Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 18 of 20   [ 394 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Who will win World Cup 2010
Spain 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
Brazil 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
England 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Argentina 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Holland 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Italy 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
France 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Germany 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Portugal 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Ivory Coast 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Paraguay 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Chile 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Serbia 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
USA 18%  18%  [ 6 ]
Mexico 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Ghana 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Cameroon 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Uruguay 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Nigeria 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
South Africa 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Australia 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Other 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 33
 Post subject: Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 countdown
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:05 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
anawim wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:
anawim wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:
can anyone give me a reason to root for one team over the other .... i always root for the underdog unless i have a reason not to ... so unless someone can convince me spain is the way to go i'll root for the dutch... when is the championship game going to be played again? :scratch:

Uruguay vs. Germany is 10/10
and
Netherlands vs. Spain is 10/11.

I guess you would have to consult local listings for times.

isn't that a loooooooooooooooong layoff before the final games are played :P :wink: 8-)

Ooops, sorry...meant 7/10 & 7/11 :oops:

hehe..i know...was just giving you a hard time :fyi:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:07 am 

faithfulservant wrote:
anawim wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:
anawim wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:
can anyone give me a reason to root for one team over the other .... i always root for the underdog unless i have a reason not to ... so unless someone can convince me spain is the way to go i'll root for the dutch... when is the championship game going to be played again? :scratch:

Uruguay vs. Germany is 10/10
and
Netherlands vs. Spain is 10/11.

I guess you would have to consult local listings for times.

isn't that a loooooooooooooooong layoff before the final games are played :P :wink: 8-)

Ooops, sorry...meant 7/10 & 7/11 :oops:

hehe..i know...was just giving you a hard time :fyi:

Since most countries (other than the US) use DD/MM, rather than MM/DD, I've been getting them mixed up at times.

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:28 am 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

beng wrote:
As for Spain.... that whippersnapper Pedro!!! The boy should've passed the ball to Torress and Spain would've got a second!

Exactly what ds said first thing this morning (this boy lives, eats, sleeps and breathes sports and especially right now soccer!)

My ds is rooting for Netherlands but thinks that Spain will probably win and is "ok with that." :-) He's just happy he has two favorites to watch. :cloud9:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:29 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

so who will you be condemning with your support? :mrgreen: :wave

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:36 am 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

It is an interesting question isn't it? Do I support the team I want to will win, knowing it will doom them, or do I try reverse psychology and root for the one I really want to lose? :) I think I'm sticking to mainly just rooting for a good game. May the best team win ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:44 pm 
Adept
Adept

beng wrote:
After Yesterday seanie is nowehre to be seen :).

His head probably still aching for all the drink he had yesterday :mrgreen:.

I feel sorry for Merkel. Never see such an enthusiast leader.

beng I recall in years past you were a big Dutch supporter. Are you shouting for them on Sunday?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:44 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

seanie wrote:
beng wrote:
After Yesterday seanie is nowehre to be seen :).

His head probably still aching for all the drink he had yesterday :mrgreen:.

I feel sorry for Merkel. Never see such an enthusiast leader.

beng I recall in years past you were a big Dutch supporter. Are you shouting for them on Sunday?

Yes. Many Indonesian are big Dutch supporters (despite having them occupied the country for 350 years). And the paper said that some Dutch players have Indonesian lineage in their blood. Don't know who, I'm going to google it up.

My parish had a very memorable Dutch priest. I hope the Netherland wins. One parishioner had a ritual of eating bread and drinking coffee every time the Dutch play because our deceased Dutch priest used to do that every morning.

Plus, spain still has female official. Bad luck. They'll never wins the World Cup like that.

Paul the Octopus will prove me right! I'm a believer!! Unlike these heathens unbelievers from last game (Germany-Spain)!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:47 pm 
Adept
Adept

Paul the oracle octopus predicts glory for Spain, but Mani the psychic parakeet predicts a Dutch win

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:49 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

so how is mani's track record in predictions? ::):

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:40 pm 
Adept
Adept

His owner "claims" Mani has called the winnner of all 4 quarter finals !!! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:32 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

seanie wrote:

Many is a false prophet!!!

He probably works for Mourinho.

Actually, all my predictions since the best 16 have been wrong. Before God Paul The Octopus make his prediction, I wanted Uruguay and Dutch to win. Then [s]God[/i] Paul The Octopus picks the opposite. So most likely that it is Germany and Spain.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:37 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

seanie wrote:
His owner "claims" Mani has called the winnner of all 4 quarter finals !!! :D

Revelation 19:20
    20 And the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who in its presence had worked the signs by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped its image. ...

Seanie, don't be deceived!! its so called "master" is not really master at all. It's the bird who are the master (and the bird's master is the beast).

