Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 5   [ 86 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:38 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:26 am
Posts: 6067
Location: Illinois
Religion: Catholic
swaglantern wrote:
So was it bethany or Jerasulem or did it not happen?


You didnt say "Bethany OR Jerusalem." You said "Near Jerusalem" or Bethany. And since Bethany is near Jerusalem you point is not one.

_________________
O love that fires the sun
Keep me burning


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:42 pm 
Offline
**********
**********

Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:46 pm
Posts: 591
The number of people hanging around a tomb isn't very important. And I don't see how it has any bearing on the basic principles of Christian belief. If different authors give varying accounts, and the variance is minor, we usually don't pay much attention. This is exactly what we would expect from different accounts.

However, many folks say God is the author of the scriptures, God inspired the authors, or God worked through the authors. Some demand we accept the Genesis version of creation because it is written by God.

So, it's reasonable to ask how God could have given different accounts of the same event. And if he did give different versions, then it is reasonable to ask exactly what was the relationship between God and the authors.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:42 pm 
Offline
**********
**********

Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:10 pm
Posts: 857
Very interesting and funny read below.....I assume that you guys feel that the bible is without error obviously ......maybe we can discuss some BIGGER IDEAS than just text....how about the idea of love and justice as it relates to your God...and the philosophical contradictions that entail?

http://www.ntrmin.org/ChallengeAnswer4.htm

_________________
And now I see the face of God, and I raise this God over the earth, this God whom men have sought since men came into being, this God who will grant them joy and peace and pride.
This God, this one word:

"I."

Ayn Rand, Anthem


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:44 pm 
Offline
Huckleberry
Huckleberry
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:48 pm
Posts: 14677
Location: The Bright, Sunny South
Religion: Catholic
swaglantern wrote:
Very interesting and funny read below.....I assume that you guys feel that the bible is without error obviously ......maybe we can discuss some BIGGER IDEAS than just text....how about the idea of love and justice as it relates to your God...and the philosophical contradictions that entail?

http://www.ntrmin.org/ChallengeAnswer4.htm



The purpose of this thread is to examine specific apparent contradictions or discrepencies in the Bible. For any other topics, start a new thread.

_________________
"Spread love everywhere you go."
- Bl. Mother Teresa


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:46 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:40 am
Posts: 8521
Location: Tennessee
Religion: Catholic
swaglantern wrote:
Very interesting and funny read below.....I assume that you guys feel that the bible is without error obviously ......maybe we can discuss some BIGGER IDEAS than just text....how about the idea of love and justice as it relates to your God...and the philosophical contradictions that entail?

http://www.ntrmin.org/ChallengeAnswer4.htm


Just fyi, you really need to start separating things better. Although an article/link on another website might be of some interest, ntrmin is certainly not an accurate representation of Christianity.

Have you looked at the CCC reference or any others on what 'biblical inerrancy' is and what it entails? Sure, ti would be nice to get to bigger issues, how about conceeding that there are no contradictions first (or do we have to individually answer each and every one of your 'contradictions'?).

FWIW, there is no philosophical problem with divine mercy and justice.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:58 pm 
Offline
**********
**********

Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:10 pm
Posts: 857
I specifically listed a few textual discrepancies and contradictions. I got a lot of different answers...none of which truly hold up in my opinion.

If we happen to get together and experience something as incredible as the resurrection....and I write that I saw an angel....another one of us writes that they say a man...another writes that they saw two men!......then we have some serious issues if you ask me......were talking about something profound here.

It would be like a group of people witnessing the 9/11 attacks and some of them saying...no, no, no ....it was actually a blimp and a helicopter that struck the towers!......Cmon this is an earth shattering event....not some dude changing brakes in the driveway.......... actually each of the 5 accounts differ in MANY different ways....too many..... the devout claim the bible is inerrant...but this flies in the face of evidence......

