Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 7 of 9   [ 170 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Facts About You - Game
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:57 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
that's why i didn't know...i was only watching them rassle in odessa...in the ector county coliseum ... i even went in person once...made that long journey of 20 miles from midland

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:08 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
Doom wrote:
kage_ar wrote:
That is sad. To be knocked down to playing proms. Sad.

Sad? To be able to make your living doing the one thing you love doing more than anything else in the world? I don't think so. Blessed is more like it. What a blessed thing it is to have a job you love, to find your place in the world and make your home there.

To the musicians I know, proms - weddings - bar mitzvahs are the trifecta of worst gigs. If I saw Wolfgang Puck flipping burgers at the Dairy Queen, I would find that sad. If I saw Rembrant chalking prices on the windows at a used car lot, I would find that sad.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:43 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

How about Bulldog Bob Brown?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:57 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

nope not him ether :)

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:02 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I'm related to Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain). :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:10 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

speaking of relations....my dad traced our genealogy back to the 11th century on his mother's side of the family...only back to the 13th century on his dad's side ... we landed in virginia in 1707, hung out for a while, then traveled down to north carolina and stayed a spell before finally landing in mississippi in the late 1790s

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:01 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

faithfulservant wrote:
speaking of relations....my dad traced our genealogy back to the 11th century on his mother's side of the family...only back to the 13th century on his dad's side ... we landed in virginia in 1707, hung out for a while, then traveled down to north carolina and stayed a spell before finally landing in mississippi in the late 1790s

A client of my dad's did some genealogy research on our family. He said it was a hobby. :) I remember that the earliest Americans on my mom's side have funny names, like "Endurance." :) Maybe they were Puritans or something, I don't know. I remember that there was one woman who was taken hostage by American Indians in a battle, and they took her up to Canada, where she stayed for ten years until her husband managed to find her and bring her back. There's a relation to George Washington, too, one of his brothers or uncles or something is a direct ancestor I think. I don't remember much about my dad's side except that there's a relation to a former New York bishop in there somewhere, which I think is funny. :D eta: John Hughes is the name of the bishop. Even if the current generations of Catholics in my family have fallen away, I like thinking that there were good Catholics in my family at some point. :cloud9:

"Take it as a certain sign that your charity is not genuine if your words, no matter how true, are not charitable." --St Francis de Sales

"The thing is--to be ready to die: and is there one of us who would quite like to die, doing as little for God as we are doing now?" --Fr Faber

Last edited by Dominicatella on Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:06 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
kage_ar wrote:
Doom wrote:
kage_ar wrote:
That is sad. To be knocked down to playing proms. Sad.

Sad? To be able to make your living doing the one thing you love doing more than anything else in the world? I don't think so. Blessed is more like it. What a blessed thing it is to have a job you love, to find your place in the world and make your home there.

To the musicians I know, proms - weddings - bar mitzvahs are the trifecta of worst gigs. If I saw Wolfgang Puck flipping burgers at the Dairy Queen, I would find that sad. If I saw Rembrant chalking prices on the windows at a used car lot, I would find that sad.

Neither of those is even comparable.....in the examples you provided you have some who loves doing a particular thing being permanently deprived of ever being able to do that thing....

In the case of musician playing bar mitzvah's, weddings, on cruise ships and so forth you have someone who is doing the very thing he loves most and getting PAID for doing it, that's fantastic. How many people actually make a living singing? Very few, even of the people who are good at it, very few of them can actually make a living doing it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:10 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Puppi wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:

A client of my dad's did some genealogy research on our family. He said it was a hobby. :) I remember that the earliest Americans on my mom's side have funny names, like "Endurance." :) Maybe they were Puritans or something, I don't know. I remember that there was one woman who was taken hostage by American Indians in a battle, and they took her up to Canada, where she stayed for ten years until her husband managed to find her and bring her back. There's a relation to George Washington, too, one of his brothers or uncles or something is a direct ancestor I think. I don't remember much about my dad's side except that there's a relation to a former New York bishop in there somewhere, which I think is funny. :D eta: John Hughes is the name of the bishop. Even if the current generations of Catholics in my family have fallen away, I like thinking that there were good Catholics in my family at some point. :cloud9:

i don't remember him saying anything specific about any family member... but my GGG grandmother apparently was the first to be buried in the cemetery on the grounds of the country baptist church of my dad's youth ... she died in 1820

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:41 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

:siggy I'm related to Eric the Red, so I know, first you pillage, then you burn.