Or did you just get a new mark of the best, seanie? Is that why you're deceive?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:26 pm 
Adept
Adept

3rd place playoff:

Germany 3 Uruguay 2. Forlan hits the crossbar for Uruguay with the last kick of the game. A pity there had to be a losing side after this engaging battle.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:33 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

so who is going to win seanie...i saw a blurb today that spain is a 54.3% favorite... that's almost a toss up for oddsmakers

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:46 pm 
Eminent
Eminent

Religion: Католик
Yesterday, I came out of France to Amsterdam for a very brief stop before flying on to Atlanta, GA. I am now back to the States and may go for Holland tomorrow!

Abortion and infanticide are abominable crimes. (Gaudium et Spes, 51)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:12 pm 
Adept
Adept

faithfulservant wrote:
so who is going to win seanie...i saw a blurb today that spain is a 54.3% favorite... that's almost a toss up for oddsmakers

Well, not really. Those odds are surely for a Spain win after 90 minutes.

For the result after 90 minutes, the odds I saw had Spain at 11/10 or 47% win chance , Holland at 11/4 or 26.6 % win chance, and a draw (tie) at 9/4 or 30% likelihood.

For outright winner Holland are 6/4 or 40%, and Spain are 8/15 or about 65%.

They are saying this Dutch team is not as good as the Dutch team of old, so why should they expect to win. The Dutch paid close attention to the failed German tactic of depending on counter-attacks against Spain and will try something more proactive. I expect a rough midfield encounter though. Holland have to break up the Xavi-Iniesta-Xabi Alonso triumvirate if they are to create scoring chances. It's hard to see Spain not win but if Holland score early, anything is possible.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:38 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

the same time i saw that spain was 53.4 % chance, they said that germany was a 60.3% chance winner... have no idea the source, but it was reported on espn (iirc)

if spain were listed at 53.4%, then holland would necessarily be listed at46.6% wouldn''t they...or is that not the way it works in soccer odds :scratch:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:45 am 
Adept
Adept

faithfulservant wrote:
the same time i saw that spain was 53.4 % chance, they said that germany was a 60.3% chance winner... have no idea the source, but it was reported on espn (iirc)

if spain were listed at 53.4%, then holland would necessarily be listed at 46.6% wouldn''t they...or is that not the way it works in soccer odds :scratch:

No, because then the bookmakers would have no margin. You could bet a proportionate stake on each team and break even. The bookies have to factor in a profit for themselves. So in the the figures I gave, 40% chance for Holland to lift the trophy , 65% for Spain to lift it, the book is "over-round" at 105%. IOW if you bet proportionately you are sure to lose money.

As an aside, there was once a notorious Irish gangster (now deceased) who found an ingeniuos way to bring his dirty money from europe to Ireland without being caught by customs. He would take 300k in cash into a bookies in Amsterdam and bet proportionate sums on all the horses in a race, the resut being he would get back ,say, 280k euros. Then he would say to the bookies "write me a check".

The Irish authorities could do nothing about it cos he could prove he won the money legit at the races. I can't remember how he got caught in the end.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:28 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

seanie wrote:

They are saying this Dutch team is not as good as the Dutch team of old, so why should they expect to win. The Dutch paid close attention to the failed German tactic of depending on counter-attacks against Spain and will try something more proactive. I expect a rough midfield encounter though. Holland have to break up the Xavi-Iniesta-Xabi Alonso triumvirate if they are to create scoring chances. It's hard to see Spain not win but if Holland score early, anything is possible.

Spain plays like Barcelona (about half the Spanish starter are Barcelona squad). They make short passes and keep possession (a play attributable to Johan Cruyff, who is ironically one of the greatest Dutch player of all time. He coach Barcelona [he played for Barca too]).

If the Dutch seriously wanted to win they should consult the antichrist Mourinho because his Inter Milan successfully contained this style of play. The antichrist used an ultra-defensive play, having only 35% possession against Barcelona and won! Wesley Sneijder of the Dutch team was member of Inter Milan when they defeated Barcelona.

Seriously, if Dutch plays aggressively like the way the played Brazil, they probably would loose.

Last edited by beng on Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:31 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

seanie wrote:

As an aside, there was once a notorious Irish gangster (now deceased) who found an ingeniuos way to bring his dirty money from europe to Ireland without being caught by customs. He would take 300k in cash into a bookies in Amsterdam and bet proportionate sums on all the horses in a race, the resut being he would get back ,say, 280k euros. Then he would say to the bookies "write me a check".

The Irish authorities could do nothing about it cos he could prove he won the money legit at the races. I can't remember how he got caught in the end.

That is ingenious! I wonder whether 20k euro is a small price to pay for turning dirty money to legit money.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 18 of 20   [ 394 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next