_________________
And now I see the face of God, and I raise this God over the earth, this God whom men have sought since men came into being, this God who will grant them joy and peace and pride.
This God, this one word:

"I."

Ayn Rand, Anthem


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:58 pm 
Offline
Adept
Adept
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 11:00 am
Posts: 4668
Location: Diocese of Peoria, Illinois
Religion: Catholic
Yeah, that NTRMIN piece is pretty funny, though not in the way the author intended it -- he tries to suggest that the Catholic Church doesn't teach that the Bible is inerrant by quoting one Catholic saying one thing and another Catholic saying another. You don't find out what the Church teaches by asking the opinions of Catholics -- you do it by reading Church documents, and those documents say that the Bible teaches the truth inerrantly. That means, if the Church is right, that the Bible contains no factual or historical contradictions. So far you haven't shown us a single one. You've been lobbing us softballs. Why don't you try something from Genesis -- maybe those "contradictions" will prove more challenging for us?

_________________
I praise Thee for all things, I bless Thee, I glorify Thee, with the everlasting and heavenly Jesus Christ, Thy beloved Son, with whom, to Thee, and the Holy Spirit, be glory both now and to all coming ages. Amen. -- St. Polycarp's prayer of thanksgiving at his martyrdom, 156 A.D.

Baby No. 8 is on the way!

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:03 pm 
Offline
**********
**********

Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:10 pm
Posts: 857
Ok....a quick one from genesis off the top of my head......If I remember correctly there is plant life before there is a sun.........photosynthesis anyone? .....I suppose that this is all part of the "supernatural process" though right?

_________________
And now I see the face of God, and I raise this God over the earth, this God whom men have sought since men came into being, this God who will grant them joy and peace and pride.
This God, this one word:

"I."

Ayn Rand, Anthem


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:07 pm 
Offline
King of Cool
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 1:30 pm
Posts: 76053
Religion: Anticukite Catholic
swaglantern wrote:
IIf we happen to get together and experience something as incredible as the resurrection....and I write that I saw an angel....another one of us writes that they say a man...another writes that they saw two men!......then we have some serious issues if you ask me......were talking about something profound here.



So, unless two or more witnesses say exactly the same thing in exactly the same words, then one or more of them is lying? But doesn't exact word for word correspondence of testimony imply conspiracy?



Quote:
It would be like a group of people witnessing the 9/11 attacks and some of them saying...no, no, no ....it was actually a blimp and a helicopter that struck the towers!......



No it is more like one person saying 'Mohammed Atta was a Muslim' another one saying 'Mohammed Atta was an Arab' and a third one say 'Mohammed Atta was from the Saudi kingdom' by your logic, since they didn't all three say the exact same thing in the exact same words, they are not trustworthy.
The problem with your argument is that exclude humanity from the equation, you account for everything except for ordinary human behavior and psychology. To you, the gospel authors are not human beings, they are mere machines, taking dictation, in a God like fashion, with their humanity having no influence whatever on the process.

_________________
Excelsior!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:08 pm 
Offline
King of Cool
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 1:30 pm
Posts: 76053
Religion: Anticukite Catholic
edited by mod

_________________
Excelsior!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:12 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:40 am
Posts: 8521
Location: Tennessee
Religion: Catholic
swaglantern wrote:
I specifically listed a few textual discrepancies and contradictions. I got a lot of different answers...none of which truly hold up in my opinion.


You're not being very honest with yourself here. You are the one who claimed contradiction. In none of the cases have you 'exposed' any contradiction whatsoever. And on top of that, you have been given plenty of options to get out of the self-perceived mess into which you have gotten.

Quote:
If we happen to get together and experience something as incredible as the resurrection....and I write that I saw an angel....another one of us writes that they say a man...another writes that they saw two men!......then we have some serious issues if you ask me......were talking about something profound here.


If we happen to get together and experience something as incredible as the Resurrection, how much attention would you personally be paying to the number of angels present (or the number of trees, or the color of the rocks, etc.)? I honestly can't imagine a whole lot.

