Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]   
Author Message
 Post subject: What an inter-faith wedding!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:46 pm 
Offline
Deceased
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:45 pm
Posts: 6695
Location: Boston (Roslindale), MA
Religion: Catholic
Talk about an inter-faith wedding – the official witness, the groom, and the bride are all of different faiths.


http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/10/nyreg ... einer.html

Quote:
Bill Clinton is not giving away his daughter Chelsea’s hand in marriage for another three weeks. But he is going to get a little practice at the altar on Saturday, when he officiates at the wedding of Representative Anthony D. Weiner and Huma Abedin, a longtime aide to Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton.


Mr. Weiner, 45, has been a longtime ally of Mrs. Clinton. Mr. Weiner, who is Jewish, has also been considered one of the most eligible bachelors on Capitol Hill. Ms. Abedin, 34, who grew up in Saudi Arabia and is Muslim, was once featured in a Vogue fashion spread.


A version of this article appeared in print on July 10, 2010, on page A16 of the New York edition.



Edward Pothier


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What an inter-faith wedding!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:29 pm 
Offline
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 6:34 pm
Posts: 3515
Location: See of Peter
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: OCDS
Edward Pothier wrote:
Talk about an inter-faith wedding – the official witness, the groom, and the bride are all of different faiths.


http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/10/nyreg ... einer.html

Quote:
Bill Clinton is not giving away his daughter Chelsea’s hand in marriage for another three weeks. But he is going to get a little practice at the altar on Saturday, when he officiates at the wedding of Representative Anthony D. Weiner and Huma Abedin, a longtime aide to Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton.


Mr. Weiner, 45, has been a longtime ally of Mrs. Clinton. Mr. Weiner, who is Jewish, has also been considered one of the most eligible bachelors on Capitol Hill. Ms. Abedin, 34, who grew up in Saudi Arabia and is Muslim, was once featured in a Vogue fashion spread.


A version of this article appeared in print on July 10, 2010, on page A16 of the New York edition.



Edward Pothier


And here I thought I'd heard dumb wedding ceremonies, I really would pay to see what that celebrant says. "I hereby marry you both in my religion, which neither of you espouses...." :laughhard :laughhard

_________________
The image of the Mother of God demonstrates the basic spiritual attitude which corresponds to woman’s natural vocation; her relation to her husband is one of obedience, trust, and participation in his life as she furthers his objective tasks and personality development; to the child she gives true care, encouragement, and formation of his God-given talents; she offers both selfless surrender and a quiet withdrawal when unneeded. -
Edith Stein

Formerly Sunmumy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What an inter-faith wedding!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:39 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2003 9:25 pm
Posts: 10373
Location: As I understand it.....in God's will. This is the best place to be.
Religion: Orthodox (In Communion With Rome)
Church Affiliations: Past Grand Knight KoC 15107
I don't understand the point of having a religious wedding for these people in the first place. They don't give a rat's rear end about God, His Church, His Bible, or anything that He has said. Why bother going through the motions of something that you despise.

For all the good it did them (i.e., no sacramental grace at all) they might as well have had a ceremony of "jumping the broom".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What an inter-faith wedding!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:40 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:04 am
Posts: 6366
Location: "Fish-shape Paumanok where I was born"
Light of the East wrote:
I don't understand the point of having a religious wedding for these people in the first place.


Who says they are having a religious wedding?

_________________
BOSWELL: "Have not they vexed yourself a little, Sir? Have not you been vexed by all the turbulence of this reign?"
JOHNSON: "Sir, I have never slept an hour less, nor eat an ounce less meat. I would have knocked the factious dogs on the head, to be sure; but I was not vexed."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What an inter-faith wedding!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:30 pm 
Offline
Deceased
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:45 pm
Posts: 6695
Location: Boston (Roslindale), MA
Religion: Catholic
Custos wrote:
Light of the East wrote:
I don't understand the point of having a religious wedding for these people in the first place.


Who says they are having a religious wedding?
Yes, in my original post I did not mean to imply that the ceremony was going to be a religious one. It is a purely civil marriage as far as I know, with President Clinton (a Christian) acting in a JP-like manner in the wedding of a Jewish man and a Muslim woman..

Neither Judaism nor Islam is at all in favor of such a wedding!


Edward Pothier


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What an inter-faith wedding!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:11 pm 
Offline
DCF Poet Laureate
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2003 11:13 pm
Posts: 8171
Religion: Catholic
Greetings:

...the fourth major religion(Wiccanism) should be there too.Let me
see,who would be the best to fit this requirement...???

by(e)carg

_________________
Forward to the cliffs.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What an inter-faith wedding!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:26 am 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:54 pm
Posts: 5050
Location: Diocese of Austin, TX
Religion: Catholic
crossquad wrote:
Greetings:

...the fourth major religion(Wiccanism) should be there too.Let me
see,who would be the best to fit this requirement...???

by(e)carg


gherkin :fyi:

_________________
Formerly Known as Louis-Marie Flambeau and RaginCajunJoe

"Be of good heart ... you who are children of Mary. Remember that she accepts as her children all those who choose to be so. Rejoice! Why do you fear to be lost, when such a a Mother defends and protects you?" - St. Alphonsus Liguori

"Blessed Virgin Mary - Immaculate Mother of God. Crushes Satan's head in her spare time." - CCB


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]   


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


Jump to:  
cron