Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: National Bowling Day
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:51 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Today is National Bowling Day. Haven't been bowling since 1991.

Post subject: Re: National Bowling Day
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:01 pm 
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
I haven't been since...oh, maybe 2012? I enjoy bowling greatly, except for the fact that I'm double-jointed and cannot hold onto a bowling ball properly. The balls light enough for me to use have holes that are too small for my fingers, and I can't hold onto the balls with large enough holes - my knuckles just give way. :( I'd get by for a game, maybe a game and a half, then I have no ball control at all and it's no longer fun. Now that the arthritis in my hands has gotten worse in the past couple of years, I'm not even sure I could do that well. *sigh*

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:17 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Went bowling today but I am a youth coach so I go almost every Saturday but I don't always get to bowl when I am there. I have been fighting a nerve problem trying to make a comeback.

I have 4 boys in youth leagues and the coaching the kids get these days is top notch. We even have a USBC Gold certified coach who makes regular trips through Baton Rouge. I have a kid that is very likely to bowl for his HS team this year. They lost a LOT this past season. I just wish that had been an option when I was in HS.

Mark my words, with the rapid growth of HS bowling and the availability of scholarships, especially for women, bowling is making a comeback :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:00 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
i am fortunate enough to have been be a member of two state championship teams... the first when state was held in corpus christi and i was in 9th grade...i had two brothers on the team.... the second was held in austin and our team was made up of members of our high school bowling team and i was a senior...i had twin brothers on the team (one went on to some prominence as a pro bowler, having rolled one of the early 300 games in televised competiton)

as a freshman, i was averaging around 170... as a senior, i had improved to 180... this was before the advent of the different make up of the composition of the balls... in other words, we all threw hard rubber balls

i gave it up during college, maybe going a few times... the one time i took my future wife, she broke a nail and never went again :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard

i picked it up again after college and bowled competitively for the next 24 years, achieving my highest league average of 208 , my highest game of 290 (a ringing ten pin in the first, then 11 in a row) and my highest series of 767... i'm no brother ed, but i wasn't too bad :fyi:

after i converted in '97, i bowled for one more full season after that, but decided to give it up because i was too competitive (no!? really?????!!!!!!!!!1) and that was kind of a detriment to my faith journey at the time

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:53 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: As I understand it.....in God's will. This is the best place to be.
Religion: Byzantine Catholic
Church Affiliations: Past Grand Knight KoC 15107
weunice wrote:
Went bowling today but I am a youth coach so I go almost every Saturday but I don't always get to bowl when I am there. I have been fighting a nerve problem trying to make a comeback.

I have 4 boys in youth leagues and the coaching the kids get these days is top notch. We even have a USBC Gold certified coach who makes regular trips through Baton Rouge. I have a kid that is very likely to bowl for his HS team this year. They lost a LOT this past season. I just wish that had been an option when I was in HS.

Mark my words, with the rapid growth of HS bowling and the availability of scholarships, especially for women, bowling is making a comeback :)

Well, I hope the PBA is doing something, for Pete's sake. I have been bowling since I was 8 and I can remember when you would walk in an alley at 6PM to see if you could get a lane and the counter would tell you that there wouldn't be anything free until 11!

ALL 48 LANES!!!!!

Now...........sheesh, the place is like a ghost town. The PGA and the NFL realized the value of entertainment years ago and began to promote their sports so they could compete with the National Pastime. Bowling.....pfffft....who knows what they were thinking? :nooo:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:57 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

faithfulservant wrote:
i am fortunate enough to have been be a member of two state championship teams... the first when state was held in corpus christi and i was in 9th grade...i had two brothers on the team.... the second was held in austin and our team was made up of members of our high school bowling team and i was a senior...i had twin brothers on the team (one went on to some prominence as a pro bowler, having rolled one of the early 300 games in televised competiton)

as a freshman, i was averaging around 170... as a senior, i had improved to 180... this was before the advent of the different make up of the composition of the balls... in other words, we all threw hard rubber balls

i gave it up during college, maybe going a few times... the one time i took my future wife, she broke a nail and never went again :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard

i picked it up again after college and bowled competitively for the next 24 years, achieving my highest league average of 208 , my highest game of 290 (a ringing ten pin in the first, then 11 in a row) and my highest series of 767... i'm no brother ed, but i wasn't too bad :fyi:

after i converted in '97, i bowled for one more full season after that, but decided to give it up because i was too competitive (no!? really?????!!!!!!!!!1) and that was kind of a detriment to my faith journey at the time

I totally understand that last statement. Here's what I discovered about my "competitiveness" when I looked inside.