Quote:
It would be like a group of people witnessing the 9/11 attacks and some of them saying...no, no, no ....it was actually a blimp and a helicopter that struck the towers!......Cmon this is an earth shattering event....not some dude changing brakes in the driveway


Yes, but what you are paying attention to is not the central theme. A better analogy for you would be some people saying, 'the color of the tail fin on the plane was orange' while another said, 'no, no, the color on the tail fin of the plane was red'.

Quote:
actually each of the 5 accounts differ in MANY different ways....too many.....


How about you list some of those - and remember, they need to be contradictions, not merely differences. HOpefully by now, it is painfully obvious to you how and why there might be differences that are not contradictions.

Quote:
the devout claim the bible is inerrant...but this flies in the face of evidence......


Again, you have provided no evidence to suggest otherwise. When will we get the 'evidence'?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:13 pm 
Offline
**********
**********

Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:10 pm
Posts: 857
Your contradicting the bible and your own faith.....how many passages does it say these words are inspired by God, without reproof, guided by the holy spirit etc...etc.......Oh yes they are "dictating in a godlike fashion"...it's written in your book bud....none of the rest of your logic holds up Doom....you're comparing the confusing of a supernatural being with a mere man - to an arab from a muslim? Try again.

Doom wrote:
swaglantern wrote:
IIf we happen to get together and experience something as incredible as the resurrection....and I write that I saw an angel....another one of us writes that they say a man...another writes that they saw two men!......then we have some serious issues if you ask me......were talking about something profound here.



So, unless two or more witnesses say exactly the same thing in exactly the same words, then one or more of them is lying? But doesn't exact word for word correspondence of testimony imply conspiracy?



Quote:
It would be like a group of people witnessing the 9/11 attacks and some of them saying...no, no, no ....it was actually a blimp and a helicopter that struck the towers!......



No it is more like one person saying 'Mohammed Atta was a Muslim' another one saying 'Mohammed Atta was an Arab' and a third one say 'Mohammed Atta was from the Saudi kingdom' by your logic, since they didn't all three say the exact same thing in the exact same words, they are not trustworthy.
The problem with your argument is that exclude humanity from the equation, you account for everything except for ordinary human behavior and psychology. To you, the gospel authors are not human beings, they are mere machines, taking dictation, in a God like fashion, with their humanity having no influence whatever on the process.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:13 pm 
Offline
Adept
Adept
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 11:00 am
Posts: 4668
Location: Diocese of Peoria, Illinois
Religion: Catholic
Quote:
Ok....a quick one from genesis off the top of my head......If I remember correctly there is plant life before there is a sun.........photosynthesis anyone? .....I suppose that this is all part of the "supernatural process" though right?


Ah yes, that is a good one -- though it's not a contradiction between one verse and another verse, but a statement that does not agree with what modern science claims to be true. There are a few possible approaches to this difficulty:

1) The text is to be taken in a strictly literal sense, with plants formed only about 12 hours before the sun is formed. In that case, there's no problem with plants existing for half a day without sunlight.

2) The text of Genesis describes, not the creation of the sun, but the assigning of the sun for the marking of time. In this approach, the sun already existed before the creation of plant life, so that Gen. 1:16 should be rendered, "God HAD MADE two great lights." That translation is acceptable based on the rules of Hebrew, but it does not seem to fit the prima facie meaning of Gen. 1.

3) The story of Creation in Gen. 1 partakes of metaphor and allegory, so that the seven days of Creation Week are not literal days, but may have been a poetic way to describe creative acts that were in fact simultaneous.

4) God preserved the plant life He had made so that it would not die until He had formed the sun.

There could be other possible solutions, but those should do for starters.

_________________
I praise Thee for all things, I bless Thee, I glorify Thee, with the everlasting and heavenly Jesus Christ, Thy beloved Son, with whom, to Thee, and the Holy Spirit, be glory both now and to all coming ages. Amen. -- St. Polycarp's prayer of thanksgiving at his martyrdom, 156 A.D.

