Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 3   [ 47 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Favorite films of late
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:40 pm 

Religion: Catholic
Yes I am behind on movies...finally saw Battleship tonight. I think it is so cool that they used real veterans in the movie, particularly the old guys who really fought on the USS Missouri, what a blast it must of been for them! Kudos to the producers for using a disabled vet also, Greg Gadson.

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:02 pm 
Defender
Defender

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus 4th Degree
St Veronica wrote:
Yes I am behind on movies...finally saw Battleship tonight. I think it is so cool that they used real veterans in the movie, particularly the old guys who really fought on the USS Missouri, what a blast it must of been for them! Kudos to the producers for using a disabled vet also, Greg Gadson.

SV

Haven't seen Battleship and had no idea they hired an actual disabled vet in the movie. Very cool. As a disabled person myself, I do like it when filmmakers hire actual disabled actors to play disabled roles (though I'm not an absolutist about it). The recent Edgar Wright film Baby Driver had an actual deaf person acting in the film.

For you love all things that are, and hate none of the things which you have made: for you did not appoint, or make anything hating it. Wisdom 11:25

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:21 pm 

Yes he's a bilateral (above the knees) amputee ...he has prosthetics and he gets around pretty good on them in the movie (hills etc) ..still a pretty fit guy. You can google him and read his bio. I hope the trend of hiring disabled actors continues!

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:44 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
I think The Last Jedi could have been a good movie if it did not break the Star Wars universe as we know it (which, for most people, is through the movies). For example, all sorts of new Force powers were revealed - turning on light sabers remotely, remote viewing, remote projection, keeping oneself alive in a vacuum, and floating back towards a ship (by pushing off what exactly?). And if it's possible to destroy ships by ramming them at relativistic speeds (which, I will admit, was a beautiful scene) then why haven't weapons been developed to do this? Everyone should just be using light-speed missiles.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:48 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
gherkin wrote:
I saw a movie a little while back that was moderately good. It's called Conspiracy--also with Branagh. I thought it might be a counterexample to the "recent movies are awful" line. But I checked, and it was made in 2001. That's still pretty recent to old people like me, but probably not recent enough to really count as recent.

Conspiracy was really good. I think it was an HBO (or maybe Showtime) production, so it wasn't released in theaters - at least not to the best of my knowledge. But really excellent cast (besides Branagh, Colin Firth and Stanley Tucci also star).

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:18 am 
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
The actors were excellent. I don't know why I'm hesitant to give it more than about three and a half out of five stars, but I am. Perhaps I should watch it again.

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:49 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
firth was in one of the movies we've seen this century.... "the king's speech"

De Maria numquam satis

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 3   [ 47 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3