Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 3   [ 56 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Records from the late 40's
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:59 pm 
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
anawim wrote:
kage_ar wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:
anawim wrote:
While I didn't look through all of them (there are over 100), most seem to be Big Bands (Benny Goodman, etc.). I'll have to find a relatively local buyer. The cost of shipping them would be cost prohibitive.

my parents had/have a lot of those...but they were bought in the late 50s and early 60s

anyone remember vaughn meader and his kennedy satire record :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwu8S6Ekx9w

How have I never heard of this!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Because after the assassination, it was retired out of respect.

Speaking of which, my uncle was a successful architect in Manhattan during the early-mid 60's. He commented frequently about seeing a bumper sticker that was common at the time. It read "Eliminate the K-K-K: Jack, Bobby, and Teddy." He also said that those bumper stickers very suddenly disappeared after the JFK assassination. :shock:

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:30 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
GKC wrote:
All weaponry is out of sight, save for the Hubley Champ automatic cap pistol and the Nichols Derringer ditto. Chess sets boxed, pipes in racks and loose completely covering the living room coffee table, no dead critters visible, though there was a dead possum for years under the house. No Confederate regalia, though when very young I had a ANV battle standard, from the local fair. All book shelves lined with knickknacks toys from my childhood, holy cards, art prints, family pics, military memorabilia, pewter figures from LOTR, those little plastic things you used to get out of bubblegum machines for a penny, etc. Walls covered with original and repro art. Boxes of CDs, cassette tapes, DVDs and a few VHS tapes stacked in the fireplace and fighting for floor control with the loosed and the boxed books, in the library.

Also there is some assorted and variegated clutter, here and there.

I think we both qualify for "man-cave", though the little green army men, the cars, boats and planes from my sandbox days, and the nodding head WWII era Donald Duck and such like take away from my sophistication points, in the eyes of some people.

I had it pretty well pegged except for items like the bobble-head Donald Duck. ::): Books are in my rifle cabinet as alas, most firearms are in the safe, as is prudent, except for my main sidearm (S&W M10), and my Colt 1860 Army cap-and-ball revolver with case. I do have the third CSA national flag, the "blood stained banner", properly folded and displayed. With God's grace, she will fly again over Dixie. I failed to mention that one is never more than arm's reach away from a rosary, icon, or other sacramental, as well. Also forgot the falconry equipment and art, about. I have been forced to give up nearly every vice but I refuse to part with my pipes, coffee, or tea. I keep most of my dead critters in my office, "clutter city". The possum would be nice, stuffed and mounted, but I'm not sure it counts if you did not at least run over it yourself. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:37 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Mrs. Timmy wrote:
In honor of Timmy having recently restored and last weekend "test-driving" my dad's Kirsten Mariner (which hadn't been smoked in a good half-century):

Nice! Bit modern/exotic. :) Speaking of collector's items, as I am able to enjoy my pipes again, I happen to be online looking for my favorite tobacco blend and realized what pipes are worth these days. Not even originally, high end pipes. Just middle of the rode Jobeys, Petersons, etc. I was shocked how much they go for now. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:42 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Mrs. Timmy wrote:
We did, and we loved it. Timmy couldn't get over how he only had to light the bowl once - his church wardens and his "Gandalf" pipe usually have to be lit 3-4 times before all of the tobacco is smoked. I didn't pay attention to which tobacco he put in it - I think it was his Cavendish, but he also has 3-4 "Middle-Earth"-inspired blends (he's particularly fond of "Old Toby"). Regardless, it was an easy draw. Timmy kept saying over and over how wise my dad was to have chosen the Kirsten Mariner, and to have kept it, even decades after he'd quit smoking.

Even good pipes each have their own temperament. Each one of mine smokes a bit differently but with good tobacco and experience, one should never have to light them more than once. Btw, I generally stick with my favorite blend of gold & black Cavendish with just a touch of vanilla, (more for the non-pipe smokers who I may encounter. They like the vanilla. :) )

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:46 pm 

Desertfalcon wrote:
Mrs. Timmy wrote:
In honor of Timmy having recently restored and last weekend "test-driving" my dad's Kirsten Mariner (which hadn't been smoked in a good half-century):

Nice! Bit modern/exotic. :) Speaking of collector's items, as I am able to enjoy my pipes again, I happen to be online looking for my favorite tobacco blend and realized what pipes are worth these days. Not even originally, high end pipes. Just middle of the rode Jobeys, Petersons, etc. I was shocked how much they go for now. :shock:

Timmy did quite a bit of research in the restoration process. He learned that the Kirsten was developed after the inventor was advised to give up pipe smoking in the mid-late 1930's. He created the signature stem to allow the smoke to cool before reaching the mouth, which was thought to remove the smoke's harsh effects.

The Kirsten pipe was revolutionary for its time (state-of-the-art, really) and is still a mid-century modern attention-getter today. It has a small but loyal band of devotees, and Kirsten still makes and sells several models, including the Mariner that my dad bought for $10 in 1945 - only it sells for $139 today.

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:04 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Desertfalcon wrote:
GKC wrote:
All weaponry is out of sight, save for the Hubley Champ automatic cap pistol and the Nichols Derringer ditto. Chess sets boxed, pipes in racks and loose completely covering the living room coffee table, no dead critters visible, though there was a dead possum for years under the house. No Confederate regalia, though when very young I had a ANV battle standard, from the local fair. All book shelves lined with knickknacks toys from my childhood, holy cards, art prints, family pics, military memorabilia, pewter figures from LOTR, those little plastic things you used to get out of bubblegum machines for a penny, etc. Walls covered with original and repro art. Boxes of CDs, cassette tapes, DVDs and a few VHS tapes stacked in the fireplace and fighting for floor control with the loosed and the boxed books, in the library.