Baby No. 8 is on the way!

Image


Last edited by Polycarp on Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:14 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:40 am
Posts: 8521
Location: Tennessee
Religion: Catholic
swaglantern wrote:
Ok....a quick one from genesis off the top of my head......If I remember correctly there is plant life before there is a sun.........photosynthesis anyone? .....I suppose that this is all part of the "supernatural process" though right?


Hey look! You are getting somewhere. At least you have offered a suggestion as to why - if you even remember correctly - there could be plant life before the sun (it would be helpful to all involved (and you particularly) if you could cite actual teaching presented by the Church (Bible or otherwise).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:20 pm 
Offline
**********
**********

Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:46 pm
Posts: 591
edited by mod


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:20 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:40 am
Posts: 8521
Location: Tennessee
Religion: Catholic
swaglantern wrote:
Your contradicting the bible and your own faith.....how many passages does it say these words are inspired by God, without reproof, guided by the holy spirit etc...etc.......Oh yes they are "dictating in a godlike fashion"...it's written in your book bud....none of the rest of your logic holds up Doom....you're comparing the confusing of a supernatural being with a mere man - to an arab from a muslim? Try again.


swag, I'm beginning to think that you really do have no idea of what a 'contradication' is. Where was/is the contradiction? What Bible verses are you even talking about (yes, go look them up and provide them to be addressed)? And finally, please even begin to suggest a place where anyone's logic in this thread hasn't 'held up' - particularly Doom's.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:25 pm 
Offline
King of Cool
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 1:30 pm
Posts: 76053
Religion: Anticukite Catholic
swaglantern wrote:
Your contradicting the bible and your own faith.....how many passages does it say these words are inspired by God, without reproof, guided by the holy spirit etc...etc.......Oh yes they are "dictating in a godlike fashion"...it's written in your book bud....none of the rest of your logic holds up Doom....you're comparing the confusing of a supernatural being with a mere man - to an arab from a muslim? Try again.


You need to learn to know your audience, none of us here, nor any Catholic in history believes, or ever has ever believed, that the scriptures are merely a 'machine like dictation in a godlike fashion', you are just making that up off the top of your head. Your problem, if I dare say so, is that you think you have us all figured out, you think you know us so well, therefore you are not interacting with us, but with the picture of us that you have built up inside your head. You think to yourself

'Catholics are Christians, and Christians are morons, therefore, these people I am dealing with are morons, the kind of people who stare for hours at a carton of orange juice because it says 'concentrate' on it. Therefore, I am going to argue with them like they are 3 years old, and all I have to do is show them my glory, and they will cower in fear.'

But guess what? We are not morons, we don't stare for hours at cartons of orange juice because they say 'concentrate' on them, and we have the intellectual capacity of an adult, not a 3 year old, and you are going to have to learn how to deal with this.
Contrary to what you think, I am not an idiot , I am actually a highly educated, and dare I say intelligent person, I am presently earning a Phd in mathematics, so I am no idiot. Neither is anybody here. Deal with it.


You are so busy dancing around singing 'I am so smart, I am so smart, S-M-R-T, I mean S-M-A-R-T' that you can't see we are running rings around you. First rule of surviving this message board is, learn to adapt to the fact that we are not a bunch of brain dead hicks, we are not a bunch of snake handling obscurantists. So stop treating us like we are. We are actually very intelligent, and well educated people here, so stop acting like you know more than us: you don't. In short, learn some humility.

_________________
Excelsior!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:28 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 9:23 am
Posts: 19259
Location: NYC area
Religion: Catholic
swaglantern wrote:
I specifically listed a few textual discrepancies and contradictions. I got a lot of different answers...none of which truly hold up in my opinion.

