Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: National Bowling Day
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:51 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Today is National Bowling Day. Haven't been bowling since 1991.

Post subject: Re: National Bowling Day
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:01 pm 
Corporate Minion Moderator
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
I haven't been since...oh, maybe 2012? I enjoy bowling greatly, except for the fact that I'm double-jointed and cannot hold onto a bowling ball properly. The balls light enough for me to use have holes that are too small for my fingers, and I can't hold onto the balls with large enough holes - my knuckles just give way. :( I'd get by for a game, maybe a game and a half, then I have no ball control at all and it's no longer fun. Now that the arthritis in my hands has gotten worse in the past couple of years, I'm not even sure I could do that well. *sigh*

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:17 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Went bowling today but I am a youth coach so I go almost every Saturday but I don't always get to bowl when I am there. I have been fighting a nerve problem trying to make a comeback.

I have 4 boys in youth leagues and the coaching the kids get these days is top notch. We even have a USBC Gold certified coach who makes regular trips through Baton Rouge. I have a kid that is very likely to bowl for his HS team this year. They lost a LOT this past season. I just wish that had been an option when I was in HS.

Mark my words, with the rapid growth of HS bowling and the availability of scholarships, especially for women, bowling is making a comeback :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:00 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
i am fortunate enough to have been be a member of two state championship teams... the first when state was held in corpus christi and i was in 9th grade...i had two brothers on the team.... the second was held in austin and our team was made up of members of our high school bowling team and i was a senior...i had twin brothers on the team (one went on to some prominence as a pro bowler, having rolled one of the early 300 games in televised competiton)

as a freshman, i was averaging around 170... as a senior, i had improved to 180... this was before the advent of the different make up of the composition of the balls... in other words, we all threw hard rubber balls

i gave it up during college, maybe going a few times... the one time i took my future wife, she broke a nail and never went again :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard

i picked it up again after college and bowled competitively for the next 24 years, achieving my highest league average of 208 , my highest game of 290 (a ringing ten pin in the first, then 11 in a row) and my highest series of 767... i'm no brother ed, but i wasn't too bad :fyi:

after i converted in '97, i bowled for one more full season after that, but decided to give it up because i was too competitive (no!? really?????!!!!!!!!!1) and that was kind of a detriment to my faith journey at the time

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:53 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: As I understand it.....in God's will. This is the best place to be.
Religion: Byzantine Catholic
Church Affiliations: Past Grand Knight KoC 15107
weunice wrote:
Went bowling today but I am a youth coach so I go almost every Saturday but I don't always get to bowl when I am there. I have been fighting a nerve problem trying to make a comeback.

I have 4 boys in youth leagues and the coaching the kids get these days is top notch. We even have a USBC Gold certified coach who makes regular trips through Baton Rouge. I have a kid that is very likely to bowl for his HS team this year. They lost a LOT this past season. I just wish that had been an option when I was in HS.

Mark my words, with the rapid growth of HS bowling and the availability of scholarships, especially for women, bowling is making a comeback :)

Well, I hope the PBA is doing something, for Pete's sake. I have been bowling since I was 8 and I can remember when you would walk in an alley at 6PM to see if you could get a lane and the counter would tell you that there wouldn't be anything free until 11!

ALL 48 LANES!!!!!

Now...........sheesh, the place is like a ghost town. The PGA and the NFL realized the value of entertainment years ago and began to promote their sports so they could compete with the National Pastime. Bowling.....pfffft....who knows what they were thinking? :nooo:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:57 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

faithfulservant wrote:
i am fortunate enough to have been be a member of two state championship teams... the first when state was held in corpus christi and i was in 9th grade...i had two brothers on the team.... the second was held in austin and our team was made up of members of our high school bowling team and i was a senior...i had twin brothers on the team (one went on to some prominence as a pro bowler, having rolled one of the early 300 games in televised competiton)

as a freshman, i was averaging around 170... as a senior, i had improved to 180... this was before the advent of the different make up of the composition of the balls... in other words, we all threw hard rubber balls

i gave it up during college, maybe going a few times... the one time i took my future wife, she broke a nail and never went again :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard

i picked it up again after college and bowled competitively for the next 24 years, achieving my highest league average of 208 , my highest game of 290 (a ringing ten pin in the first, then 11 in a row) and my highest series of 767... i'm no brother ed, but i wasn't too bad :fyi:

after i converted in '97, i bowled for one more full season after that, but decided to give it up because i was too competitive (no!? really?????!!!!!!!!!1) and that was kind of a detriment to my faith journey at the time

I totally understand that last statement. Here's what I discovered about my "competitiveness" when I looked inside.

Father's Day 2017

208 Average? You were dern good! I would probably enjoy having a few games with you!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:00 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

except that i haven't picked up a ball since my last game in my last league in 1998.... i thought about showing up at the knights' night out (or get together or whatever they called it) , but since i had no ball, no shoes and my physical state had deteriorated to the point of being afraid to even make my approach, i decided discretion was the better part of valor and choose not to... besides, what fun would i have being so disappointed i was a shadow of my former self anyway ::): 8-)

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:33 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

faithfulservant wrote:
except that i haven't picked up a ball since my last game in my last league in 1998.... i thought about showing up at the knights' night out (or get together or whatever they called it) , but since i had no ball, no shoes and my physical state had deteriorated to the point of being afraid to even make my approach, i decided discretion was the better part of valor and choose not to... besides, what fun would i have being so disappointed i was a shadow of my former self anyway ::): 8-)

Yeah, I do get that.

Did you read my blog post?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:35 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

as a matter of fact, i did .... sorry you had to undergo that but i guess all the things we go through ultimately make us the people that we are ... though we do get to make the choice how we respond and in which direction we head

De Maria numquam satis