Also there is some assorted and variegated clutter, here and there.

I think we both qualify for "man-cave", though the little green army men, the cars, boats and planes from my sandbox days, and the nodding head WWII era Donald Duck and such like take away from my sophistication points, in the eyes of some people.

I had it pretty well pegged except for items like the bobble-head Donald Duck. ::): Books are in my rifle cabinet as alas, most firearms are in the safe, as is prudent, except for my main sidearm (S&W M10), and my Colt 1860 Army cap-and-ball revolver with case. I do have the third CSA national flag, the "blood stained banner", properly folded and displayed. With God's grace, she will fly again over Dixie. I failed to mention that one is never more than arm's reach away from a rosary, icon, or other sacramental, as well. Also forgot the falconry equipment and art, about. I have been forced to give up nearly every vice but I refuse to part with my pipes, coffee, or tea. I keep most of my dead critters in my office, "clutter city". The possum would be nice, stuffed and mounted, but I'm not sure it counts if you did not at least run over it yourself. :)

He was a volunteer, that was regularly reported by the termite inspectors over the years, until one of them removed the mummy. I never told my wife.

It would take a stretch to reach one, from some places, but there are 4 rosaries, including one I have owned, literally, since I was born. It is an infant's one, housed in a metal case the size of a nickel, given to me by a neighbor of my mother's, when I was born. I never found out what my Southern Baptist mother thought of it. Plus 2 statues of St. Francis, two of the BVM, an icon or two, and four crucifixes.

Securing the weapons a good idea, as we all know. And then I failed to mention that there are roughly 30 small figures of turtles, and a like number of figures of elephants. There are particular reasons for this.

And, of course, other bits of clutter and memories.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:15 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Desertfalcon wrote:
Mrs. Timmy wrote:
We did, and we loved it. Timmy couldn't get over how he only had to light the bowl once - his church wardens and his "Gandalf" pipe usually have to be lit 3-4 times before all of the tobacco is smoked. I didn't pay attention to which tobacco he put in it - I think it was his Cavendish, but he also has 3-4 "Middle-Earth"-inspired blends (he's particularly fond of "Old Toby"). Regardless, it was an easy draw. Timmy kept saying over and over how wise my dad was to have chosen the Kirsten Mariner, and to have kept it, even decades after he'd quit smoking.

Even good pipes each have their own temperament. Each one of mine smokes a bit differently but with good tobacco and experience, one should never have to light them more than once. Btw, I generally stick with my favorite blend of gold & black Cavendish with just a touch of vanilla, (more for the non-pipe smokers who I may encounter. They like the vanilla. :) )

After 30 years of smoking (over the 50 years since starting; took a vacation) I still light my pipes a couple of times in a bowlful. I am a careless smoker who is not a fanatic about the proprieties. But I do need a couple of bowls a day. Outside. In the snow, if necessary. Or the rain, if it's not blowing under my little smoking porch.

Pipes are a frustration to me. I have many left, from my older days, but the hiatus from the habit (20 years) I took left a number of them to crack and dry. And I am a heavy chewer. I find most pipes I can afford these days to be not satisfactory, and am unwilling to upgrade beyond what I normally used in my early days (drug store pipes). SO my pipes are sort of like if I bought only pb books. Serviceable, mostly, but not anything to brag about.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:58 am 

Well so far I've contacted 2 places: One specializes in Jazz & Blues, and the other will only take them if they had a jacket. Since they weren't purchased retail, they all have just the paper sleeve.

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:06 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

anawim wrote:
Well so far I've contacted 2 places: One specializes in Jazz & Blues, and the other will only take them if they had a jacket. Since they weren't purchased retail, they all have just the paper sleeve.

More book analogy, then. The dust jacket on the book is analogous to the cardboard jacket of a LP. And that is a significant portion of the value as a collectible. That's a hit. Condition is not as desired.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:35 pm 

anawim, would you like me to make a post on the OTR pages that I follow? Perhaps an aficionado there can provide a lead. I'd be sure to specify that paying for shipping is not on the table.

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:28 pm 

Mrs. Timmy wrote:
anawim, would you like me to make a post on the OTR pages that I follow? Perhaps an aficionado there can provide a lead. I'd be sure to specify that paying for shipping is not on the table.

What's OTR? :scratch:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:56 pm 

Old Time Radio. Fans of shows from radio's Golden Age (early 1930's - ca. 1960), as well as the music of that era.

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:55 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Mrs. Timmy wrote:
Old Time Radio. Fans of shows from radio's Golden Age (early 1930's - ca. 1960), as well as the music of that era.

Hi, there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9J5Zt2Obko

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:56 pm 

Mrs. Timmy wrote:

Yes, if you can make an inquiry, that would be great. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:57 pm 

GKC wrote:
Mrs. Timmy wrote:

Hi, there.

Great one! That's part of my iTunes list.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:46 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

anawim wrote:
GKC wrote:
Mrs. Timmy wrote:

Hi, there.

Great one! That's part of my iTunes list.

Though in my OTR hobby I rarely focus on music, I am a big big band fan

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 3   [ 56 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3