Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 31 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Boys Scouts to start admitting girls
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:19 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Roman Catholic
Time to pull my son out (after he gets his popcorn sale prise 8-) )

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/bo ... ut-n809836

The good news is that at least the Girls Scouts were also opposed to this move.

Post subject: Re: Boys Scouts to start admitting girls
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:24 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian
And...
GIRL SCOUTS NOW ALLOW BOYS

If a child identifies as a girl and the child’s family presents her as a girl, Girl Scouts of Colorado welcomes her as a Girl Scout.”

http://unitedfamilies.org/abstinence/gi ... llow-boys/

But our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, our Lord Jesus Christ, Philippians 3:20

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:54 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
p.falk wrote:

what will the name of this new organization be to reflect the current membership? :roll: :nooo:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:47 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Sad political correctness.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:16 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Roman Catholic
Is the best response to just pull your child out (whether boy or girl scout) and let those organizations die a quick death of irrelevance and absurdity?

It does look like Milwaukee (which I'm pretty near) has a Troops of St. George group. Maybe I'll look into that.

or, try to cultivate some of those skills with just him and me.... and maybe see if some of his friends would be interested.

Either way, it's frustrating: just as I was warming up to the Boy Scouts...our first meeting they were talking about responsibility, honor towards God (I kid you not), the importance of developing morality (things you rarely hear mentioned to kids outside of their church groups).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:42 am 
There Can Be Only One

Scouting, which used to be about living in and enjoying the out of doors, has become yet another venue for political indoctrination. DW, who loved being a Girl Scout, says that GSs are now unrecognizable.

But just wait till the first GS becomes preggo. And just wait till the women take over running BS troops. I predict, being a male who has the inclination to just leave the game if the deck is stacked, that boys will be driven out of BS.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:48 am 
There Can Be Only One

faithfulservant wrote:
p.falk wrote:

what will the name of this new organization be to reflect the current membership? :roll: :nooo:

They just announced that it would be the Grrl, Boy, LGBTTQQIAAP, and Dreamers But Not Necessarily Just the United States Because Immigrants Are Welcome Too (Plus Islamists of an ISIS Bent) of America and Other Places. I understand you will able to earn a Merit Badge if you can state the correct name.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

Last edited by Highlander on Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:11 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
i figgered it would be something along those lines ::):

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:26 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
p.falk wrote:
It does look like Milwaukee (which I'm pretty near) has a Troops of St. George group. Maybe I'll look into that.

Troops of St. George isn't scouting; it's father-son camping (not that there's anything wrong with that, but it isn't scouting).

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:43 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Lord Baden-Powell probably wouldn't approve.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:07 pm 
Corporate Minion Moderator
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
1HCaAC wrote:

I'm positive that Juliette Gordon Low started spinning in her grave a good 40 years ago. :cry:

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:19 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

1HCaAC wrote:

Lord Baden-Powell would not approve of many of the changes to scouting that have happened since he died. And in fact, from jump he thought that the BSA was too bureaucratic with its paid executives, etc.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:09 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (SSPX)
Highlander wrote:
Scouting, which used to be about living in and enjoying the out of doors, has become yet another venue for political indoctrination. DW, who loved being a Girl Scout, says that GSs are now unrecognizable.

But just wait till the first GS becomes preggo. And just wait till the women take over running BS troops. I predict, being a male who has the inclination to just leave the game if the deck is stacked, that boys will be driven out of BS.

100% on point.

ON. POINT.

Boy Scouts will just become "Scouts".
Girl Scouts will just become "Scouts".
The 2 entities should just merge to become one "Scouts", and then boys and girls can all sell cookies to pay for their little kumbayah camping trips where everybody sits around the fire with s'mores, talking about their feelings.

Yes, boys becoming men will eventually just check out of the game altogether. It's already happening... which is why you have things like "ghosting" and the men's rights activists and "grasseaters" (in Japan) and things like that.

