Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 8 of 8   [ 159 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Fiction Novels?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:12 pm 

Religion: Catholic
I scrolled through the posts here and concluded that there are two kinds of people: Those who like Catcher in the Rye, and those who have good taste in literature. Sorry, maybe that's unfair. Let it suffice to say that I never hated a book so much in my life that I wished I could punch the author in the nose for having foisted it on an otherwise literate world.

I was so moved by the work that I posted a review on Amazon. If you're not still mad at me, you can read it here. -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/review/R20W0J5URV5H8K?ref_=glimp_1rv_cl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:54 pm 
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Riverboat wrote:
Let it suffice to say that I never hated a book so much in my life that I wished I could punch the author in the nose for having foisted it on an otherwise literate world.

I have hated a book that much, and one that I've never even read, at that. It, by Stephen King. That book single-handedly destroyed the clowning profession - an innocent form of entertainment that delighted children (myself included) for millennia until that bastage King created such a vile perversion of a clown that he single handedly turned the symbol of innocent amusement into the symbol for perverse cruelty. What he did to crush the spirits of the men and women who put on the grease paint and the oversized shoes is just plain mean.

If ever I could go back in time and prevent a book from being written, I'd stop It ahead of Mein Kampf or the Koran.

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:51 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Mrs. Timmy wrote:
Riverboat wrote:
Let it suffice to say that I never hated a book so much in my life that I wished I could punch the author in the nose for having foisted it on an otherwise literate world.

I have hated a book that much, and one that I've never even read, at that. It, by Stephen King. That book single-handedly destroyed the clowning profession - an innocent form of entertainment that delighted children (myself included) for millennia until that bastage King created such a vile perversion of a clown that he single handedly turned the symbol of innocent amusement into the symbol for perverse cruelty. What he did to crush the spirits of the men and women who put on the grease paint and the oversized shoes is just plain mean.

If ever I could go back in time and prevent a book from being written, I'd stop It ahead of Mein Kampf or the Koran.

There has to be more to it than that. Around 1977/78, when she was around 5, my daughter announced that clowns were evil and that she would not permit any around. I suspected this was a reaction to a SF magazine cover of a clown doll and a child (maybe ANALOG or SF & FANTASY mag). A skillful piece of work, perhaps by Roweena, as I recall. A clown doll made by my aunt, and sent as a gift around this time, never made it out of the attic. May still be there, but I am not allergic.

Maybe John Wayne Gacy had a part to play in the general growth of the Evil Clown meme, but I can cite a case that was 10 years in advance of Pennyworth.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:46 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
GKC wrote:
There has to be more to it than that. Around 1977/78, when she was around 5, my daughter announced that clowns were evil and that she would not permit any around. I suspected this was a reaction to a SF magazine cover of a clown doll and a child (maybe ANALOG or SF & FANTASY mag). A skillful piece of work, perhaps by Roweena, as I recall. A clown doll made by my aunt, and sent as a gift around this time, never made it out of the attic. May still be there, but I am not allergic.

Maybe John Wayne Gacy had a part to play in the general growth of the Evil Clown meme, but I can cite a case that was 10 years in advance of Pennyworth.

There is a scary clown doll in the movie Poltergeist, but that too would have been after your daughter's revelation.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:06 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
Peregrinator wrote:
GKC wrote:

There is a scary clown doll in the movie Poltergeist, but that too would have been after your daughter's revelation.

I've been afraid of clowns and ventriloquist's dummies since I was a very little -er I mean YOUNG - girl, and that was far prior to IT.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:07 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

kage_ar wrote:
Peregrinator wrote:
GKC wrote:

I've been afraid of clowns and ventriloquist's dummies since I was a very little -er I mean YOUNG - girl, and that was far prior to IT.

I grew up with clowns. Kellogg did a series of famous clowns on one of their cereals. Started with Emmett Kelly. And there was a couple of circus themed TV shows with featured clowns, in the early 50s. Ed McMahon played one. And Clarabelle. And I had a sort of Pierrot white face clown stuffed figure (boys don't have dolls).

Had a Jerry Mahoney ventriloquist dummy. Both those latter are still in the attic. I sleep well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:45 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
Riverboat wrote:
... there are two kinds of people: Those who like Catcher in the Rye, and those who have good taste in literature...

:soap: "I'm quite illiterate, but I read a lot."

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

- I remember a lot of things. (Some of which actually happened.)

- Even the best of men may be born in times unsuited to their virtues.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:26 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Whatever else one might say about Stephen King (and there is much to be said, pro and con), he has a great knack for picking up and using currents in popular thought. Clowns can be a little odd, and he amplified that to great dramatic effect. He didn't create the uneasiness--he just drew attention to it.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:35 pm 

GKC wrote:
I grew up with clowns. Kellogg did a series of famous clowns on one of their cereals. Started with Emmett Kelly. And there was a couple of circus themed TV shows with featured clowns, in the early 50s. Ed McMahon played one. And Clarabelle. And I had a sort of Pierrot white face clown stuffed figure (boys don't have dolls).

Had a Jerry Mahoney ventriloquist dummy. Both those latter are still in the attic. I sleep well.

