Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 8 of 9   [ 170 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Facts About You - Game
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:21 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Catholic
Jerome_2 wrote:
My mum and her sister were pregnant at the same time, her sister mentioned that she liked a particular name, I was born before my cousin and got the name, he was born a month later.
"Yet man is born unto trouble, as the sparks fly upward." Sounds like an event that could put either the 'fun' or the 'fu' in 'dysfunctional.'

I was named after the "Caleb" in the Jeremiah Johnson movie, rather than the Bible, but you win.

ἄξιος εἶ, ὁ κύριος καὶ ὁ θεὸς ἡμῶν, λαβεῖν τὴν δόξαν καὶ τὴν τιμὴν καὶ τὴν δύναμιν, ὅτι σὺ ἔκτισας τὰ πάντα, καὶ διὰ τὸ θέλημά σου ἦσαν καὶ ἐκτίσθησαν. Ἀποκάλυψις 4:11

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:35 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Papist all the way
I played an extra in an episode of "Unsolved Mysteries" and got paid for it!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:14 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Jerome_2 wrote:
It gets worse, my dad is a big sixties music fan and named me after some of his favourite singers, thankfully I go by my forename.
:shock: Sorry, Ringo Hendrix Greenbaum Clapton Del Shannon, but at least Rolling Stones gather no moss.

ἄξιος εἶ, ὁ κύριος καὶ ὁ θεὸς ἡμῶν, λαβεῖν τὴν δόξαν καὶ τὴν τιμὴν καὶ τὴν δύναμιν, ὅτι σὺ ἔκτισας τὰ πάντα, καὶ διὰ τὸ θέλημά σου ἦσαν καὶ ἐκτίσθησαν. Ἀποκάλυψις 4:11

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:38 am 
Deactived by request

:wave

Last edited by Sea&Sky on Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:40 am 
Deceased

An interesting thing about me that not too many people know –

I am a co-author with Loretta Dauwe (and about 60 of our collaborators) of 6 published Physics research articles. We all were involved in two conjoined High Energy Physics experiments performed in the late 1980's and early 1990's at FERMILAB, a federal government sponsored particle accelerator laboratory in Illinois)

What makes this a little interesting and gives it a Catholic tinge too is that Loretta, in addition to having been a PhD level Physics researcher and a tenured Physics professor at University of Michigan-Flint, was also a Catholic religious sister in the Congregation of the Precious Blood Sisters of Dayton, Ohio. She was known and addressed by most folks at the lab as "Loretta" and as "Sister Loretta" by a few (not all of whom were Catholic!).The reason the past tense was used in the previous sentences is that I found out late in 2008 that she had died of pancreatic cancer in June 0f 2008.

Reading some of the online obituaries and memorials, I learned some new things and had some others brought back to memory.

She was about a month younger than I, and when she died in June of 2008 she was 61 years old and had been in the Precious Blood Sisters for 44 years. She had entered shortly after high school, which was common in those days (1964). After (and during summers while) teaching at some high schools of her community, she earned her bachelors and masters degrees.

Eventually she got her PhD from Purdue University in High Energy Particle Physics, followed by a post-doctoral position at Notre Dame. In 1985 she started teaching at the University of Michigan-Flint, a remote campus of the University of Michigan system, and eventually received tenure. During the time we worked together in the collaborations involved in the FERMILAB experiments, she was vice-chair of her department at her university (what kind of a university has a religious sister in charge of vice?) I noticed that when she went on terminal medical leave for her cancer, she was chair of the department.

Back when Loretta entered the Precious Blood Sisters she had a religious name for a short while (Sr. Jane Mariel). She may also have had a religious habit in the early days, but by the time and location (late 1980's and at a physics research lab) I never saw it. The closest would be her faculty website photograph which depicted clothes she also sometimes wore at FERMILAB. Since the lab was a working research environment, she often wore slacks and a blouse or sweatshirt.

Sr. Loretta Dauwe
1946-2008
Attachment:
loretta_dauwe.JPG

Edward Pothier

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:42 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
So, Edward is like really smart, dude.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:53 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
and all this time we just thought he was a s.... a.. :mrgreen: :wave

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:20 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I feel inspired.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:45 pm 
Defender
Defender

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: Catholic Monarchy
faithfulservant wrote:

Heck, I thought he was only a sex freak. Now I see that he is a brilliant sex freak.

"To say that God turns away from the sinful is like saying that the sun hides from the blind." St. Anthony the Great (of the desert)

"There are those who hate Christianity and call their hatred an all-embracing love for all religions." — G.K. Chesterton

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:47 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Becca wrote:
Hey, Root of Jesse, I was in our local group of Up With People around about 1970. We were actually on a local television station performing for some businessmen. It was fun, but a bit cheesy.

Was that "Sing Out"? We got a lot of our talent from them. When I think back about the whole experience, especially through Catholic eyes, I cringe...Not that they were anti-religion, I think they were areligious. I never remember being given the time to attend church services of any kind, though most of the time our hosts came from churches. In fact, I became interested when we hosted a couple of castmembers the previous year, through church.

http://rootofjesse2.wordpress.com/

Sancte Michael Archangele,
defende nos in proelio;
contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Imperet illi Deus, supplices deprecamur:
tuque, Princeps militiae Caelestis,
satanam aliosque spiritus malignos,
qui ad perditionem animarum pervagantur in mundo,
divina virtute in infernum detrude.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:38 pm 
Deceased

kage_ar wrote:
Nah, faithfulservant is closer to the truth.
faithfulservant wrote:
I do have some smarts; but am certainly under- credentialed by advanced degrees. I decided not to let my learning be hampered by my education!