ἄξιος εἶ, ὁ κύριος καὶ ὁ θεὸς ἡμῶν, λαβεῖν τὴν δόξαν καὶ τὴν τιμὴν καὶ τὴν δύναμιν, ὅτι σὺ ἔκτισας τὰ πάντα, καὶ διὰ τὸ θέλημά σου ἦσαν καὶ ἐκτίσθησαν. Ἀποκάλυψις 4:11

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:04 pm 

Religion: Roman Catholic
My great grandpa was a cannibal!Haha.

One side is the soaring eagle. Everything the eagle stand for is good and true and beautiful, and it soars above the clouds. Even though it dips down into the valleys, it lays its eggs on the mountaintops.
The other side of me is the howling wolf. And that raging, howling wolf represents the worst that's in me. He eats upon my downfalls and justifies himself by his presence in the pack.
Who wins this great battle?
The one I feed."
-unknown

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:35 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Michael V wrote:

:shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:40 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Michael V wrote:
You are what you eat.

ἄξιος εἶ, ὁ κύριος καὶ ὁ θεὸς ἡμῶν, λαβεῖν τὴν δόξαν καὶ τὴν τιμὴν καὶ τὴν δύναμιν, ὅτι σὺ ἔκτισας τὰ πάντα, καὶ διὰ τὸ θέλημά σου ἦσαν καὶ ἐκτίσθησαν. Ἀποκάλυψις 4:11

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:19 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Re: geneology. My mother's family is the Stafford family originally from England, who were part of the royal households of England for hundreds of years.

http://grandmajennysattic.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:01 am 
Deceased

Sirius wrote:
Michael V wrote:
You are what you eat.
The old question: If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?

Edward Pothier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:29 pm 

Religion: Roman Catholic
Haha. Thats funny! But my great grandpa was an indian. My parents could tell you what tribe he was from, but I don't know. I just know that he ate people.Haha

One side is the soaring eagle. Everything the eagle stand for is good and true and beautiful, and it soars above the clouds. Even though it dips down into the valleys, it lays its eggs on the mountaintops.
The other side of me is the howling wolf. And that raging, howling wolf represents the worst that's in me. He eats upon my downfalls and justifies himself by his presence in the pack.
Who wins this great battle?
The one I feed."
-unknown

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:34 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Edward Pothier wrote:
Sirius wrote:
Michael V wrote:
You are what you eat.
The old question: If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?

Edward Pothier

Hummus? :scratch:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:24 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

GKC wrote:
kage_ar wrote:
Root of Jesse wrote:
I was a castmember in Up With People in 1975. We did the half-time show for SuperBowl X and a cameo in Black Sunday.

I am now singing "Up, up with people, you meet em wherever you go" and doing the hand motions :)

They're the best kind of folks we know.

GKC

If more people were for people, all people everywhere, there'd be a lot less people to worry about, and a lot more people who care.

As I think about my time in this group, I realize the short shrift the group actually gives to God...there was only one song about "What color is God's skin", but it was very touchy-feely...typical of the era.

http://rootofjesse2.wordpress.com/

Sancte Michael Archangele,
defende nos in proelio;
contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Imperet illi Deus, supplices deprecamur:
tuque, Princeps militiae Caelestis,
satanam aliosque spiritus malignos,
qui ad perditionem animarum pervagantur in mundo,
divina virtute in infernum detrude.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:39 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Root of Jesse wrote:
GKC wrote:
kage_ar wrote:
Root of Jesse wrote:
I was a castmember in Up With People in 1975. We did the half-time show for SuperBowl X and a cameo in Black Sunday.

I am now singing "Up, up with people, you meet em wherever you go" and doing the hand motions :)

They're the best kind of folks we know.

GKC

If more people were for people, all people everywhere, there'd be a lot less people to worry about, and a lot more people who care.

As I think about my time in this group, I realize the short shrift the group actually gives to God...there was only one song about "What color is God's skin", but it was very touchy-feely...typical of the era.

Even more troublesome is the horrific grammatical error in that portion you quoted! :fyi:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:54 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: catholic
Fact #1: I'm related to Napoleon (my family traced our granfathers side....it explains alot actually :)).

Fact #2: I'm always a mess.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 7 of 9   [ 170 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next