Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Swedish Death Metal Band ends up converting to Catholicism
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:23 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Roman Catholic
My son-in-law just sent me this. It's an old article so someone may have posted it already but it's so good it's worth another post.

Quote:
Question:Here’s my theory regarding your conversion and sorry if it seems presumptuous! But you were studying Latin at University right? Obviously this would likely mean delving into old religious texts, aside from your natural inclinations which probably led you that way anyway. So as you were taking religion seriously (and not just using it to look cool like some metalhead), was it like a scholarly discovery, an absence of evidence for an “evil God” that made you realise the “wrongness” of what you were doing? Am I anywhere close to being right or…?
What actually did you used to believe before your conversion? I remember reading an interview of yours where you claimed to worship (in the religious sense) death and so on.

Answer:
Latin, right, from 2004 to 2007. Natural inclinations led to Latin, correct: aren’t all the occult writings of the past written in Latin? (And isn’t the past the source of the occult!? Haha!). End of irony.

By means of science, to finish that chapter, it is as hard to find any concluding scientific evidence for the existence or non-existence of any divinity, no matter good or evil. I never questioned the existence of the divine. You are, however, somewhat close to being right in the respect that it was an absence, not of “evidence” for an evil God, but rather absence of a rational and coherent theology as to how we may serve the divine and live in consistency with such a theology of an omnipotent God of death. I did not realise the “wrongness” in what I was doing til later on, at first I only realised the wrongness of others. Later on I saw myself in others, which increased about the time during which I began to devote more and more time to what can be described as an anachorete dwelling, introspective period, or in traditional Christian terminology: desert. I began fasting, spending long periods in solitude etc. (stupid! Do such things with caution, it can be quite harmful. Taking a black metal maniac into Christianity doesn’t make him a saint, it’ll only manifest his inherent inclinations towards obsessive excessions). This was about the time I began to pray more and more too, and there we go…

I realised my own incompleteness in the eyes of any divinity and this realisation of my own incompleteness and the meeting of God and of myself in relation to the God was the most horrifying and painful experience of all my life (this after accepting the incarnation as the most genious thing for God to do). The suffering I experienced in approaching God has ever since remained unequalled, both in terms of suffering, clarity and peace. I am, yes, despite all of this religious thinking, quite a rational fellow I believe, and I need reasons for motivating me to act and do this or that. I could finally not motivate my previous actions through the worldview which I finally desperately tried to uphold. In discussing my questions with other black metal heroes, I often met with ignorance and an approach that the matters I thought of wasn’t really important to them. Much to my disappointment with the whole scene.

Linguistics student/death metal band member moves from occultist beliefs to Catholicism via the study of Latin at university.

I think it's a translation from Swedish to English given the grammar etc. but still worth a read.

I had to smile.

Post subject: Re: Swedish Death Metal Band ends up converting to Catholici
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:17 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Actually there are a lot of heavy metal musicians who are Christians, including two of the four members of Black Sabbath, Dee Snider leader of Twisted Siister Nicko McBain of Iron maiden, Alice Copper, and Dave Mustaine Megadeth. And I've heard rumors about Blackie Lawless
Of WASP.

Contrary to stereotypes, heavy metal is not all sex, drugs and rock and roll, nor is it all devils and pentagrams either, a

Alot of bands write songs that are pretty smart and sophisticated.

Last edited by Doom on Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:43 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Doom wrote:
Actually there are a lot of heavy metal musicians who are Christians, including two of the four members of Black Sabbath, Dee Snider leader of Twisted Siister Nicko McBain of Iron maiden, Alice Copper, and Dave Mustaine Megadeth. And I've heard rumors about Blackie Lawless
Of WASP.

Contrary to stereotypes, heavy metal is not all sex, drugs and rock and roll, nor is it all devils and pentagrams either, a

Alot of bands right songs that are pretty smart and sophisticated.

Oh I know. I take great pleasure in surprising people with Metallica's Creeping Death. :D But this guy says outright he was totally into the occult, etc. and ended up converting after studying Latin as a linguist student and being exposed to so many Catholic texts.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:59 pm 
King of Cool

Creeping Death is more about Cecil B Demill's movie than about the book of Exodus.