After graduating from Northeastern University in Boston in 1969 with my bachelors in Physics (5 year cooperative education program so I had almost 2 years of work experience), I started a PhD program at MIT. But I dropped out at end of first year – the years 1969-1971 were certainly times of conflict.

I got back into the field of high energy particle physics by dropping over to the MIT group with whom I worked during my Northeastern undergrad co-op work. They needed someone with my skills immediately. So I was hired temporarily and worked 3 months for MIT, then 3 months for Harvard on the exact same project. It was just a paperwork switch; and my supervisor for both parts was a professor from a different university.

When this temporary stuff was ending, Northeastern (also a member of the same collaboration) offered me a "permanent" job. I worked for the High Energy Physics Group at Northeastern for nearly 25 years, i.e. 1971-1996. I was a weekly-pay staff member, not faculty.

It was during this period that I got to know the Northeastern group and other physicists with whom we collaborated in FERMILAB experiments. Included would be people such as Sr. Loretta Dauwe whom I wrote about previously.

It is indeed humbling to work with such smart people. I never did get an advanced degree. One of my professor-supervisors wrote one of my yearly evaluations for the HR department and commented, "Pothier, due to a quirk of personality, never earned a PhD …".I was quite valuable to the experiments, due to my years of experience and a willingness and ability to do detailed computer work.

Edward Pothier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:53 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Edward Pothier wrote:
Sr. Loretta Dauwe
"Eternal rest grant unto her, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon her." :pray:

Edward Pothier wrote:
"Pothier, due to a quirk of personality…"
:swoon Woulda' never put your name and the word "quirk" together. :P
That being said, in a world commonly educated beyond it's intelligence, it's refreshing to see the obverse.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:03 pm 
Deceased

Sirius wrote:
Edward Pothier wrote:
Sr. Loretta Dauwe
"Eternal rest grant unto her, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon her." :pray:

Edward Pothier (quoting a supervisor) wrote:
"Pothier, due to a quirk of personality…"
:swoon Woulda' never put your name and the word "quirk" together. :P
That being said, in a world commonly educated beyond it's intelligence, it's refreshing to see the obverse.
Actually, "quirky" is one of the nicest and most accurate descriptions of me!.
Athanasius wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:

Heck, I thought he was only a sex freak. Now I see that he is a brilliant sex freak.

See what I'm called! But I am not a sex freak; I only seem like that because of a medical condition.

In the TV sitcom The Golden Girls (1985-1992) one of the four women, Dorothy (Bea Arthur), explained the her mother Sophia (Estelle Getty) had suffered a stroke which destroyed the speech inhibitor part of her brain so that she just spoke out whatever came to mind, without the normal inhibitions that most people have.

Although I have no medical confirmation [yet], I would not be surprised that my inhibiting self-censor has also been destroyed so that I am liable to say or type whatever comes to my mind.

Edward Pothier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:10 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Ah, Fermi. Where all the local physics kids work.

"Take it as a certain sign that your charity is not genuine if your words, no matter how true, are not charitable." --St Francis de Sales

"The thing is--to be ready to die: and is there one of us who would quite like to die, doing as little for God as we are doing now?" --Fr Faber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:58 pm 
Deceased

Puppi wrote:
Ah, Fermi. Where all the local physics kids work.
FERMILAB out in Batavia, IL, a good distance west of Chicago itself, is named after the Italian-born physicist Enrico Fermi.

Fermi also had a connection with the University of Chicago where in squash courts under the Stagg Field stands the first self-sustaining nuclear chain reaction was initiated. If Fermi's calculations were far off, or there was not enough controlling material to suppress the reaction, the situation in Chicago would not have been nice (and maybe still wouldn't be!).

As an undergraduate Physics major, if someone made a serious error in calculation (orders of magnitude), a standard response was "Oops, there goes Chicago …".

http://www.osti.gov/accomplishments/fermi.html
Quote:
Fermi moved to the University of Chicago to be in charge of the first major step in making feasible the building of the atomic bomb. In the squash courts under the west stand of the University's Stagg Field, Fermi supervised the design and assembly of an "atomic pile", a code word for an assembly that in peacetime would be known as a "nuclear reactor". Today, a plaque at the site reads: "On December 2, 1942, man achieved here the first self-sustaining chain reaction and thereby initiated the controlled release of nuclear energy."

Edward Pothier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:18 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

The school being what it is, the original site of the reaction--the football stadium--has long since been replaced with a library, an atrocious seven-level behometh holding 4.4 million volumes (and currently being expanded).

"Take it as a certain sign that your charity is not genuine if your words, no matter how true, are not charitable." --St Francis de Sales

"The thing is--to be ready to die: and is there one of us who would quite like to die, doing as little for God as we are doing now?" --Fr Faber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:20 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
kage_ar wrote:

Doesn't surprise me, coming up with those ridiculous puns all the time requires some degree of intelligence....one cannot possibly be witty and stupid at the same time....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:56 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: I got me some.
I like beer.

"Man is placed above all creatures, and not beneath them, and he cannot be satisfied or content except in something greater than himself. Greater than himself there is nothing but Myself, the Eternal God. Therefore I alone can satisfy him."

The Dialogue of the Seraphic Virgin Catherine of Siena

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:24 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: RCIA(ish)
I like beer.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:08 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Most of the time, I hate most U. S. "beer" some microbrews are good and I can drink anything. I occasionally do socially, which makes it palatable. When I was six I could drink a little over two and a half Fosters (big cans) w/out a buzz.

I hate Absolut and Skye. I like vodka. I also like mixed drinks, my favorites are: bloody marys, bloody bulls, long island iced tea and salty dog/greyhounds. Too poor to drink them much, but I like them.

I like my hard liquor smooth, my wine red and dry and my beer dark and bitter.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 8 of 9   [ 170 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next