Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 3   [ 47 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: The importance of Gabriel and Michael
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:36 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

PDUBYA wrote:
..... The only religion that believes in one God and teaches to love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you is Christianity. ...

... and, of course, Judaism which, in addition, specifically & positively requires you ~ in noncombatant situations ~ to assist your enemy and work with him in his misfortunes. It's a topic appearing prominently in the lists of 613 mitzvot and has been discussed extensively through the ages by Chazal (the Sages).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:05 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I never knew about these books in the old testiment. Does the Cahtolic bible have other gopsel books and new testiment books too?

"One single act of love will make us know Jesus better...It will bring us closer to him for all eternity." -----St. Therese of Liseux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:18 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

<<I never knew about these books in the old testiment. Does the Cahtolic bible have other gopsel books and new testiment books too?>>

The New Testament is the same in the Catholic and Protestant Bibles; but in the Old Testament we have Tobit, Judith, 1 Maccabees, 2 Maccabees, Wisdom, Sirach, Baruch, and some additions to Esther and Daniel. These are the ones that were eliminated at the Reformation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:28 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: I got me some.
The New Testament is the same. But when Luther pulled the deuterocanicals books (Tobit, Judith, 1s and 2nd Maccabees, Wisdom, Sirach, Baruch, and some achapters of Esther and Daniel), he also pulled Hebrews, James, Jude, Revelation from the NT and published a bible without those Books as well as add the word "alone" after the word "faith" in a verse in ROmans. He did this because those books did not fit his theology of Bible alone and salvation by faith alone. He has a famous quote referring to the book of James as the "epistle of straw". But the uproar over removing the 4 NT books was too great so he put them back in the next printing of his German translation Bible.

"Man is placed above all creatures, and not beneath them, and he cannot be satisfied or content except in something greater than himself. Greater than himself there is nothing but Myself, the Eternal God. Therefore I alone can satisfy him."

The Dialogue of the Seraphic Virgin Catherine of Siena

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:08 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Is Wisdom like proverbs?

"One single act of love will make us know Jesus better...It will bring us closer to him for all eternity." -----St. Therese of Liseux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:21 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
it's only 19 chapters...check it out for yourself :wink:

http://www.scriptours.com/bible/bible.cgi?book=25

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:28 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

thanks for the link. I might print it up and staple it for myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:04 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
make it easy on ourself...just buy a Catholic Bible and you'll get all the books that were deemed to be the Canon of Sacred Scripture by the Church

this is the one probably closest to the KJV

http://www.catholicfirst.com/bibledrv.cfm

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:36 am 

Here is a great upcoming event on the Archangels. If you live anywhere near Minneapolis, you may want to consider it.

St. Michael Minnesota is about 35 miles west of Minneapolis and Fr. Altier is a solid priest that appears each Tuesday on the Drew Mariani show on Relevant Radio. Fr. Altiers daily homilies can be found at www.desertvoice.org. Fr. Altier is the assocate pastor at St. Agnus Church in St. Paul and celebrates daily Mass at 6 AM.

It is possible that this talk would be recorded and publically available.

http://www.leafletmissal.org/se.html

Be Not Afraid - Lord, Save Us Lest We Parish

You are invited to a Mass offering our
Prayers of Thanksgiving to the Archangels:
St. Michael, St. Gabriel, St. Raphael, and the Holy Angels

For the intercession and protection of our
Holy Catholic Church, our families,
our children and our country.
Father Robert Altier
Wednesday, September 28, 2005
Speaking on Pope Leo XIII and the St. Michael Prayer
Rosary and Confession: 6:00 pm
Music Prior to Mass
Holy Mass – 7:00 pm
Special Presentation – After Mass
Church of St. Michael, St. Michael, Minnesota
Father Michael Becker, Pastor
Father Robert Altier, Con-Celebrant and Guest Homilist

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:36 am 
Middle Management
Middle Management

I have heard alot of good things about Father Altier.

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:55 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (SSPX)
As I understand it, Islam teaches that Gabriel dictated the entire Qu'ran to Mohammed. It wasn't that Gabriel "taught about Allah," rather, he dictated word for word, in Arabic, the entire Qu'ran, which Mohammed transcribed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:05 pm 
Huckleberry
Huckleberry

tAnGo wrote:
As I understand it, Islam teaches that Gabriel dictated the entire Qu'ran to Mohammed. It wasn't that Gabriel "taught about Allah," rather, he dictated word for word, in Arabic, the entire Qu'ran, which Mohammed transcribed.

