Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Discussion I had with a friend about homosexual priests.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:50 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
My friend asked the question, “There have obviously been a very large number of homosexual priests over the years who simply cannot prevent themselves from acting out on it, in turn, abusing young men—so why do so many gay men want to become priests, when there are “Christian” sects that embrace homosexuality? Where then they would practice with consenting adults.

For one, I guess I don’t know about these “sects” and two, if there are in fact sects like this, why wouldn’t these gay Christian men be more inclined to join them? I know that Same Sex Attraction isn’t a reason to avoid becoming a priest, but it has obviously been a huge problem in the church. I just don’t know what to say anymore. The excuses come and keep coming.

Post subject: Re: Discussion I had with a friend about homosexual priests.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:03 pm 
There Can Be Only One

My insight into sexually active clergy is limited to Protestant/Anglican versions. Hetero, but destructive of the local church. Except for the last -- an Episcopal clergyman who forgave himself and so did the local church and diocese. Several lesbian clergy living with partners outside of matrimony ... celebrated by the Episcopal church as exemplars of Christians.

So, the behavior is not at all limited to Catholics. Though not according to the MSM, who would have you believe, somehow, that lesbians don't count.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:14 pm 
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
Vincenzo wrote:
My friend asked the question, “There have obviously been a very large number of homosexual priests over the years who simply cannot prevent themselves from acting out on it, in turn, abusing young men—so why do so many gay men want to become priests, when there are “Christian” sects that embrace homosexuality? Where then they would practice with consenting adults.

For one, I guess I don’t know about these “sects” and two, if there are in fact sects like this, why wouldn’t these gay Christian men be more inclined to join them? I know that Same Sex Attraction isn’t a reason to avoid becoming a priest, but it has obviously been a huge problem in the church. I just don’t know what to say anymore. The excuses come and keep coming.

A few quick replies.

Same sex attraction is indeed a reason not to become a priest--men who suffer from it are barred from entering seminary.

The kind of man who would impose himself on a teenage boy is not a man who is especially interested in restricting himself to sex with consenting adults.

I don't know why so many homosexuals have pursued the priesthood. One can speculate. For example, I'd suppose that it could be attractive because it's a life where you're not going to be constantly harassed by your Catholic family members about why you're not married yet. In other words, it can serve as a kind of cover--this might not matter to young people today, but think back to the 60's or 70's or even the 80's.

It could also be that the young man has been groomed by another predator priest, who has assured him of a lovely gay seminary lifestyle and a supportive community of other gay priests once he's ordained.

It could give also people a chance to try to change the Church from within. After all, people like McCarrick were really powerful in the Church, and clearly exercise a significant influence on things. I'm not saying your average guy thinks he'll become a cardinal and get to actually have a direct say in these matters. But just think how many young souls a parish priest is able to poison with his bad advice in the confessional (if he actually bothers much with hearing confessions) or his preaching.

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:17 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
It has been the case for centuries that men with homosexual tendencies were attracted to the priesthood because that was just about the only option for men who didn't wish to be married, and obviously, a homosexual man would not want to be married to a woman, so entering the priesthood was a convenient way to hide their secret. That said, there is a difference between having homosexual tendencies and being a sexual predator, however, it is a well-known fact that there is a large homosexual subculture that is fond of sexual relationships with young boys (and by young I mean, post-pubescent boys aged 14-18). This has been going on for a long time, there are references to this in the dialogues of Plato, more than 2000 years ago.

The truth is that most of the sex scandals the last 25 years or so have not involved pedophilia (which is an unnatural sexual attraction to pre-pubescent children) but rather involved homosexual relationships, often voluntary, between priests and post-pubescent boys aged 14-18.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:47 pm 
There Can Be Only One

gherkin wrote:
Vincenzo wrote:

A few quick replies.

Same sex attraction is indeed a reason not to become a priest--men who suffer from it are barred from entering seminary.

The kind of man who would impose himself on a teenage boy is not a man who is especially interested in restricting himself to sex with consenting adults.

