud of ya, son. . .. :salut:

I'm only at the front of the class because I failed it last year, am repeating the class now and I misbehave and daydream in the back of the classroom. Besides if I was that bright I would have thought of the imprimatur. ::):

Well thanks for the compliment. I guess I've learned a bit from my time here huh? Well, I've had such good teachers. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:21 pm 
Adept
Adept

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Many good Catholic books don't have an imprimatur, since it's really only required for teaching materials. And, sadly, there is some garbage that does have an imprimatur.

Yeah I've noticed some good books don't have it... Peter Kreeft for example (I'm sure he and his books are not infallible at all, but he does have some good stuff too). But I did NOT know that rubbish could still be printed with the imprimatur! Thanks for the heads up!
kage_ar wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Many good Catholic books don't have an imprimatur, since it's really only required for teaching materials. And, sadly, there is some garbage that does have an imprimatur.

Having looked at books donated to the Parish Library, I can add a hearty AMEN, PREACH IT FATHER to this!

So...what's the value in having it then?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:23 pm 
Adept
Adept

Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
His version of history is very suspect. It is one thing to argue that Peter was never in Rome (which I already find untenable, even by secular standards) but he argues that there were no bishops at all until after the 2nd century....and that no scholar holds. The Didache, the letters to and from Clement "bishop of Rome" preclude such a fanciful interpretation. And disinterested scholars would scorn it too

He has an axe to grind and is no scholar.

Good point. I could catch his tone, but I don't know my history well enough to know when he isn't being forthright...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:27 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
baptist bumble wrote:

With books written before the mid-sixties, it's very reliable. Even after that point, if you need a quick decision, it can be helpful.

But I usually apply my "blurb imprimatur" theory. I don't care what the blurbs actually say. If they're written by people whom I've already found to be reliable and trustworthy, then the book in question probably is too. If they're written by people I know write nonsense, the odds are good that the book is nonsense.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:42 pm 
Adept
Adept

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
baptist bumble wrote:

With books written before the mid-sixties, it's very reliable. Even after that point, if you need a quick decision, it can be helpful.

But I usually apply my "blurb imprimatur" theory. I don't care what the blurbs actually say. If they're written by people whom I've already found to be reliable and trustworthy, then the book in question probably is too. If they're written by people I know write nonsense, the odds are good that the book is nonsense.

I like your blurb rule...but how does a newbie figure out who reliable and who should be avoided for their nonsense?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:44 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Tip #1: Blurbs by "gherkin" are a bad sign.

Tip #2: You can start with the "reliable publisher" approach. You don't even have to buy the books. Ignatius Press is a good place to start; look at the names of the authors who write books for them, and use them to learn which authors for other publishers are good.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:49 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Eorlingean Catholic
Church Affiliations: KC
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Tip #1: Blurbs by "gherkin" are a bad sign.

Tip #2: You can start with the "reliable publisher" approach. You don't even have to buy the books. Ignatius Press is a good place to start; look at the names of the authors who write books for them, and use them to learn which authors for other publishers are good.

That there's two wise bits. :salut: I watch the publishers--certain ones are out, others are wishy-washy, and then there's the solid folks like Ignatius and Sophia Press, and then some are mostly rock solid but sprint too far off the track at times to the other extreme, as in HTTP, meaning "Holier Than The Pope".

I really like Sophia, they've made it a mission to bring back some great books that otherwise might have slipped off the map totally.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 27 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2