And a lot of single women are still out there asking these days: "Where have all the men gone?"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:36 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

I doubt the Girl Scouts will merge with the BSA. The two orgs have a completely different structure (as well as a completely different philosophy). Lots of countries have co-ed scouting associations but keep a girls-only guiding association.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:18 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian
Over a span of 12 yrs from 1959 to 1970, I was a Cub Scout/ Boy Scout/ Order of the Arrow/ Eagle/Troop leader. I would never allow one of my children to be associated with the organization today.

But our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, our Lord Jesus Christ, Philippians 3:20

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:24 pm 

We no longer purchase any products from girl/boy scouts. We haven't the GS for over 10 years ...the BS 'ban' is more recent.

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:43 pm 
There Can Be Only One

My last days as a Scout Leader were marked by two pivotal events.

The first was when a single mother approached our Scoutmaster and asked us to take on her son. She said he needed male role models. I asked what she was going to do to contribute to the Troop. The Scoutmaster, who had never spent a night out of doors at that point, said he would not ask her to contribute anything because sad story. Her son was a behavior problem from the get-go.

The second was when I was leading a backpacking hike and overnight camping experience into a wilderness area -- the one and only time the troop did not think that car camping was actual camping. I quit trying to advise the Scoutmaster's son on how to adjust his pack, because the Scoutmaster told me that his son knew how to do it and didn't need any help. As this point, the Scoutmaster was about to spend his first night out of doors except for car camping. As I was leading them up a pretty steep climb, taxing even for me (I had taken that trail a couple of times before) but not fatal for teen boys, I head the Scoutmaster screaming -- yes, screaming -- that we had to stop. It appears that his son's pack was flopping around, making his uphill hump even more difficult and complaining that he could go no farther. In front of all, he screamed that I was being completely cruel and unreasonable and I was asking the kids to do more than they could. So, I said, "Fine. You take over." Which he attempted to do, with mixed results.

We crested the slope in about another 50 yards.

Instead of the boys overcoming an obstacle that was painful -- and having a sense of accomplishment -- they got to witness a meltdown by the Scoutmaster and the trip leader checking out. I interjected myself three more times on that trip. One was when one tent did not put candy in their bear bag, but were eating it in their tent. I had them for lunch ... as it were. The Scoutmaster said I should not talk to them like that. Another was when they were drinking directly from a stream that, they explained, was about 50 feet off the trail so it should be safe. I had them for lunch again.

I also sent the boys out in a meadow to dig latrines....well away from the camping area and possible latrine pits from other campers ... because it is always easier to dig where someone else has already dug. They were having a great time, digging to China, when the Scoutmaster approached me and asked me to supervise them. I replied that digging a hole was not a task that required adult oversight. The boys were very proud of their crater.

After the trip, I told the Scoutmaster that I would simplify any conflict in our approaches. To do so, I said that I quit.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

Last edited by Highlander on Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:45 pm 
There Can Be Only One

St Veronica wrote:
We no longer purchase any products from girl/boy scouts. We haven't the GS for over 10 years ...the BS 'ban' is more recent. ...

We compromise. I absolutely hate to buy any GS cookies, but, if the neighbor girl selling them is a good kid, I'll make a token purchase. I feel she needs to know that some folks will support her.

I absolutely won't buy from parents at work or parents at a table in front to Walmart. Which has led to several uncomfortable interchanges.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:58 pm 

I've had co-workers approach me in the past asking...I just say no thanks, if they persist I explain exactly why. They generally never ask again.

I've refused a number of times at the tables outside Walmart etc....never had any incidents though!

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:13 pm 
There Can Be Only One

St Veronica wrote:
I've had co-workers approach me in the past asking...I just say no thanks, if they persist I explain exactly why. They generally never ask again.

I've refused a number of times at the tables outside Walmart etc....never had any incidents though!

SV

Oh, I've gotten push back from Moms at work when I decline to buy GS cookies or chances with a band raffle or candy bars for the soccer team's tour of Europe. It boils down to, "Why won't your support a worthy cause since you make more money that I do and I'm entitled to have you buy something from me." I will admit that I've walked down the hall to buy a candy bar when a chocolate craving hits me ... but not for charity, rather for my taste buds.

And, have you not seen the tables of parents selling GS cookies .... with not one GS in attendance?

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

Last edited by Highlander on Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 31 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next