I don't know why so many homosexuals have pursued the priesthood. One can speculate. For example, I'd suppose that it could be attractive because it's a life where you're not going to be constantly harassed by your Catholic family members about why you're not married yet. In other words, it can serve as a kind of cover--this might not matter to young people today, but think back to the 60's or 70's or even the 80's.

It could also be that the young man has been groomed by another predator priest, who has assured him of a lovely gay seminary lifestyle and a supportive community of other gay priests once he's ordained.

It could give also people a chance to try to change the Church from within. After all, people like McCarrick were really powerful in the Church, and clearly exercise a significant influence on things. I'm not saying your average guy thinks he'll become a cardinal and get to actually have a direct say in these matters. But just think how many young souls a parish priest is able to poison with his bad advice in the confessional (if he actually bothers much with hearing confessions) or his preaching.

Well thought out and presented.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:49 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

All good replies, and though saddened, I have a better understanding. I’ll admit, I have not gotten out of bed at times to go to mass because the whole thing disgusts me so much. To use your position and power as a priest to completely ruin a young man’s psychological well being for the rest of his life is down right demonic. It’s like they become an agent of Satan. How selfish? Is there a greater selfishness?

Let’s hope youngsters are keen enough now days to report any perverse behavior immediately. Your instincts don’t lie. And I think we’re past the days of “Who’s going to believe a little kid over a priest?”

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:28 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Without defending or excusing anyone's actions (because I find them reprehensible too): Do you think McCarrick invented all the grooming processes etc.? Or that predators in general do? I suppose some must, and someone along the way had to have come up with the whole thing. But my understanding is that most predators were preyed upon by someone else first.

Again, that's not an excuse. They're responsible for what they do. But if you're wondering how Satan got a handle on them, then prior abuse is often part of it.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:16 pm 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
That and I think it's a plot to destroy the Church.

- Justice Scalia, dissent, King v. Burwell.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:21 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: SSVdP
Doom wrote:
It has been the case for centuries that men with homosexual tendencies were attracted to the priesthood because that was just about the only option for men who didn't wish to be married, and obviously, a homosexual man would not want to be married to a woman, so entering the priesthood was a convenient way to hide their secret. That said, there is a difference between having homosexual tendencies and being a sexual predator, however, it is a well-known fact that there is a large homosexual subculture that is fond of sexual relationships with young boys (and by young I mean, post-pubescent boys aged 14-18). This has been going on for a long time, there are references to this in the dialogues of Plato, more than 2000 years ago.

The truth is that most of the sex scandals the last 25 years or so have not involved pedophilia (which is an unnatural sexual attraction to pre-pubescent children) but rather involved homosexual relationships, often voluntary, between priests and post-pubescent boys aged 14-18.

In Australia the age of consent is 16.

A sexual relationship between a Priest (or any adult) with a child under 16 (male or female) is rape.

The age of consent is the age at which the law says you can agree (consent) to have sex.

If you are under the age of consent, the law says that you cannot legally agree to have sex. So even if you say yes to sex, a person who has sex with you can be charged with a serious criminal offence, jailed and placed on the sex offender register.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:20 am 

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
It's statutory rape, but I don't believe Doom was making a legal point.

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:18 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I just see the sexual abuse, or even abusive tendencies, as such a powerful grip Satan has on the church.

It’s to the point where I was reading an article the other day about that priest who was stealing thousands and thousands of dollars from his parish to fund his million dollar house, “When I though, well thank God he didn’t abuse any children!”

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:51 pm 

Vincenzo wrote:
All good replies, and though saddened, I have a better understanding. I’ll admit, I have not gotten out of bed at times to go to mass because the whole thing disgusts me so much.

We can't leave Peter because of Judas. There will always Judases. Priests (and married couple) in particular, have a bulls eye on their backs. Bring down the center and you can affect the entire circle.

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:57 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

anawim wrote:
Vincenzo wrote:
All good replies, and though saddened, I have a better understanding. I’ll admit, I have not gotten out of bed at times to go to mass because the whole thing disgusts me so much.

We can't leave Peter because of Judas. There will always Judases. Priests (and married couple) in particular, have a bulls eye on their backs. Bring down the center and you can affect the entire circle.

I hear ya, Anawim.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:51 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

gherkin wrote:
Vincenzo wrote:

Good points.