I grew up with clowns, too - in fact, I'd never even heard of people being afraid of clowns or creeped out by them until I was in college. The Ringling Brothers Circus always was in Atlanta at the time of my birthday, and for years, my parents took me and a friend to see them. I got to see all the greats, especially Emmett Kelly (whose daughter Stacia did the morning drive show at a popular radio station in Atlanta) and Lou Jacobs. I love clowns and still believe that clowning is an act of love in one of its purest, most innocent forms. That's why I take such particular exception to what Stephen King did (and yes, I do blame him most of all). He shattered one of the few fond childhood memories I have.

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:44 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Mrs. Timmy wrote:
GKC wrote:

I grew up with clowns, too - in fact, I'd never even heard of people being afraid of clowns or creeped out by them until I was in college. The Ringling Brothers Circus always was in Atlanta at the time of my birthday, and for years, my parents took me and a friend to see them. I got to see all the greats, especially Emmett Kelly (whose daughter Stacia did the morning drive show at a popular radio station in Atlanta) and Lou Jacobs. I love clowns and still believe that clowning is an act of love in one of its purest, most innocent forms. That's why I take such particular exception to what Stephen King did (and yes, I do blame him most of all). He shattered one of the few fond childhood memories I have.

Lou Jacobs was the 2nd clown in the Kellogg series.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:47 pm 

Lou Jacobs was also the inspiration for the commemorative clown postage stamp in the 1960's.

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:03 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Mrs. Timmy wrote:
Lou Jacobs was also the inspiration for the commemorative clown postage stamp in the 1960's.

Pretty sure I have a plate block of that stamp. My album pages ended in 1963, but I was still buying stamps as they were released, through the Bi-centennial.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:32 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Most anything can be perverted.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:02 am 

Meanwhile, back to the topic at hand . . .

I may be out there, but I found Brideshead Revisited tedious. Fact is, I found nothing worth remembering so far this year. I read two plays by Euripides and another novel by Willa Cather. Nothing to hang my hat on.

So I went back a year (yes, this nerd keeps a list of everything I read. I also take notes, and not infrequently post a book review) to see if 2016 went better.

Indeed! I read The Inferno (third time), A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (second time), The Scarlet Pimpernel (second time), and 1776 (the musical, third time). For the first time I read Gone With the Wind. It was far better than I expected. Fact is, I only read it because my wife pestered me. It was everything I could have hoped for in an epic. And for lagniappe, it is now declared Most Likely to Cause Snowflake Meltdown.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:07 am 

Riverboat wrote:

I may be out there, but I found Brideshead Revisited tedious. Fact is, I found nothing worth remembering so far this year. I read two plays by Euripides and another novel by Willa Cather. Nothing to hang my hat on.

So I went back a year (yes, this nerd keeps a list of everything I read. I also take notes, and not infrequently post a book review) to see if 2016 went better.

Indeed! I read The Inferno (third time), A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (second time), The Scarlet Pimpernel (second time), and 1776 (the musical, third time). For the first time I read Gone With the Wind. It was far better than I expected. Fact is, I only read it because my wife pestered me. It was everything I could have hoped for in an epic. And for lagniappe, it is now declared Most Likely to Cause Snowflake Meltdown.

When I finally read GWTW seven years ago, I continually kicked myself for having put it off for so long. Those who only know the film really are cheating themselves by not reading the book.

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:36 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Mrs. Timmy wrote:
Riverboat wrote:

When I finally read GWTW seven years ago, I continually kicked myself for having put it off for so long. Those who only know the film really are cheating themselves by not reading the book.

I read it many years ago, in my mother's Motion Picture edition of the book. It did little for me. Nor did the movie. Not offensive, not bad, not anything in particular. However, years later, while eating at the now defunct Planet Hollywood restaurant in Atlanta, among the props/memorabilia used as decorations, in keeping the Hollywood theme, was a 1st/1st ed of GWTW, signed by Margaret Mitchell, and, as far as I could tell, every named member of the cast. That impressed me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:39 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I've never read Catcher in the Rye. :fyi:

'The only cure for sagging or fainting faith is Communion.... Like the act of Faith it must be continuous and grow by exercise. Frequency is of the highest effect. Seven times a week is more nourishing than seven times at intervals.'
J.R.R. Tolkien

Blasé member of PPPA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:58 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Norwegianblue wrote:
I've never read Catcher in the Rye. :fyi:

Nothing wrong with that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:57 pm 
Master
Master

One of the best books I ever read was the Deep Space 9 novel, A Stitch in Time by "Garak" actor, Andrew J. Robinson. When I read this book, I was going through a low point in my life while working at a veterinary practice with strange doctor who was co-dependent on her staff, with one girl in particular being extremely vindictive (per the doctor and office manager during my interview) to any new employees who tried to work there. I lasted a year and half, but when it got really bad towards the end, reading this book is what helped me get through it all.

https://www.amazon.com/Stitch-Time-Star ... 0671038850

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Elim_Garak

Quote:
The enigmatic Garak - Cardassian-in-exile on space station Deep Space Nine - refers to himself as just a simple tailor, but everyone knows that there's more to him than that. Why was he banished from his home planet? And why does he choose exile on Deep Space Nine?

"Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side...and the truth." ~ Vorlon proverb, Babylon 5

"Life has to be more than just a pulse beat. What we hold sacred gives our lives meaning." ~ Commander Jeffery Sinclair, Babylon 5

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 8 of 8   [ 159 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8