They'd love for us to believe that....but fact of the matter is, Mohammed was illiterate. Everything the "angel" told him had to be recited much later to scribes who then copied down the Qu'ran. He must have been given a magical photographic memory to be able to memorize that much material and then be able to recite it word for word at a later date. Heck, I can't even remember my own cell phone number most of the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:59 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (SSPX)
I realize that, dude...

My point is simply that Islam teaches that every word of the Qur'an came from God, by the lips of Gabriel and went into the ears of Muhammed. This is why they claim that the Qur'an is the 'infallible Word of God'... the final time God would ever speak to the world... "the last chance to get it right", so to speak.. It's why they reject the old and especially the new testament... they believe that people screwed up the message of the new testament, didn't understand it right, didn't implement right, etc., which necessitated God sending Gabriel to Muhammed to speak in Arabic and dictate the final instruction book from God.

Sorry for the misleading thing about Muhammed writing everything down himself..
Yes, it's documented that initially, everything was memorized (perfectly, syllable by syllable, according to the experts) and later was written down from that "oral tradition"...

I'm not debating what's true and what's not true.. .certainly not debating Islam... just pointing out what it is that Islam teaches..

but maybe you understand that's only a point i was making...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:04 pm 
Huckleberry
Huckleberry

Sure. It just seems far fetched for them to actually believe this. It's easier for us to believe that the Holy Spirit inspired the Biblical authors than to believe that God gave Mohammad a perfect memory. ISTM that God would have picked a literate person (like Moses) for his prophet.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:27 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Stephen wrote:
PDUBYA wrote:
..... The only religion that believes in one God and teaches to love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you is Christianity. ...

... and, of course, Judaism which, in addition, specifically & positively requires you ~ in noncombatant situations ~ to assist your enemy and work with him in his misfortunes. It's a topic appearing prominently in the lists of 613 mitzvot and has been discussed extensively through the ages by Chazal (the Sages).

The old Jews before Jesus, the very orthodox, who abided by the O.T. in and out did not pray for their enemies, they were taught an eye for an eye, tooth for tooth, they prayed for God's wrath and justice on their enemies and were waiting for a Messiah to come and destroy their enemies and exalt the Jews while on Earth; this is one of the essential reasons they did not accept Jesus, cause he corrected these Jews in saying that you are to love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you...They didn't want to hear what he said about all this...

Some of these ecumenists are so preoccupied with Christian unity that they are willing to destroy Catholic unity in the name of Christian unity. - Fr. John Hardon

Last edited by Dionysius on Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:39 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

By the Way, keep reading about Muhammad's life, you'll eventually found out about the parts that are written below (this is in part of a paper I wrote, I dont feel like rewriting it so ill just copy and paste it from my research paper on Muhammad, and his life before Islam) Anyway, here it is below, everything is true below, it has been confirmed by many other books I have read on his life and on Islam:

Muhammad was raised into this Arabian tribal culture. His father’s family belonged to the Quraysh tribe, the most powerful tribe in Mecca. His father died before he was born. His mother died from a fever when he was six years old. Immediately after his mother death, he went to live with his grandfather on his father’s side, who was the caretaker for the main place of worship of the Quraysh tribe, which was the Al-Ka’ba (Ishaq, pg. 21). The tribe’s beliefs were polytheistic in nature, worshiping many different idol gods. As a result of Muhammad being raised into this tribe by his grandfather, he was exposed to polytheism, paganism, and witnessed his own tribe attack and plunder many other tribes to gain power and wealth.

Later in his life, he traveled near and outside the Arabian Peninsula’s borders, exposing him to the monotheistic beliefs of Judaism and Christianity within the Roman Empire. It was the Judeo-Christian world on the frontiers of which he lived that influenced his religious convictions on monotheism with the principle of one, supreme, all-powerful God; a God who was Creator of all creation. Muhammad also adopted the Judeo-Christian notion of the battle between good and evil, God and Satan. He taught of the immortality of the soul and its responsibility in this life, with the two-fold beliefs of reward and punishment after the soul leaves the body (Belloc, pg. 43).

However, he did not embrace all the beliefs of Judeo-Christian doctrine within Islamic doctrine. Muhammad began to establish his own mix of religious beliefs within the tribal culture because he eventually saw that the Arabic tribes would not accept Christianity or Judaism doctrine as a whole. As a result, the foundational principles of Islam revealed over time to Muhammad are a mixture between simplified Judeo-Christian prime doctrine, and tribal culture mentality.

This obviously explains where he got Gabriel from...

