Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 40 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Did Martin Luther break a vow of celibacy
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:06 pm 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Religion: Catholic
Does anyone know if Martin Luther would have taken a vow of celibacy when he became a monk? If so, any idea on what the words of the vow would have been?

"The more we honor the Blessed Virgin, the more we honor Jesus Christ, because we honor Mary only that we may the more perfectly honor Jesus, since we go to her only as the way by which we are to find the end we are seeking, which is Jesus."

-St. Louis De Montfort

Post subject: Re: Did Martin Luther break a vow of celibacy
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:11 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Of course, how could you possibly be a monk without taking a vow of celibacy? Being celibate is practically the definition of the word monk.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:14 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Yes, he took one. Yes, he broke it. No, there's no way there was weasel room in the wording for him to get away with it.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:44 pm 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Okay well I thought so but I wanted to make sure because I have been floating it around in arguments about him leaving the Catholic Church.

"The more we honor the Blessed Virgin, the more we honor Jesus Christ, because we honor Mary only that we may the more perfectly honor Jesus, since we go to her only as the way by which we are to find the end we are seeking, which is Jesus."

-St. Louis De Montfort

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:36 am 
Tazer Queen
Tazer Queen

Obi-Wan Kenobi [bot] wrote:
Yes, he took one. Yes, he broke it. No, there's no way there was weasel room in the wording for him to get away with it.

I did not realize he broke it. When did he do that?
--Ann

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:43 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

When he married a former nun.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:27 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Getting married became almost required for Lutheran ministers in the Nordic countries. At least in Denmark-Norway. Apparently, an incoming incumbent (I hope that is still English) often inherited his late predecessor's wife and family because that was really the easiest way of resolving the matter of what to do with them.

'The only cure for sagging or fainting faith is Communion.... Like the act of Faith it must be continuous and grow by exercise. Frequency is of the highest effect. Seven times a week is more nourishing than seven times at intervals.'
J.R.R. Tolkien

Blasé member of PPPA

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:44 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Quote:
incoming incumbent
A bit of an oxymoron.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:47 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Quote:
incoming incumbent
A bit of an oxymoron.

Well....it's oxymenglish...

'The only cure for sagging or fainting faith is Communion.... Like the act of Faith it must be continuous and grow by exercise. Frequency is of the highest effect. Seven times a week is more nourishing than seven times at intervals.'
J.R.R. Tolkien

Blasé member of PPPA

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:01 am 
Tazer Queen
Tazer Queen

When he married a former nun.

Ah. Just goes to show how much I know about Luther.
--Ann

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:46 am 
King of Cool

CCB,

I don't really see the point of bringing this fact up in apologetics discussions with Protestant. No one who admires Luther is going to think of his breaking his vows as a bad thing.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:16 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Just Plain Doom wrote:
CCB,

I don't really see the point of bringing this fact up in apologetics discussions with Protestant. No one who admires Luther is going to think of his breaking his vows as a bad thing.

What, some kind of early form of "lying for Jesus"? Why wouldn't an honest Protestant hope to see a man fulfill even what he considers to be a stupid or bad vow made to God?

“All serious and upright human conduct is hope in action.” — Pope Benedict XVI

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:27 pm 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Just Plain Doom wrote:
CCB,

I disagree. It casts doubt on his genuineness in reforming Christianity. Especially in light that St. Paul's teachings on celibacy.

-St. Louis De Montfort

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:33 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: disillusioned
CCB wrote:
Just Plain Doom wrote:
CCB,

I disagree. It casts doubt on his genuineness in reforming Christianity. Especially in light that St. Paul's teachings on celibacy.

Most Protestants won't see it that way. Most Protestant sects teach (at least on some level) that "denying" priests and monastics the "right" to marry is a sign of the Catholic Church being a false religion. So Martin Luther seeing that "error" and breaking an anti-scriptural vow is a good thing, in their viewpoint.

Even though my life is falling apart at the seams ... I find comfort in the fact that I'm not a stripper.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:36 pm 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Those wouldn't be people sincerely looking for the truth. Their ignorance is between them and God.

-St. Louis De Montfort

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:46 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

CCB wrote:
Those wouldn't be people sincerely looking for the truth. Their ignorance is between them and God.

I'm just sayin'. If you want to reach people and get them to really re-think the Protestant Reformation, its ramifications and their Protestant affiliations there are better places to start then with the relatively unimportant (theologically speaking) issue of Martin Luther and his vow of celibacy.

As for people not "sincerely looking for the truth." I think you should consider that a lifetime of conditioning to believe one thing rather than another is not easily undone. They may not know that there is a truth they should be seeking. Hitting them with something they are likely to find to be a non-issue (at best) or a cause for praise (at worst) is unlikely to be an effective apologetics approach.

Even though my life is falling apart at the seams ... I find comfort in the fact that I'm not a stripper.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:53 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Consider it from this viewpoint: In Catholic moral theology, a vow contrary to the law of God is not and cannot be binding. If you consider a vow of celibacy to be immoral, then it's not going to bother you that Luther broke his, and many Protestants consider such vows to be immoral.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:57 pm 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

I understand that. However, they will have difficulty proving a vow of celibacy is immoral considering St. Paul taught it was superior than the married life.

Also, this is why I am not bringing up breaking a vow of obedience. Obviously would could break a vow of obedience to a corrupt organization.

-St. Louis De Montfort

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:02 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Another view point is that he didn't marry (and thus break his vow of celibacy) until after he formally and materially separated from the Church. Once he left the Church all bets were off, so-to-speak. Why would he continue to honour a vow he made to a Church that he irrevocably broke with? From their point of view there A) wasn't a legitimate vow made since the vow is contrary to their interpretation of Scripture B) he broke with the Church (rightly in their view) so the vow was no longer binding even if it had been legitimate.

As a former Lutheran, I just don't see you getting anywhere or making any inroads with a Protestant along this line of argument when there are much better discussions to be had.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:15 pm 
King of Cool

Consider it from this viewpoint: In Catholic moral theology, a vow contrary to the law of God is not and cannot be binding. If you consider a vow of celibacy to be immoral, then it's not going to bother you that Luther broke his, and many Protestants consider such vows to be immoral.

Exactly. They see celibacy as a moral evil, and therefore a promise to commit a moral evil is not binding. To them, it would be a little bit like arguing that it is wrong to not fulfill a promise to commit genocide.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 40 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next