Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 19 of 20   [ 394 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Who will win World Cup 2010
Spain 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
Brazil 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
England 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Argentina 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Holland 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Italy 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
France 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Germany 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Portugal 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Ivory Coast 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Paraguay 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Chile 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Serbia 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
USA 18%  18%  [ 6 ]
Mexico 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Ghana 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Cameroon 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Uruguay 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Nigeria 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
South Africa 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Australia 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Other 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 33
 Post subject: Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 countdown
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:11 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/world-cup-final-fever-grips-netherlands-spain--fbintl_ap-wcup-finalfrenzy.html

THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP)—In Paul Vlaar’s rural church, the candles, the piano, even the pastor’s robes were orange for a day.

Vlaar kicked off his sermon to about 300 orange-clad worshippers by praying for Dutch teamwork to lead to victory in the World Cup final against Spain in Johannesburg on Sunday. During the service, Vlaar kicked a football down the aisle and “You’ll never walk alone” was played on the orange piano.

Vlaar’s orange-colored corner of the Netherlands was one small snapshot from a nation gripped by a football frenzy triggered by the country’s first final appearance since losing back-to-back finals in 1974 and ’78 to hosts West Germany and Argentina.

Vlaar said the football-themed mass was not out of place in his small Roman Catholic church north of Amsterdam.

“All the things come together,” he said. “There was sport, there was faith, there was love. It was top!”

I don't know what to say....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:29 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

beng wrote:
seanie wrote:
beng I recall in years past you were a big Dutch supporter. Are you shouting for them on Sunday?

Yes. Many Indonesian are big Dutch supporters (despite having them occupied the country for 350 years). And the paper said that some Dutch players have Indonesian lineage in their blood. Don't know who, I'm going to google it up.

According to today's paper, Dutch captain Giovani van Bronckhorst apparently has a Maluku native mother by the name Fransina Sapulette. Last June the father, Bert van Bronckhorst, and the mother visited Saparua and Ambon on Maluku. Giovani was supposed to visit with his parents but due to some circumstances he stayed behind (probably preparing for an important UEFA match between Feyenoord [Dutch] and Real Mallorca [Spain], Giovani played for the former).

Other Dutch players on World Cup 2010 with some Maluku lineage are: John Heitinga, Gregory van der Wiel, Nigel de Jong (ONE OF THE TWO DUTCH PLAYERS THAT MADE SIGN OF THE CROSS) and Demy de Zeeuw.

The paper states that Robin van Persie has Javanese lineage. If I remember correctly he is a muslim. I hope I'm wrong.

Everytime the Ducth win the streets of Ambon (the biggest city in Maluku) suddenly turn Orange. People waving Prinsevlag (Dutch flag) and KNVB banner (Dutch football association). It gives the cop extra work.

Last edited by beng on Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:35 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Btw, today's reading is about the Samaritan. After the gospel reading our priest homily started with the question: "Now, who is our neighbor? The Spaniard or the Dutch?" :mrgreen:

As I've informed before the parish is hosting World Cup 2010, everyone's invited. They set up projector and giant white screen. Although no snacks are provided by the parish, some individual parishioners have the initiative and bought snacks for the audience.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:23 pm 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

Religion: Catholic
Good game at half time. It looks to me as if the Netherlands has been pretty successful at taking Spain out of their typical style of play. It will be interesting to see what adjustments might be made during half-time. Remarkable number of yellows coming out too - though that boot to the chest sure looked like it could have justified a red. I wonder if we'll see either or maybe both teams a man down at some point.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:59 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
can someone explain to a novice why iniesta was not given his 2nd yellow card when he gave that unprovoked hip to the dutch player in regulation?

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:00 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: yes no and maybe
faithfulservant,
the cognescenti say that the Dutch committed so many fouls in the first 45 minutes they should have been down to 8 men. The ref was very lenient. When it went the other way the Dutch appeared (on tv) to behave like spoiled brats.

The best team won by miles.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:17 pm 
Adept
Adept

The Dutch performance was scandalous, a hatchet job for 120 minutes. But the ref is not without blame. When he didn't send de Jong off for his kung fu challenge on Xabi Alonso he essentially gave Holland free rein to kick Spain around the pitch. The Spanish did deserve to win, no question about that.

Germany's Thomas Müller, aged 20, has won the best young player award, and also the Golden Boot for scoring 5 goals (and 3 assists).

Uruguay's Diego Forlan won the Golden Ball award for best player of the tournament.