The song to use to really freak people out is "After Forever" by Black Sabbath, a song which is totally a Christian song, the only one they ever did. There is also "Burn in Hell" by Twisted Siister.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:04 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Doom wrote:
Creeping Death is more about Cecil B Demill's movie than about the book of Exodus.

You really think so? I listened to that on the way to the Pesach Seder more than once and never once thought of that movie.

That it's presented from the perspective of the Angel of Death always throws people IME.

Quote:
The song to use to really freak people out is "After Forever" by Black Sabbath, a song which is totally a Christian song, the only one they ever did. There is also "Burn in Hell" by Twisted Siister.

Oh I totally forgot about the Twisted Sister song! I loved metal in my 20s and early 30s but branched out all over the place (Boccharini to Yes) and haven't listened to much of it in a while. I was in the Snakepit for Metallica's Black Album tour in 1992. That was an experience!

ETA: My favorite metal album is . . ..And Justice for All. So many great songs on that one. Taken out of Damaged Justice (1989) on a stretcher.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:36 am 
King of Cool

Yes, Creeping Death is about the movie, that was is why Moses is referred to as "the chosen one" and "the deliverer", neither of which are Biblical but are repeated ad infinitum in "The Ten Commandments", and it clear in the repeated refrain "so let it be, so let it be done", which again, is not Biblical but comes from that movie.

Also, the idea for the song came from watching the movie. During the scene of the slaying of the first born, Cliff Button said " whoa, it's creeping death", and they like that phrase so much they wrote a song around it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:47 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Doom wrote:
Yes, Creeping Death is about the movie, that was is why Moses is referred to as "the chosen one" and "the deliverer", neither of which are Biblical but are repeated ad infinitum in "The Ten Commandments", and it clear in the repeated refrain "so let it be, so let it be done", which again, is not Biblical but comes from that movie.

Also, the idea for the song came from watching the movie. During the scene of the slaying of the first born, Cliff Button said " whoa, it's creeping death", and they like that phrase so much they wrote a song around it.

:shock: Did not know that. I've never been a fangirl so to speak. I just listen to the music. Usually the background details ruin things for me.

PS--Burton was the best metal bassist ever IMO. Orion is FANTASTIC. His death was tragic.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:01 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I remember when I knew the USSR was toast. I saw this image somewhere (just did a C&P from YouTube):
Attachment:
Moscow91.jpg

So wish I'd have been there for that concert. I might've agreed to deal with the USSR for two decades just to have been at that concert! :wink:

If anyone wants to see what the end of the USSR looked like on the ground, these two videos are representative:

One Tame video (song was on the radio so not much to worry about)

Entire concert, not for the fainthearted or easily offended but shows the citizens and the KGB/police interacting (1:11:31)

Monsters of Rock Tushino Air Field Moscow, September 1991

ETA: go to 27:06 to see a brief interaction with one of the Russians lined up to protect Gorbachev from the military coup. Two of his brothers killed in that action.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:13 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I've always wondered if the Metallica set was intentionally done to provoke the Soviets. Their first three songs all had religious aspects to them. The first has an actual prayer being said in the middle of the song.

Oh, and I had hair to my waist at that time and could swing like Jason Newstead. Always had my space on the thrash floor! :wink:

ETA: Oops, first two songs. The third was Fade to Black.

ETA 2: watching the long vid. I forgot how entertaining Angus Young is live!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:57 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Maybe the most appropriate performance of "For Those About to Rock" ever.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:53 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Doom wrote:

Hey Doom!

My son just introduced me to this band (?) and I immediately thought of you. Dee Schnider is on this album, as is my personal favorite metal singer Geoff Tate. it was done in 2018.

What do you think?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:08 pm 
King of Cool

Dee Snider and Geoff Tate sound like a great combination, but to be honest, I don't really listen to that kind of music anymore, I've outgrown it. Today, I'm more interested in Classic Motown and 1950's era rockabilly.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:10 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Doom wrote:
Dee Snider and Geoff Tate sound like a great combination, but to be honest, I don't really listen to that kind of music anymore, I've outgrown it. Today, I'm more interested in Classic Motown and 1950's era rockabilly.

Gotcha. Sorry!