If we happen to get together and experience something as incredible as the resurrection....and I write that I saw an angel....another one of us writes that they say a man...another writes that they saw two men!......then we have some serious issues if you ask me......were talking about something profound here.

It would be like a group of people witnessing the 9/11 attacks and some of them saying...no, no, no ....it was actually a blimp and a helicopter that struck the towers!......Cmon this is an earth shattering event....not some dude changing brakes in the driveway.......... actually each of the 5 accounts differ in MANY different ways....too many..... the devout claim the bible is inerrant...but this flies in the face of evidence......


A policeman friend told me that he knows when multiple suspects are lying: when they all tell the exact same story without any variations.

_________________
A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:35 pm 
Offline
**********
**********

Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:10 pm
Posts: 857
I swiped this in part because I don't have time to hash out and remember everything from the bible I read, and also because this is what I would have written if I had the time at work anyway......I actually would appreciate a rebuttal to these.....good stuff guys.


It is a central dogma of all fundamental Christians that the Bible is without error. They teach this conclusion by "reasoning" that God cannot be the author of false meaning and he cannot lie. Is this true? If written by a perfect being, then it must not contradict itself, as a collection of books written by different men at different times over many centuries would be expected to contradict each other.

With this in mind, let us have a look at the Bible on several subjects.





ON THE SABBATH DAY
"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy." -- Exodus 20:8

"One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind." -- Romans 14:5




ON THE PERMANENCY OF THE EARTH
"... the earth abideth for ever." -- Ecclesiastes 1:4

"... the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up." -- 2Peter 3:10




ON SEEING God
"... I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved." -- Genesis 32:30

"No man hath seen God at any time..."-- John 1:18




ON HUMAN SACRIFICE
"... Thou shalt not let any of thy seed pass through the fire to Molech, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God..." -- Leviticus 18:21

[In Judges, though, the tale of Jephthah, who led the Israelites against the Ammonoites, is being told. Being fearful of defeat, this good religious man sought to guarantee victory by getting God firmly on his side. So he prayed to God] "... If thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands, Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the LORD's, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering" (Judges 11:30-31).

[The terms were acceptable to God -- remember, he is supposed to be omniscient and know the future -- so he gave victory to Jephthah, and the first whatsoever that greeted him upon his glorious return was his daughter, as God surely knew would happen, if God is God. True to his vow, the general made a human sacrifice of his only child to God!] -- Judges 11:29-34




ON THE POWER OF God
"... with God all things are possible." -- Matthew 19:26

"...The LORD was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron." -- Judges 1:19




ON DEALING WITH PERSONAL INJURY
"...thou shalt give life for life, Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot. burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe. " -- Exodus 21:23-25

"...ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on the right cheek, turn to him the other also." -- Matthew 5:39




ON CIRCUMCISION
"This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised." -- Genesis 17:10

"...if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing." -- Galatians 5:2




ON INCEST
"Cursed be he that lieth with his sister, the daughter of his father, or the daughter of this mother..." -- Deuteronomy 27:22

"And if a man shall take his sister, his father's daughter, or his mother's daughter...it is a wicked thing...." -- Leviticus 20:17

[But what was God's reaction to Abraham, who married his sister -- his father's daughter?] See Genesis 20:11-12

"And God said unto Abraham, As for Sara thy wife...I bless her, and give thee a son also of her..." -- Genesis 17:15-16




ON TRUSTING God
"A good man obtaineth favour of the LORD..." -- Proverbs 12:2

Now consider the case of Job. After commissioning Satan to ruin Job financially and to slaughter his shepherds and children to win a petty bet with Satan. God asked Satan: "Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? and still he holdeth fast his integrity, although thou movedst me against him, to destroy him without cause." -- Job 2:3




ON THE HOLY LIFE-STYLE
"Go thy way, eat thy bread with joy, and drink thy wine with a merry heart..." -- Ecclesiastes 9:7

