All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mystery Religion
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:14 pm 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 2nd Deg. KoC, SSFJDOG
Hey Y'all...

My older brother was in town recently and we got talking about Theology... He mentioned reading somewhere that the Mystery Religions of ancient Rome were SOOOO Christian-like, that many cross relics were found and carbon dated to well before the Birth of Christ... And other such stuff... Can someone provide me with info... I cannot find any information on these supposed facts... All my searches for this religion usually pull up anti-catholic (but still Christian) websites... It seems my brothers information was trying to discredit Christianity all together...

Oh... I do remember one more thing... He said in ancient Rome there were the inner mysteries and the outer mysteries... Christianity is the outer mysteries, and the inner has been lost... Or something like that...

FJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:17 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
He's been reading Alexander Hislop or his followers again.

Need something to read?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:18 pm 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

Church Affiliations: 2nd Deg. KoC, SSFJDOG
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
He's been reading Alexander Hislop or his followers again.

Any good websites I can go to? I don't care to invest in any books on the subject...

FJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:24 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

www.tektonics.org Has a lot of stuff on it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:27 pm 
Middle Management
Middle Management

Whew....I thought that this thread was going to be about a really bad parish that you went to.

I have been reading "The Christ of Faith" by Karl Adam. It did go over this in a chapter. It's pretty cheap (used) and the whole book is awesome. Or I could post some points for you later on this.

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:25 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Religion: One Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree K of C, L of M
There is a passage in one of Justin Martyr's letters to the Emperor where he complains about the followers of Mithras because they are copying everything the Roman Catholic Church is doing.

We were copied.

We did not copy.

Judas Iscariot is the patron saint of Social Justice. Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

A logistics problem should be handled with a logistical solution, not a liturgical one.

Holy Mary, Queen of the Martyrs, Pray for us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:46 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Pax, if I were wearing a hat, I'd take it off to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:37 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

You must also remember that most of the scholarship which people based these similarities on was Cumont's study of Mithraism that was completely discounted after a conference in 1975. Now, Cumont's fatal mistake was the fact that he assumed that the Mithraism of Rome was evolved from the Mithraism of Persia and divers areas. But newer scholarship discounts this and views Roman Mithraism as something completely invented by the Romans, using Persian names to add an exotic flair to their esoteric society.

So little is known about Mithraism, that it would be impossible to say who copied whom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:47 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I have read that the corss is a pagan symbol too. And, not just the even sided one either and crosses were around before Jesus.

What's interesting is before his crucifixion, Jesus talks about bearing the cross. This supports even more in my opinion that he is divine.

"One single act of love will make us know Jesus better...It will bring us closer to him for all eternity." -----St. Therese of Liseux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:22 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Since the cross was a standard tool in the roman's toolbox for executions (remember citiizens got the sword) of non romans, it would be no surprise that the cross was a common symbol.

Disagreement and error among men on moral and religious matters have always been a cause of profound sorrow to all good men, but above all to the true and loyal sons of the Church, especially today, when we see the principles of Christian culture being attacked on all sides. -Pope Pius XII

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:35 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Religion: One Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree K of C, L of M
SeanMc wrote:
So little is known about Mithraism, that it would be impossible to say who copied whom.

Please, Sean. You are generally a nice fellow, but this is reprehensible.

Judas Iscariot is the patron saint of Social Justice. Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

A logistics problem should be handled with a logistical solution, not a liturgical one.

Holy Mary, Queen of the Martyrs, Pray for us.