Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 3   [ 42 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:05 pm 

Did I fall on a communist forum or something? hehehhe
Dan Brown makes a living writing books....fiction. Controversy makes money. It's the American way people!......it's entertainment, not a treatise. Sheesh!

"I."

Ayn Rand, Anthem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:22 pm 

dinosaur wrote:
Yoga wrote:

The book probably would have spent three weeks on the hardback shelf, and five weeks on the paperback shelf if it had not landed right in the middle of a cultural predisposition to distrust the Catholic Church. Brown didn't create that; I doubt he even realized what he had stumbled into.

And I'd say Brown has beat the Church in its own backyard. This is a big deal. Whenever a mediocre novelist can triumph over a huge and powerful worldwide organization we need to sit up and take notice. Something has happened and it's much larger than one book.

I am glad we can agree on the literary merit of the work, which is zero.

Did Brown act ignorantly? I can't say for sure, but I think he had a good idea of what he was doing; else why the "Fact" statement at the beginning of the book?

As for Brown's "beat[ing] the Church in its own backyard," that is utter nonsense. As mentioned above, that is overstating things a good bit. All Brown did was play into the hands of the anti-Church "Amen Choir" (intentional allusion) who were then only too happy to sound the horn and get the bandwagon rolling. Once you have people's curiosity piqued, anything can happen - think of "The Royal Nonesuch" in Huck Finn (or was it Tom Sawyer?) - nothing attracts people like a crowd.

The difficulty in attacking the idea that jesus was married is the lack of evidence for or against.

Those for marriage say it's reasonable to presume he was married bacause that's what Jewish men of the times did. But there is no positive evidence.

Those against marriage say there is no positive evidence for the marriage. But lack of evidence is not evidence.

So, both sides are left with weak positions. I never have figured out why anyone cares, but we can observe that they care very much. That's another interesting sociological question - about both sides.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 3   [ 42 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3