Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 10 of 10   [ 189 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:05 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Soccer isn't popular in the US, at least not in comparison even to hockey, the least popular of the major sports. Do you have an explanation?

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:18 pm 
Eminent
Eminent

Religion: Католик
There are too many different sports. Even walking for exercise is considered a sport!

According to Sport One, the following are ranked for popularity:

1. American football
2. Baseball
3. Basketball
4. Ice hockey
5. Soccer
6. Boxing
7. Auto racing
8. Golf
9. Tennis
10. Mixed martial arts

PS: You might want to vote for popularity of sports:

https://m.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/m ... can-sports

Vietnamese - Mother's Heart Will Conquer.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:53 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Highlander wrote:
Doom wrote:
Women have already won the Women's World Cup and Olympic gold and done both more than once, and it has done zilch to generate American interest in soccer. Even having women's soccer players pose for Playboy has done nothing to generate interest. This is because Americans have real sports to be interested in. If you notice, soccer is popular in those parts of the world that have no other sports to interest people.

In addition to the United States, other countries that have zero interest in soccer are Austrailia, Canada, and Russia. Canada and Russia are obsessed with hockey, while Australians are interested in rugby. So, when a country has its own national sport, it has no interest in soccer.

Wrong in so many ways and at so many levels. I defer to most of you all in the areas of theology, some literature, some history, and many other areas ... but not here.

All I can, and will say, is follow the sport -- internationally and domestically -- for five or ten years and then we can discuss your assertions.

- Australia has an international soccer team and a professional soccer league overseen by the Football Federation Australia indicating more than zero interest.
- Canada also basically the same as Australia, again more than zero interest in the sport.
- "Football [soccer] is the most popular sport in Russia, beating Ice Hockey by a huge margin." Ice Hockey was the most popular in the USSR, But not Russia as a separate country. As far as the organization of the sport, same as the two above.

Just google it.

Facts are pesky things compared to unsubstantiated opinion.

Last edited by 1HCaAC on Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:55 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Soccer isn't popular in the US, at least not in comparison even to hockey, the least popular of the major sports. Do you have an explanation?

I think more kids play soccer today than hockey, which may have nothing to do with popularity, yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:15 pm 
There Can Be Only One

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

I was responding to Doom's assertions. Others have addressed several of them. I was not asserting that soccer is one of the top three in the US. I do hold that it soon will be. Or, maybe, it already is.

Soccer is increasingly popular and has shown steady, perhaps accelerating popularity growth.. MLS, which is the Division I US and Canadian professional league, has grown from 10 teams in 1993 to 23 teams today. It will expand to 26 teams by 2020 and 28 teams at some future date. There is a Division II organization, the United Soccer League (USL), consisting of 31 US and 2 Canadian clubs. Currently there is no Division III, but there are indications of the birth of a league of that level in 2020. Professional soccer has grown from 7 teams in 1994 to 56 teams today. Even my small city has just finished its third year having a developmental league team (amateur).

Attendance for professional matches continues to grow. The top 28 international friendlies ranged from attendance of 93K (1) to 61K (28). In addition, two games between foreign sides resulted in attendance of 109K anbd 106K. For MLS, last year's average attendance ranged from 45K to 15K, by team. Of interest, since soccer stadiums vary widely in capacity, average attendance ranged from 113% to 74% of capacity. Total MLS league attendance was 8.3 M. When compared to the other major sports, MLS was fourth in average attendance -- behind the NFL, CFL, and MLB -- but greater than the NBA and NHL. However, as you might expect, it was next to last in total attendance, passing only the CFL. Worldwide, and this is very important, MLS has the 7th greatest average attendance of the other international leagues, with more attendance than the professional leagues in France, Argentina, and the Netherlands ... and within 2K of the Chinese, Italian, and Argentinian leagues. In total attendance, the US came in behind only Germany, England, Spain, and Italy. So, in attendance, the US is about 5th or 6th in the world.

A limiting factor is the nature of the sport. Soccer happens only about once a week per team. The stadiums are relatively small (but are getting bigger as new stadiums are built). Soccer, like baseball, requires an appreciation of the nuances of the game. However, a major attraction is that the US has national men's and women's teams which can link into the greatest sporting event on the planet, the World Cup. And, as the numbers indicate, soccer popularity is growing while, I believe, the NFL and MLB are declining.

Finally, as college soccer continues to be a less viable venue for good players to advance to professional status, the professional leagues at various levels will increasingly demonstrate better technical and tactical play.

The main reason, however, that soccer is increasing in popularity is demographic. The millions who played youth soccer now have a professional league available to attract their loyalty. The crowds at professional soccer games are young, particularly compared to MLB and NFL. A major factor, I hold, in giving the impression that soccer is a minor sport is that TV exposure for MLS is very limited. You can seen endless games of the four other major sports ... you can even see more golf and tennis than soccer. The attendance numbers just don't match the TV exposure.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:19 pm 
Eminent
Eminent

Religion: Католик
I watched Russian kids (really kids) reenact the World Cup 2018 final match between France and Croatia.

The score was now 4-2.

Here’s the video:

https://www.rt.com/sport/433453-footbal ... cup-final/

Vietnamese - Mother's Heart Will Conquer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:45 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
1HCaAC wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

I think more kids play soccer today than hockey, which may have nothing to do with popularity, yet.

And 90% of the kids who grow up playing soccer 'graduate' to baseball and football in high school. In the United States, soccer is a game for kids, like tetherball.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:25 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Doom wrote:
1HCaAC wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

And 90% of the kids who grow up playing soccer 'graduate' to baseball and football in high school. In the United States, soccer is a game for kids, like tetherball.

I do not agree. Soccer, as a team sport is played in high school and colleges in the USA. Plus there is the MLS at the professional level.

To claim only kids play soccer is just plain wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:05 am 
There Can Be Only One

As documented above .... yup.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 10 of 10   [ 189 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10