"...they that rejoice, as though they rejoiced not..." -- 1 Corinthians 7:30




ON PUNISHING CRIME
"The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father..." -- Ezekiel 18:20

"I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation..." -- Exodus 20:5




ON TEMPTATION
"Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man." -- James 1:13

"And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham..." -- Genesis 22:1




ON FAMILY RELATIONSHIPS
"Honor thy father and thy mother..."-- Exodus 20:12

"If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. " -- Luke 14:26




ON RESURRECTION OF THE DEAD
"...he that goeth down to the grave shall come up no more. " -- Job 7:9

"...the hour is coming, in which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, and shall come forth...." -- John 5:28-29




ON THE END OF THE WORLD
"Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom. " -- Matthew 16:28

"Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled. Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away. " -- Luke 21:32-33

"And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed. The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light." -- Romans 13:11-12

"Be ye also patient; establish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh." -- James 5:8

"Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time." -- 1 John 2:18

"But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer." -- 1 Peter 4:7

These words were written between 1800 and 1900 years ago and were meant to warn and prepare the first Christians for the immediate end of the world. Some words are those supposedly straight out of the mouth of the "Son of God." The world did not end 1800 or 1900 years ago. All that generation passed away without any of the things foretold coming to pass. No amount of prayer brought it about; nor ever so much patience and belief and sober living. The world went on, as usual, indifferent to the spoutings of yet another batch of doomsday prophets with visions of messiahs dancing in their deluded brains. The world, by surviving, makes the above passages contradictions.




CONCLUSION
What is incredible about the Bible is not its divine authorship; it's that such a concoction of contradictory nonsense could be believed by anyone to have been written by an omniscient God. To do so, one would first have to not read the book, which is the practice of most Christians; or, if one does read it, dump in the trash can one's rational intelligence -- to become a fool for God, in other words.

To be an Atheist, one need only be able to laugh when such obvious nonsense is offered as being "divine" truth. If you are laughing, then you belong in the only organization dedicated to determined Atheist activism -- dedicated to doing something about the intrusion of religion into all areas of our government and our private lives.

_________________
And now I see the face of God, and I raise this God over the earth, this God whom men have sought since men came into being, this God who will grant them joy and peace and pride.
This God, this one word:

"I."

Ayn Rand, Anthem


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:41 pm 
Offline
**********
**********

Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:10 pm
Posts: 857
I swiped this in part because I don't have time to hash out and remember everything from the bible I read, and also because this is what I would have written if I had the time at work anyway......I actually would appreciate a rebuttal to these.....good stuff guys.


It is a central dogma of all fundamental Christians that the Bible is without error. They teach this conclusion by "reasoning" that God cannot be the author of false meaning and he cannot lie. Is this true? If written by a perfect being, then it must not contradict itself, as a collection of books written by different men at different times over many centuries would be expected to contradict each other.

With this in mind, let us have a look at the Bible on several subjects.





ON THE SABBATH DAY
"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy." -- Exodus 20:8

"One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind." -- Romans 14:5




ON THE PERMANENCY OF THE EARTH
"... the earth abideth for ever." -- Ecclesiastes 1:4

"... the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up." -- 2Peter 3:10




ON SEEING God
"... I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved." -- Genesis 32:30

"No man hath seen God at any time..."-- John 1:18




ON HUMAN SACRIFICE
"... Thou shalt not let any of thy seed pass through the fire to Molech, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God..." -- Leviticus 18:21

[In Judges, though, the tale of Jephthah, who led the Israelites against the Ammonoites, is being told. Being fearful of defeat, this good religious man sought to guarantee victory by getting God firmly on his side. So he prayed to God] "... If thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands, Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the LORD's, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering" (Judges 11:30-31).