Ishaq, Ibn. The Life of Muhammad. London: The Folio Society, 1964

Belloc, Hilaire. The Great Heresies. Illinios: Tan Books and Publishers, Inc., 1991.[/b]

Some of these ecumenists are so preoccupied with Christian unity that they are willing to destroy Catholic unity in the name of Christian unity. - Fr. John Hardon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:47 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

thanks for suggestoins on Bibles. I may go to a Catholic store a friend told me about for one. I've also gotten a chidren's book on the mass and on St. Therese. Pictures help me more than most writing, not due to lack of intelligence but how I operate, so things with pictures are great :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:51 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

PDUBYA wrote:
Stephen wrote:
PDUBYA wrote:

The old Jews before Jesus, the very orthodox, who abided by the O.T. in and out did not pray for their enemies ...

Following are some timeless universal guidelines in dealing with an enemy in non-combatant situations (apologies ahead of time for my extensive use of capitals ~ I needed to create an easy framework for reference):

EXCERPT FROM THE OPENING WORDS OF THE BEDTIME SHEMA
(translation of a prayer with very ancient roots, said at night by every observant Jew as the last thing before going to sleep; from the Artscroll Siddur:)
“Master of the universe, I hereby forgive anyone who angered or antagonized me or who sinned against me – whether against my body, my property, my honor, or against anything of mine; whether he did so accidentally, willfully, carelessly, or purposely; whether through speech, deed, thought, or notion …..”

THE TEACHING: DO NOT TAKE REVENGE
(Lev 19:18, mitzvah 20 in Maimonides’ enumeration in “Mishneh Torah”)

THE TEACHING: DO NOT BEAR GRUDGES
(Lev 19:18, mitzvah 21)

THE TEACHING: DO NOT KIDNAP
(Ex 20:13, mitzvah 473)

THE TEACHING: DO NOT MURDER
(Ex 20:13, mitzvah 482)

THE TEACHING: OFFER PEACE NEGOTIATIONS
Offer peace terms to the inhabitants of a city while holding siege, and treat them according to the Torah if they accept the terms. This one has been observed at great expense of human life in recent times in the land of Israel. (Deut 20:10, mitzvah 602)

THE TEACHING: VISIT A SICK OR MOURNING ENEMY IN NONCOMBATANT SITUATIONS
The following brought down by the halakhic authority Rabbi Mendel Weinbach of Ohr Somayach International, based on Biblical precedents and subsequent elucidations in “Aruch HaShulchan”:
“A message should be sent to the patient (or the mourner) asking him if he would welcome a visit from his enemy. If consent is granted the above-mentioned fears are no longer relevant and a visit is very much in order.”

THE TEACHING: DO NOT REJOICE IN AN ENEMY’S MISFORTUNE
“ [Note] King Solomon's warning (Proverbs 24:17) that "You shall not rejoice in the fall of your enemy" (Beis Yosef on the Tur, Orach Chaim 490). [We also] recall what Hashem told the angels when they wanted to sing His praise at the time when the Yam Suf [Sea of Reeds] split to save the Israelites and drown the Egyptians: "My creations are drowning in the sea and you wish to sing My praises!"

THE TEACHING: DO NOT REJOICE IN AN ENEMY’S VICTORIES
"Rejoice not in the fall of your enemy" (Pirke Avos 4:24).

THE TEACHING: HELP AN ENEMY WHO HAS LOST PROPERTY
“If you encounter an ox of your enemy or his donkey weandering, you shall return it to him repeatedly (23:4)

Also, see:
http://www.aish.com/torahportion/shalom ... v_5763.asp

THE TEACHING: HOW TO RESPOND TO AN ENEMY’S MILITARY ATTACKS
(brought down by the halakhic authority Rabbi Mendel Weinbach of Ohr Somayach International:)
“How should a nation respond to the approach of a dangerous enemy? Does the answer lie only in more sophisticated defense systems and more powerful deterrent bombs? While this may be true for other nations, the history of the Jewish people indicates that there is another element as well. In the Torah portion we read in synagogues on this Shabbat Shirah we …. relive the anxiety they felt before the sea miraculously split for them and they saw Pharaoh and his troops drawing near. At that moment they adopted the tactic of their forefathers who prayed to Heaven in time of need.”

And, again from the same source:
“These questions, and many more like them which most of us ask about politics and politicians, find a theological answer in this week's Torah portion. Yaakov and his family, on their way back to Eretz Yisrael, are threatened by .... Esav and his band of 400 terrorist followers. Yaakov does everything in his power to avert this danger to himself, his family and future generations. He uses diplomacy in the form of lavish gifts and humbling himself before his brother. He prays to Heaven and even prepares himself for war.