And incidentaly, New Zealanders can hold their heads high tonight as they are the only team out of the 32 to return home undefeated.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:19 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

i obviously don't understand the rules of the game ...that is a given...but when a ref can make arbitrary decisions as to what "foul" deserves a yellow or red card...it just makes no sense to me...half the ones that were called looked spurious at best ...according to the slo mo...but then again...maybe i just have no idea what constitutes a foul in this game...sure looked to me like the spanish were doing an awful lot of "acting" after the alleged fouls

anyone that writhes in pain one minute and then jumps up with no apparent adverse effect the next...what am i suppose to think?

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:28 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: I got me some.
Well I sat down to watch the game and after I woke up from my nap I saw that Spain had failed to kick the ball out of bounds accidentally on purpose once while the Dutch could not manage such a feat. Congrats to Spain for ending this exciting spectacle for another 4 years.

"Man is placed above all creatures, and not beneath them, and he cannot be satisfied or content except in something greater than himself. Greater than himself there is nothing but Myself, the Eternal God. Therefore I alone can satisfy him."

The Dialogue of the Seraphic Virgin Catherine of Siena

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:10 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Belated thoughts:

Germany's Aogo: :flag The wrong team won, with a fair call this would have gone the right way. The right team won the Golden Ball - individually, other names merit mention (Puyol, Kuyt, etc.).

Netherlands De Jong: :flag The right team won. Apparently the Dutch are overrated and needed to resort to such tactics to compete. I was sincerely rooting for the Dutch (dW), but Van Persie and crew made it very, very hard. One of few games with 14 yellows that needed more....

BTW - faithfulservant, such writhing and miraculous recovery is a sign of incompetent ability or officiating, current or past. If you can't compete, you try to even the odds by falsely accusing your opponent (this tends to perpetuate "reverse flopping" as revenge for being falsely accused). When it's due to officiating, it's the thought that officials need charades to understand a foul (a natural assumption when the refs contract clearly doesn't cover vision), or the hope that the official is stupid enough to call a foul they didn't see based on pantomime (rather than actual evidence, like cleat marks on the shin or pectorals). FWIW - if Alonso were given to diving, De Jong would have gotten a red card.

ἄξιος εἶ, ὁ κύριος καὶ ὁ θεὸς ἡμῶν, λαβεῖν τὴν δόξαν καὶ τὴν τιμὴν καὶ τὴν δύναμιν, ὅτι σὺ ἔκτισας τὰ πάντα, καὶ διὰ τὸ θέλημά σου ἦσαν καὶ ἐκτίσθησαν. Ἀποκάλυψις 4:11

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:55 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

PEOPLE ARE WRONG!!

God PAUL THE OCTOPUS DOES NOT PREDICT WINS-LOSES, HE MAKES WINS-LOSES!!!!

THE TEAM WHICH God PAUL THE OCTOPUS DEEMS WORTHY FOR GLORY SHALL WIN AND THE TEAM HE DEEMS UNWORTHY LOSES!!!! (So why does this team win but that team lose? According to Octologian, Thomas Aquarium, "the reason [why some team wins and other lose] must be sought nowhere but in the will of the tentacle one" [ie. Summa Octologia, Book I, article 23, question 5]).

ALL HAIL God PAUL THE OCTOPUS!!!!

ps
I'm going to tatoo both with this picture:

Last edited by beng on Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:57 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

seanie wrote:
The Dutch performance was scandalous, a hatchet job for 120 minutes. But the ref is not without blame. When he didn't send de Jong off for his kung fu challenge on Xabi Alonso he essentially gave Holland free rein to kick Spain around the pitch. The Spanish did deserve to win, no question about that.

Spain really deserved the win. The final is the best Spain performance during World Cup 2010. Back, mid and front.... all solid. Because of the tendency of Spanish defenders to attack the midfielders need to guard. They did it superbly on final. Attack was orchestrated well. IMO this is the second best match in World Cup 2010 next to Brazil Vs Holland.... heck maybe both matches are tie for World Cup 2010 best match.

The Dutch tried to mark Xavi and Villa. But Ineasta is the man of the match. He sought holes in Dutch defend and penetrated them the entire game. His movement is un-containable. But if the Dutch watch for Ineasta, Xavi would have a free reign and IMO Xavi is more dangerous than Ineasta because his passes leads to 1001 possibilities. Having Xavi and Ineasta on midfield is... heaven (both are Barcelona players, and Barcelona still has Messi. During Champion League in which Barcelona was defeated by Inter Milan, Ineasta didn't play because of injury).

As for the Dutch, IMO their performance was not bad. It's within theer usual high level and even a notch better IMO. It's just that the Spaniard were way better. They're not without their sheer ingenious moves. Defence was darn solid. Veteran defenders Broockhorst, van Bommell and Heitinga defended well. During most of the game Sneijder and van Persie were contained by the Spanish side but thanks to inspiratives defenders turned midfielders and midfilders turned frontliners the Dutch had many dangerous attacking chances. Robben had about three or more golden chances.