[The terms were acceptable to God -- remember, he is supposed to be omniscient and know the future -- so he gave victory to Jephthah, and the first whatsoever that greeted him upon his glorious return was his daughter, as God surely knew would happen, if God is God. True to his vow, the general made a human sacrifice of his only child to God!] -- Judges 11:29-34




ON THE POWER OF God
"... with God all things are possible." -- Matthew 19:26

"...The LORD was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron." -- Judges 1:19




ON DEALING WITH PERSONAL INJURY
"...thou shalt give life for life, Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot. burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe. " -- Exodus 21:23-25

"...ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on the right cheek, turn to him the other also." -- Matthew 5:39




ON CIRCUMCISION
"This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised." -- Genesis 17:10

"...if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing." -- Galatians 5:2




ON
"Cursed be he that lieth with his sister, the daughter of his father, or the daughter of this mother..." -- Deuteronomy 27:22

"And if a man shall take his sister, his father's daughter, or his mother's daughter...it is a wicked thing...." -- Leviticus 20:17

[But what was God's reaction to Abraham, who married his sister -- his father's daughter?] See Genesis 20:11-12

"And God said unto Abraham, As for Sara thy wife...I bless her, and give thee a son also of her..." -- Genesis 17:15-16




ON TRUSTING God
"A good man obtaineth favour of the LORD..." -- Proverbs 12:2

Now consider the case of Job. After commissioning Satan to ruin Job financially and to slaughter his shepherds and children to win a petty bet with Satan. God asked Satan: "Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? and still he holdeth fast his integrity, although thou movedst me against him, to destroy him without cause." -- Job 2:3




ON THE HOLY LIFE-STYLE
"Go thy way, eat thy bread with joy, and drink thy wine with a merry heart..." -- Ecclesiastes 9:7

"...they that rejoice, as though they rejoiced not..." -- 1 Corinthians 7:30




ON PUNISHING CRIME
"The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father..." -- Ezekiel 18:20

"I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation..." -- Exodus 20:5




ON TEMPTATION
"Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man." -- James 1:13

"And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham..." -- Genesis 22:1




ON FAMILY RELATIONSHIPS
"Honor thy father and thy mother..."-- Exodus 20:12

"If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. " -- Luke 14:26




ON RESURRECTION OF THE DEAD
"...he that goeth down to the grave shall come up no more. " -- Job 7:9

"...the hour is coming, in which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, and shall come forth...." -- John 5:28-29




ON THE END OF THE WORLD
"Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom. " -- Matthew 16:28

"Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled. Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away. " -- Luke 21:32-33

"And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed. The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light." -- Romans 13:11-12

"Be ye also patient; establish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh." -- James 5:8

"Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time." -- 1 John 2:18

"But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer." -- 1 Peter 4:7

These words were written between 1800 and 1900 years ago and were meant to warn and prepare the first Christians for the immediate end of the world. Some words are those supposedly straight out of the mouth of the "Son of God." The world did not end 1800 or 1900 years ago. All that generation passed away without any of the things foretold coming to pass. No amount of prayer brought it about; nor ever so much patience and belief and sober living. The world went on, as usual, indifferent to the spoutings of yet another batch of doomsday prophets with visions of messiahs dancing in their deluded brains. The world, by surviving, makes the above passages contradictions.




CONCLUSION
What is incredible about the Bible is not its divine authorship; it's that such a concoction of contradictory nonsense could be believed by anyone to have been written by an omniscient God. To do so, one would first have to not read the book, which is the practice of most Christians; or, if one does read it, dump in the trash can one's rational intelligence -- to become a fool for God, in other words.

To be an Atheist, one need only be able to laugh when such obvious nonsense is offered as being "divine" truth. If you are laughing, then you belong in the only organization dedicated to determined Atheist activism -- dedicated to doing something about the intrusion of religion into all areas of our government and our private lives.

_________________
And now I see the face of God, and I raise this God over the earth, this God whom men have sought since men came into being, this God who will grant them joy and peace and pride.
This God, this one word:

"I."

Ayn Rand, Anthem


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 5   [ 86 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


Jump to: