Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 3   [ 59 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Texans!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:45 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
looks like austin is pretty much the same distance from galveston and the CC side of padre island. I've been to the later, which beach gets your vote?

ps. i like bonfires, camping, swimming, and driving on the beach!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:39 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

MamaE wrote:
looks like austin is pretty much the same distance from galveston and the CC side of padre island. I've been to the later, which beach gets your vote?

Beaches in the CC area.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:01 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree Knight
1HCaAC wrote:
Learner wrote:
kage_ar wrote:
I also think Austin has the best airport in the nation.

Makes it easier to get out of Austin!

It was an Air Force Base before being BRACed and the city taking it over.

Even the military wants to get out of Austin!

What you see depends on what you thought before you looked. Eugene Taurman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:44 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
MamaE wrote:

mamae...no comparison between galveston and cc beaches...go to corpus christi :wave

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:03 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

faithfulservant wrote:
MamaE wrote:

mamae...no comparison between galveston and cc beaches...go to corpus christi :wave

awesome. i am liking the idea of Austin more and more... and just when I start really fall in love with the idea...

DH goes and applies for a job n Portland. OREGON! :roll: I like many things about that idea (even being closer to me3rd, who is my "comadre"). however, I've been doing a lot of daydreaming about camping on the beach and warm ocean water. :cloud9: Our waters here are cold still and you can not camp on public beaches.

I remember really enjoying CC beaches. :cloud9:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:39 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
so is austin "out" ... or is he just putting a few irons in the fire ?

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:34 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

faithfulservant wrote:
so is austin "out" ... or is he just putting a few irons in the fire ?

Exactly. It depends on 2 things: if he can get the asking pay he wants and if his current employer will allow him to work remotely.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:18 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Oregon has a state income tax. :nooo:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:22 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Catholic, praise God
1HCaAC wrote:

Oh, yeah. When we moved from Calif to Texas, people told us how much less the cost of living was here because there is no state income tax. Where the government gets you is in real estate taxes. We pay more on our 3x-bigger house here than we did in California.
:fyi: :crying:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:03 pm 
Potty Hollerer
Potty Hollerer

1HCaAC wrote:
MamaE wrote:

Beaches in the CC area.

yup. rockport, port aransas, mustang island :thumbsup:

http://ninetexans.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:09 pm 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
mea wrote:
1HCaAC wrote:

Oh, yeah. When we moved from Calif to Texas, people told us how much less the cost of living was here because there is no state income tax. Where the government gets you is in real estate taxes. We pay more on our 3x-bigger house here than we did in California.

You get to own your house AND rent it from the government! :clap:

- Justice Scalia, dissent, King v. Burwell.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:41 pm 
Master
Master

Bombadil wrote:
mea wrote:
1HCaAC wrote:

You get to own your house AND rent it from the government! :clap:

That's about the size of it. ::):

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:28 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

mea wrote:
1HCaAC wrote:

The property/school district taxes in the Austin area average 2.5%.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:52 am 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
1HCaAC wrote:
mea wrote:
1HCaAC wrote:

Taxes are 25% of my mortgage payment. :fyi:

- Justice Scalia, dissent, King v. Burwell.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:00 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Bombadil wrote:
1HCaAC wrote:
mea wrote:
1HCaAC wrote:

Taxes are 25% of my mortgage payment. :fyi:

You must not be in Austin.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:14 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Roman Catholic
Austin is the new home of the United States Formula One Grand Prix in 2012. So move there and get your tickets!

from SPEEDTV.com-

Bernie Ecclestone has used his website to announce that a US GP will be held in Austin, Texas from 2012 to 2021. It will be the first F1 event held in the state since the one-off race at Dallas in 1984.

The news comes just days after the Monticello facility in New York State told the media that it was pitching for a race.

The Austin event will be promoted by Full Throttle Productions, a company with an involvement in NASCAR. A new facility will be built for the race in what is the USA’s 15th-largest city.

The company’s managing partner, Tavo Hellmund, said in the statement: “We are extremely honored and proud to reach an agreement with the F1 Commercial Rights holder. We have been diligently working together for several years to bring this great event to Austin, the State of Texas, and back to the United States. All parties involved have a great amount of trust and confidence in each other and are committed to establishing the F1 United States Grand Prix in Austin, Texas as a prestigious global event.

“This is a case of the right timing in the right place. As many Americans know, Austin has earned a reputation as one of the ‘it’ cities in the United States. Austin features that rare combination of ideal geographic location and beauty. Its fine dining, world-renowned hospitality and excellent transportation infrastructure make Austin ideally suited to host and manage an event of this magnitude.

“Few cities if any on America could rival the connectivity of all the key elements needed for hosting an F1 event as well as Austin. Now, many people around the world will have the opportunity to experience a world-class event, facility and city.”

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:57 pm 
Master
Master

1HCaAC wrote:
mea wrote:
1HCaAC wrote:

I pay much more than that in Round Rock. :fyi:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:21 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: I got me some.
If you live near UT there are two local choices. St. Austin's next to the campus with nice old fashion architecture. When I was going to UT 30 years ago it was the more orthodox of the choices and had a strong non student population. It is run by the Paulist, who are not so orhodox anymore. The other choice was called the Newman Center when I was in school but now is called the a couple of blocks away and on campus across from Littlefield Fountain and is also run by the Paulist. is heavily oriented toward students. It was called the Newman Center when I went to UT but is now called the University Catholic Center (UCC). St. Austin was organ, UCC was guitar. For me, the best thing about UCC was the large choice of mass times including the infamous 9pm on Sunday mass.

When I go to football games at UT I visit St. Austin's, Not much has changed over the years.

Round Rock is where all the new growth seems to have gone, it is like your typical Texas suburbia. Austin is a good job market but not as good as Dallas. My experience with Austin is that so many graduates want to stay in town that the salaries are lower than Dallas and Austin has a higher cost of living. Austin is a quality place to live when it comes to entertainment and liesure choices. UT provides a huge cultural benifit with it's music, arts, and museums and Austin is the center of the Texas country music scene. And the nature trails and natural beauty available within a couple hours drive is hard to beat.

If I did not have family in the Dallas area I would have settled in the Austin tech market.

"Man is placed above all creatures, and not beneath them, and he cannot be satisfied or content except in something greater than himself. Greater than himself there is nothing but Myself, the Eternal God. Therefore I alone can satisfy him."

The Dialogue of the Seraphic Virgin Catherine of Siena

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:49 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: I got me some.
Learner wrote:
Remember, those who flunk out of Texas A&M have their middle fingers cut off and are sent to the little school in Austin. If they flunk out of there, they are sent down the street to the capital :fyi:

How can they have only their middle fingers cut off when they have to cut off all their fingers, leaving just their thumbs to suck on to go to A&M?

"Man is placed above all creatures, and not beneath them, and he cannot be satisfied or content except in something greater than himself. Greater than himself there is nothing but Myself, the Eternal God. Therefore I alone can satisfy him."

The Dialogue of the Seraphic Virgin Catherine of Siena

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 3   [ 59 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3