Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How do you define "Jesus"?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:17 am 

When Jesus said:
Quote:
I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No man cometh to the Father, but by me
He was physically present on this earth.

But now that He is no longer physically here on this earth, how do you define "Jesus"?

What's the difference between "Jesus" and "God" whom Hindus, Jews, Muslims, Sikhs, New Age believers, etc, believe in?

If a Hindu or Jew or Muslim or Sikh or New Age believer prays to God, asks God to save him, how is that different from praying to Jesus?

Could God really be so dreadfully fussy as to condemn someone to suffer eternal torture just because that person addresses his prayers to his Creator, to God the Father, or to God the Holy Spirit, rather than very specifically to God the Son?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:26 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Why do you think this would make God 'dreadfully fussy'? I wonder why He was so 'dreadfully fussy' about becoming a man to actually suffer and die for Us?

How about if I pray to Zeus or Vishnu or Mother Earth? Are these the same thing as praying to Jesus (who is God and is in no way separate from God). Prayers to God the Father, God the Son, of God the Holy Spirit are all prayers to the ONE God.

God can do whatever He likes. I can't for the life of me see why that means we can ignore what He has done for Us (the Incarnation, Crucifixion, Resurrection) because we want 'God' to fit a different picture for us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:43 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: TOC, KofC
Why should I 'define' Jesus? How could I 'define' Jesus?

Can I 'define' Torn and make Torn whom I wish Torn to be?

Jesus isn't definable because Jesus is a person who IS. Not an opinion to be discussed and decided upon.

"Fussy" -- like those nasty people who insist that truth really exists or those troublesome people who say 2+2=4.

"For Tolkein, Catholicism was not an opinion to which one subscribed but a reality to which one submitted." J. Pearce in Tolkein: Man and Myth - So I guess I'm in good company.

Post subject: Re: How do you define "Jesus"?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:39 am 
Master
Master

torn wrote:
Could God really be so dreadfully fussy as to condemn someone to suffer eternal torture just because that person addresses his prayers to his Creator, to God the Father, or to God the Holy Spirit, rather than very specifically to God the Son?

Actually, many Christians don't pray to Jesus. Jesus said, "Pray, then, in this way: 'Our Father...' " (Mt 6:9). (I don't represent Catholicism...I'm a so-called "protestant" and am trying to figure Catholicism out right now.)

We now have access to God the Father because we're righteous via Jesus' shed blood for our sin. Jesus was God's sacrificial Lamb to be slain for sin. If you're like me and think you have sins to be dealt with, I'd take a further look at Jesus and what He did. I believe that without Jesus's death, God wouldn't have anything to do with me.

"For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus."

- Philippians 1:6

Last edited by Robert on Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.