Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 3   [ 45 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, the pastor wants to meet with me...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:23 pm 
Tazer Queen
Tazer Queen

Religion: Catholic
Jeanne has been my hero since that day (or should that be heroine). She's DA BOMB.

No, seriously, Jeanne, you are.
--Ann

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:31 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
sparky wrote:
Jeanne has been my hero since that day (or should that be heroine). She's DA BOMB.

No, seriously, Jeanne, you are.
--Ann

Same here.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:47 pm 

I remember the almost weekly installments from Jeanne before she converted....nothing like having sermons preached to a whole congregation but really meant for one person.

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:01 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: OCDS
[quote="Jeanne D'arc"]My DH's Presbyterian session put me on trial (!) because they wouldn't just remove my name from their rolls. I had to appear before them and give account for myself. This happened the night before I came into the Church. They declared me to be a heretic, apostate and "turned me over to Satan." /quote]

:salut: :salut: :salut: :salut:

The image of the Mother of God demonstrates the basic spiritual attitude which corresponds to woman’s natural vocation; her relation to her husband is one of obedience, trust, and participation in his life as she furthers his objective tasks and personality development; to the child she gives true care, encouragement, and formation of his God-given talents; she offers both selfless surrender and a quiet withdrawal when unneeded. -
Edith Stein

Formerly Sunmumy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:27 am 
Master
Master

Religion: Catholic, praise God
Jeanne D'arc wrote:
My DH's Presbyterian session put me on trial (!) because they wouldn't just remove my name from their rolls. I had to appear before them and give account for myself. This happened the night before I came into the Church. They declared me to be a heretic, apostate and "turned me over to Satan." Yeah. It's all in their minutes. These six men, including one man who makes his living as a Greek scholar, were shocked that a little housewife would stand up to them and tell them that they were wrong!

Good times.

DH can never serve on session of a PCA church because his wife is "not in line." :shock:

I am horrified. Stunned. Gobsmacked. (((Jeanne))))

Quote:
I'd avoid that little meeting like the plague, Mea.

I felt rather rebellious when I said I wouldn't meet with them, but there's no way I would meet with *anyone* other than the person I might be training to replace me. I know how those Prots are. :laughhard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:10 am 
DIY Guru Moderator
DIY Guru Moderator

Religion: Jesus said, "This IS My Body!"
Make sure to thank Mr. Mea for his ongoing love and support. He is in a rough position, especially if they attempt to use him to chastise you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:13 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: RCIA(ish)
I'm a technically a pastor and I have a degree in Biblical Studies and I STILL don't think I'm ready to face a meeting like that! Id avoid that meeting like the plague...what's the worst they can do to you? Fire you, ask you to leave early... but do be ready in case you get an impromptu ambush :)

Jeanne I did not realize all that...that takes some fortitude and is encouraging to me at least.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:16 am 
Master
Master

The M Word wrote:
Make sure to thank Mr. Mea for his ongoing love and support. He is in a rough position, especially if they attempt to use him to chastise you.

You bet I will. He's one great guy. :cloud9: And yes, he's in a rough position, especially since he's a deacon, the Royal Rangers commander, and the Sound Guy...not as formal or official as being a pastor or anything, but still in front of people and still in a position of authority (albeit in a small way).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:25 am 
Master
Master

baptist bumble wrote:
I'm a technically a pastor and I have a degree in Biblical Studies and I STILL don't think I'm ready to face a meeting like that! I'd avoid that meeting like the plague...what's the worst they can do to you? Fire you, ask you to leave early... but do be ready in case you get an impromptu ambush :)

It's interesting...what started my conversation with the pastor about my leaving is something that the Assemblies of God is requiring now of its leaders (don't need to go into it, really) with which I *strongly* disagree. I told the pastor that I would not do this, and that I would resign because of it. When he pushed me and gave me some good arguments for staying and officially protesting, I had to 'fess up and tell him I'd be resigning anyway because I was going back to the Catholic Church (doggonit--I was hoping the girls' ministries thing would be my Easy Button ::): ). The other day when I got the e-mail saying we needed to meet, he brought up the AG Girls' Ministries thing instead of the Church. Surely he did not forget about that.

It's been almost a week now, and he has still not replied to my refusal. What's up with that? Maybe his head did explode after all. ::):

And I still need to tell the parents (all two of them...it's a very small group). I am NOT looking forward to that.

At any rate, my spidey senses are all tingly and on the lookout for any guerilla tactics. ::):

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:02 pm 
DIY Guru Moderator
DIY Guru Moderator

Religion: Jesus said, "This IS My Body!"
Mea, how long are you going to continue in a teaching role? It seems like it is in direct conflict with your planned course of action and would require you to skirt the truth wherein their teachings do not agree with Catholicism. I am wondering if this is spiritually healthy for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:43 pm 
Master
Master

The M Word wrote:
Mea, how long are you going to continue in a teaching role? It seems like it is in direct conflict with your planned course of action and would require you to skirt the truth wherein their teachings do not agree with Catholicism. I am wondering if this is spiritually healthy for you.

August. I don't think a unit on puppets will be problematic.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:50 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
As you know, I'm a priest. I would be most unhappy with someone teaching the children of my parish anything at all if I knew that person was planning on leaving the Church.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:06 pm 
Master
Master

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
As you know, I'm a priest. I would be most unhappy with someone teaching the children of my parish anything at all if I knew that person was planning on leaving the Church.

Oh, man...y'all keep giving me such serious things to think about!

So, you think I should just walk away? even if I leave everyone in the lurch?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:12 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yes. You know what? The world will keep spinning. They will find someone. Life will go on. And you will be acting in a way that is more in accord with what you know to be true.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:04 pm 
Master
Master

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Yes. You know what? The world will keep spinning. They will find someone. Life will go on. And you will be acting in a way that is more in accord with what you know to be true.

Doggonit. Y'all keep telling me true things!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:27 pm 

He's annoying like that.

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:28 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Tru dat.

"Take it as a certain sign that your charity is not genuine if your words, no matter how true, are not charitable." --St Francis de Sales

"The thing is--to be ready to die: and is there one of us who would quite like to die, doing as little for God as we are doing now?" --Fr Faber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:33 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

:bis:

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:22 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

"Every truth without exception--and whoever may utter it--is from the Holy Ghost."
St. Thomas Aquinas: Summa Theologica, I-2, 109, I. (13th cent.)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:36 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: OCDS
mea wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Oh, man...y'all keep giving me such serious things to think about!

So, you think I should just walk away? even if I leave everyone in the lurch?

I'm unhappy with people who teach religious ed and openly advocated the Catholic church's teachings too, and I knew someone who did that, so you bet your cookies those parents could be quite ticked off at your pastor too, and in leaving I might make that point. He will probably want to sweep your leaving under the carpet for that reason.....

The image of the Mother of God demonstrates the basic spiritual attitude which corresponds to woman’s natural vocation; her relation to her husband is one of obedience, trust, and participation in his life as she furthers his objective tasks and personality development; to the child she gives true care, encouragement, and formation of his God-given talents; she offers both selfless surrender and a quiet withdrawal when unneeded. -
Edith Stein

Formerly Sunmumy.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 3   [ 45 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next