The referee (Howard Webb, England) was too strict. Too many cards. The Dutch got like 9 yellow cards. Contrary to Seanie, I don't think the Ducth deserves that many card. IMO Heitinga shouldn't have been given the first yellow card (so is van Persie). When Robben was on a fast break and he was guarded by Puyol, Puyol's hand was obstructing Robben's pace and that should've been a foul that would lead to a free kick just centimeters from the penalty box. The reff didn't blow the whistle. Probably because of Puyol twisting 180 degree when he tried to obstruct Robben. But still it was an obstruction and deserved a foul. Robben was furious and protested wildly. He got a yellow card.

Heartbeat almost go flat-line twice, once for both side. Robben was having his first fast break in the game. It was between him and Casillas (Spanish goalkeeper). It was a 90% scoring chance. Robben shoot, Casillas fell to the right (he knows Robben is left footed), the ball went to his left... and..... Casillas' left foot (might've been his toe) touched the ball bouncing it away saying "I'm that 10% you biatch!"

A few minutes letter Spain had the exact same chance. I forgot whether it was Villa or Pedro, but either had a fast break and it was between him and Dutch goalkeeper, Maarten Stekelenburg. I got the feeling Stekelenburg watched the big screen and saw how Casilas did it. He did the exact same thing. He fell incorrectly but his foot on the opposite end deviated the ball, by the toe!

Even the usually boring added time is not boring this time.

Great game!

But stilll, THIS IS THE WORST WORLD CUP EVER. ARGENTINA SHOULD'VE WIN!!! ALL MY PREDICTIONS SINCE BEST 16 WERE WRONG!!!

Last edited by beng on Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:08 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

beng wrote:
    http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/world-cup-final-fever-grips-netherlands-spain--fbintl_ap-wcup-finalfrenzy.html

THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP)—In Paul Vlaar’s rural church, the candles, the piano, even the pastor’s robes were orange for a day.

Vlaar kicked off his sermon to about 300 orange-clad worshippers by praying for Dutch teamwork to lead to victory in the World Cup final against Spain in Johannesburg on Sunday. During the service, Vlaar kicked a football down the aisle and “You’ll never walk alone” was played on the orange piano.

Vlaar’s orange-colored corner of the Netherlands was one small snapshot from a nation gripped by a football frenzy triggered by the country’s first final appearance since losing back-to-back finals in 1974 and ’78 to hosts West Germany and Argentina.

Vlaar said the football-themed mass was not out of place in his small Roman Catholic church north of Amsterdam.

“All the things come together,” he said. “There was sport, there was faith, there was love. It was top!”

I don't know what to say....

More pictures and story here.

Maybe this has something to do with Ducth lost.

And as I've predicted, Dutch lost caused riot. In Ambon eleven store booths were sacked by frustrated Dutch supporters. Police said that at first a group of Spain supporters provoked them and then both groups threw stones at each other. The store booth were innocent casualties. A motorcycle inside one of the booth was damaged.

Oh, and Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, hosted the final game in his private house. Upper Echelons state officials were present and also Indonesian national team (audience in the hundreds). Although wishing the best team to win, the President stated that he leaned toward Dutch because, "there were Indonesians in the team" (or something to that effect, can remember). The TV also showed a newly elected Din Syamsuddin, the head of Mohammadiyah, the second largest Islam organization. He made a pre-match analysis. I forgot who he root for. After the game, the TV showed several high ranking officials making final comments on the match.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:19 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Spaniard's joy (videos).

Dutch's sorrow (videos)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:32 pm 
Adept
Adept

beng wrote:

But stilll, THIS IS THE WORST WORLD CUP EVER. ARGENTINA SHOULD'VE WIN!!! ALL MY PREDICTIONS SINCE BEST 16 WERE WRONG!!!

You should have listened to that parrot or whatever it is.

I hear Paul the psychic octopus has retired.

(And in case anyone is foolish enough to believe he really was psychic, Paul always chose a flag with red. In choosing between Germany and Spain, he chose Spain because Spain has more red (two red bars) than Germany.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:30 pm 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

So the secret to winning the US Cup is as simple as getting a new flag?!:

Attachment:
usflag.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:34 pm 
Adept
Adept

Give Obama a few more years of godless government and you'll just need to put a few yellow stars in the corner...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:38 pm 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

Ouch.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:51 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

seanie wrote:
Give Obama a few more years of godless government and you'll just need to put a few yellow stars in the corner...

don't forget the crescent :fyi:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:55 pm 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

Double ouch.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 19 of 20   [ 394 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next