Father's Day 2017

208 Average? You were dern good! I would probably enjoy having a few games with you!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:00 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

except that i haven't picked up a ball since my last game in my last league in 1998.... i thought about showing up at the knights' night out (or get together or whatever they called it) , but since i had no ball, no shoes and my physical state had deteriorated to the point of being afraid to even make my approach, i decided discretion was the better part of valor and choose not to... besides, what fun would i have being so disappointed i was a shadow of my former self anyway ::): 8-)

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:33 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

faithfulservant wrote:
except that i haven't picked up a ball since my last game in my last league in 1998.... i thought about showing up at the knights' night out (or get together or whatever they called it) , but since i had no ball, no shoes and my physical state had deteriorated to the point of being afraid to even make my approach, i decided discretion was the better part of valor and choose not to... besides, what fun would i have being so disappointed i was a shadow of my former self anyway ::): 8-)

Yeah, I do get that.

Did you read my blog post?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:35 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

as a matter of fact, i did .... sorry you had to undergo that but i guess all the things we go through ultimately make us the people that we are ... though we do get to make the choice how we respond and in which direction we head

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:48 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Light of the East wrote:
weunice wrote:

Well, I hope the PBA is doing something, for Pete's sake. I have been bowling since I was 8 and I can remember when you would walk in an alley at 6PM to see if you could get a lane and the counter would tell you that there wouldn't be anything free until 11!

ALL 48 LANES!!!!!

Now...........sheesh, the place is like a ghost town. The PGA and the NFL realized the value of entertainment years ago and began to promote their sports so they could compete with the National Pastime. Bowling.....pfffft....who knows what they were thinking? :nooo:
It was better when I was a kid (in the 80's) because houses here were open 24 hours and you could practice before work. In the interim two of the four houses in the Greater Baton Rouge area closed down and one opened up to the south. This matches population shifts, mostly, but we did lose some lanes in the transition. All of the houses locally have full lineage for league nights (M-Th) and my home house has 64 lanes. You cannot get open lanes during the week before 9pm anywhere. Our youth leagues are MUCH better attended than when I was a kid and they are very well run. High school bowling almost exclusively explains the attendance increase. A lot of these schools field teams and initially are desperate to fill spots. Most of the kids have never bowled before but they get hooked quickly. The state HS championship this year was played in the arena that they used for the USBC Queens tournament which was in Baton Rouge this year. They also did the NCAA and Collegiate college tournaments in town and shot the finals for 3 PWBA events while the setup was in place. It was an exciting year for bowling locally and it has raised some interest that I haven't seen in years.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:47 am 

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Houses??? Is that a Louisiana thing? I've always heard buildings containing lanes for bowling referred to as "alleys." As in: "They've got unlimited play for six bucks at the bowling alley on Thursday night."

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:33 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

while i mostly agree with you, i have heard (in the past of course) the bowling alley also referred to as a "house" ... as in, "the traveling league will be at our house this week" ... or "at which house will the tournament be held" ?

speaking of traveling leagues, that was really my most fun and challenging league experience... and the fact that i averaged 190 in that league , i'm more proud than carrying my over 200 average at the same house... we had around a 16 team league (the memory is only slightly foggy...might have been more) in which we visited a different house each week... i think we went as far east as baytown , as far south as alvin, as far west as katy and as far north as conroe, and all points in between ... i know one of the houses in which i bowled in high school )and started out as a bowler once we moved to bellaire has since closed... the house out of which we were based as a team is still in existence ... i think the house where the jr all stars bowled (ultimately) may still be there... it was one of those semi-unique houses in which you had either 24 or 30 lanes on each side of the main concourse

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:50 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Alley is frowned upon by some modern bowling marketing folks because of the negative connotations. It doesnt bug me but I understand the point. The normal oil pattern is often referred to as THS or the "typical house shot". I hear it in that context a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:34 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

so for what kind of equipment did your charges drain dad's bank account ? and what kind of averages do they carry ... from oldest to youngest

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:10 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I am a used ball sale guy, for the most part ... A lot of these league bowlers, especially the staff guys, buy 4-6 of the latest balls for league season and then settle on throwing 2-3 of them and donate them to the used ball sale for the youth so I can get balls used for only 15-20 games for anywhere from $5-$15. Plug. Redrill. Resurface. Then I can get a whole lot more out of them. Occasionally we get new equipment. My two oldest desperately need plastic balls for spares although my 14 yo can flatten it out really well like us old bowlers.

