Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 3   [ 45 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: So, the pastor wants to meet with me...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:58 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Catholic
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
You may find much of this http://www.newmanreader.org/works/england/index.html stunningly familiar, 150 years later and the width of the Atlantic Ocean away.
Quite. This prejudice aspect is part of what led me to the Catholic Church. At first it was just a standing up for what was true against the bigotry, then it was the realization that the CCC made better sense of the Bible than any variation of Protestantism I'd ever seen and then it was the ugliness of a Protest that relies on lies to remain in a state of protest. Once you see it, you know, it's just not Christian, since true Christianity would never be afraid of the truth. Of course, I learned later that Chesterton, Howard, Newman and many others had put it much better, many years ago. Thanks for the link, it's engaging reading! I've only read Newman's Development, other than some of these, so far, I have a copy of his Apologia, but it will be a few months before I get to it.

ἄξιος εἶ, ὁ κύριος καὶ ὁ θεὸς ἡμῶν, λαβεῖν τὴν δόξαν καὶ τὴν τιμὴν καὶ τὴν δύναμιν, ὅτι σὺ ἔκτισας τὰ πάντα, καὶ διὰ τὸ θέλημά σου ἦσαν καὶ ἐκτίσθησαν. Ἀποκάλυψις 4:11

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:58 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Eorlingean Catholic
Church Affiliations: KC
mea wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Yes. You know what? The world will keep spinning. They will find someone. Life will go on. And you will be acting in a way that is more in accord with what you know to be true.

Doggonit. Y'all keep telling me true things!

God chastises those he loves. He just picks the tall priest as his rod of correction cos he sticks up so much further. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:10 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Church Affiliations: KoC
Jeanne D'arc wrote:
My DH's Presbyterian session put me on trial (!) because they wouldn't just remove my name from their rolls. I had to appear before them and give account for myself. This happened the night before I came into the Church. They declared me to be a heretic, apostate and "turned me over to Satan." Yeah. It's all in their minutes. These six men, including one man who makes his living as a Greek scholar, were shocked that a little housewife would stand up to them and tell them that they were wrong!

Good times.

DH can never serve on session of a PCA church because his wife is "not in line." :shock:

I'd avoid that little meeting like the plague, Mea.

You are my Hero!

BTW who is serving and where?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:23 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Church Affiliations: KoC
I posted this having just read your post...it turns out that you are a hero to many more....

One more thing...when the Paster at the Methodist Church told me that SHE would never take a stand on Missouri Prop 2 (or B I can't remember) legislation on fetal stem cell research because it might offend people...I left and never went back...

I was on the church board and felt a little bad about walking but I reasoned that there should be a price for NOT taking a stand on social issues.

I mean really...if the church can't take a stand, a stand for life, what good are they?

The Methodist are so proud of their "Pro-Choice" stance it took me more than an hour of deliberate searching on the website to find out that they are very sorry but they are Pro-Death.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:02 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
mea wrote:
... And I still need to tell the parents (all two of them...it's a very small group). I am NOT looking forward to that...

So... how did the parents take it? :)

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

- I remember a lot of things. (Some of which actually happened.)

- Even the best of men may be born in times unsuited to their virtues.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 3   [ 45 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3