“The dramatic climax to this confrontation finds Esav embracing and kissing the brother he had vowed to destroy. What turned the trick? It is hard to imagine that Esav was deterred by the puny resistance Yaakov was capable of offering by splitting his camp in two and concealing weapons behind the clothes of the vastly outnumbered defenders. In his commentary, Ramban assigns some of the credit to the diplomatic subservience of Yaakov but accords the lion's share to his prayer.

“Just as man determines with his digging where the waters of a river will flow, says King Solomon (Mishlei 21:1), so is the heart of the king in the hand of G-d Who directs it to wherever He wishes. Although ordinary humans have free will to choose right or wrong, this freedom is sometimes suspended by Heaven when a ruler's decision affects the fate of his nation and other nations. Heaven's response to Yaakov's prayers came not in the form of a miraculous military triumph but rather in the change of heart of his enemy.”

THE TEACHING: FEED YOUR ENEMY (“HOSPITALITY HAS THE POWER TO TURN YOUR ENEMIES INTO FRIENDS”)
(a practical application of timeless Torah guidelines on dealing with enemies, from the following websiteJ
http://ohr.edu/yhiy/article.php/1256

“Question: My son recently came home from elementary school that he attends with a complaint that some of his classmates are “picking on him”. He is afraid to report them to the teacher because this may incite them to vengeance. What is the right thing for me to do in order to help him?

“Answer: A couple of factors must first be kept in mind. Childhood quarrels such as the one you describe often result from petty prejudices or imagined grievances. It is also difficult to know for certain that your son is completely innocent. The ideal solution is to make contact with the parents of the classmates in question and to try to work out a reconciliation between the youngsters through adult guidance.

“The problem facing your son can also be turned into a valuable educational experience. Life can be filled with situations of social hostility of which he is receiving a foretaste at a very young age. You must therefore guide him in breaking down the barriers that separate him from those classmates and expose him to what he views as unjust harassment. Parents can certainly help in such an effort by inviting those classmates to their home for a meal or activity in which they must be polite to their host's child and thus foster a new relationship. King Solomon has already advised us to feed our enemy and there is the famous Talmudic dictum that hospitality has the power to turn enemies into friends.

“Only if such efforts fail because of the violent nature of your son's classmates should you resort to involving the school authorities or consider transferring schools.”

See another example at:
http://www.aish.com/torahportion/family ... m_5762.asp

and another at:
http://www.aish.com/torahportion/shalom ... s_5764.asp

GENERAL TREATMENT OF OTHERS
See:
http://www.aish.com/spirituality/philos ... Part_6.asp

And again at:
http://www.aish.com/jewishissues/jewish ... ks_Out.asp

IN CONCLUSION
What you will find is that the foundations of morality governing true, pragmatic love of enemies was (and, unfortunately, still is) something still quite new and foreign to pagan/secularist societies of yesterday and today. You, as a Christian holding a very similar morality to that evidenced in all the above, have a bigger ally in Judaism than you may realize. Think again of the wisdom of your actions before undercutting your elder brothers (to use a term favored by John Paul II and others).

May your Sunday be as wonderful as our Shabbos, G-d willing.
I am off to greet the Queen!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:30 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Thank you for all the information, Stephen. It'll make for good reading. Shabbat Shalom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:13 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

You're most welcome, Cet.

MSG, on the original topic I belatedly found this at:

http://ohr.edu/ask_db/ask_main.php/231/Q5/

"The Hebrew word for angel is malach, which means messenger, angelos in Greek. According to traditional Jewish sources, angels are the powers which fulfill the will of G-d.

"Our Sages say there are four angels who allegorically accompany man and protect him. Michael on his right, Gabriel on his left, Oriel in front of him, and Rafael from behind. The idea is that there are four 'fields' in which one needs continuous help, and man receives this help via certain channels by which G-d conducts the occurrences in this world.

"Michael, 'Mi Cael - who is like the merciful G-d?' is the representative of the attribute of mercy. Gabriel - 'my strength is G-d'- represents the attribute of power and judgment; they are therefore on the right and left respectively. Oriel - 'my light is G-d,' represents the attribute of knowledge by which man wishes to know what lies ahead and how to act accordingly; thus, Oriel 'stands before' a man to show him the way. Rafael - 'my healer is G-d' - is the attribute by which G-d heals any ill which befalls a man; that is why he 'stands behind' man."

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 3   [ 47 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next