My oldest (16 yo, LH) throws a Hammer Brick. He is a fairly low rev rate guy (for now) so that ball makes the turn when his release doesn't. It works for him. His high game is 224 and he tends to throw 200's in streaks. He averages about 150 these days and if I could get him to practice more he would be closer to 170 right now. If I had to pick a kid to convert a spare, I am going with him right now.
My next kid (14 yo, LH) has a Ebonite Cyclone but his rev rate is higher and that ball is just so predictable. He also has a Hammer Viral Pearl that he has a hard time controlling so he rarely throws it. His high game is 266 and is more prone to get on big strings of strikes than my oldest. He averages the same as his older brother but practices far more regularly and gets on big droughts of missing easy spares.
My daughter doesn't bowl any more (13 yo, RH) but on the off chance she does, she throws a Storm Tropical Storm. She was right at 100 when she quit (at about 11)
My next kid (10 yo, RH) throws a Brunswick Python. He averages about 120.
My youngest bowler is 7 (RH) and throws a good ole T-Zone. He averages about 100.

I haven't bowled in about a year and have taken several breaks. My high average was 204 about 6-7 years ago and I have averaged anywhere from 184-197 the last three leagues I have bowled in the last 3 years. My biggest problem is understanding modern ball motion and a woefully inconsistent release that has developed as I have taken off and aged some. I really need some coaching to smooth out some things in my game. I really believe I am on the verge of a breakthrough with someone looking at my game some.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:06 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

outstanding! good luck with getting your game back on track... i was 46 when i hung 'em up for good... gave away all of my equipment to guys at work just taking up the game

have you ever had the opportunity of bowling in nationals? i think i participated in either 4 or 5 different years... adding to that mixed nationals one time that was held in st pete... that was the farthest i ever drove for a tournament... when nationals were in reno, i flew ... i remember selling 5 of my ripken rookie cards to get some spending money for when i was there... wish i had held on to them and not spent the money 8-)

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:22 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Thanks. Nationals will be back in Baton Rouge in 2025 I believe so for at least one year I won't have to go far. I know a lot of guys that go. I am not in for league this session (unless something changes this week). My nerve issues are rearing their ugly head again. The most flexible league I can get in, oddly enough, is a sport pattern league. It is adult-youth so I can bowl with my kids and it is 18 weeks at a time. They throw long-med-short patterns at them randomly that align with the Junior Gold stuff. They are trying to prepare the kids to bowl on a bigger stage. Meanwhile the adults fight with -30 off their averages in those leagues. I'd likely fare better there as it relates to others. More about shots and less about big strings of strikes.

Last edited by weunice on Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:24 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Does anyone here have a Gold Pin league for their summer league.

Gold Pins are exactly that - pins that are colored gold and instead of weighing 3lb 6oz, they are 3lb 10 oz, which was the standard weight until the ABC changed the weight to 3.6 so that league bowlers could get higher scores from the lightweight pins.

We used to contemptuously call the lighter weight pins "Popcorn Pins" because of the way they fly around. Our local house has a summer Gold Pin League. 13 weeks and lots of fun. Had a tough summer this time. Timing was off and I could only average 197 for the season. :nooo:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:46 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

the only time gold pins were introduced to the rack is when there was some promotion/competition thing going on

gold pin headpin strike would = a bonus of X amount of $$$ ... a rack with the 1-2 pins as gold and a strike (for a lefty) or 1-3 pins that were gold and a strike for a righty = X amount of $$$ .... various leaves with various combos of gold pins and a conversion would = X amount of $$$

that's the only gold pin bowling i've ever heard of :fyi:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:47 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

My parents bowled in a league. That would have been early to mid fifties. I remember their being pin boys that would send the ball back and clear pins by hand.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next