Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Does anybody else read George MacDonald?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:09 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Since Tolkien and the Potter books seem to get peoples ire up, who here reads the works of George MacDonald?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:16 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Well I guess not...

Ohh well. Someone pick up a copy of Phantasies so we can talk about it. The work so overwhemled C.S.Lewis that he said that when reading it he knew he had "crossed that great frontier". It is a seminal work of both fantasy and christian literature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:06 pm 
Middle Management
Middle Management

I tried to read some of his stuff, but didn't really like it. I'm not too much into fantasy, so maybe thats why.

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:37 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

bonaventure wrote:
I tried to read some of his stuff, but didn't really like it. I'm not too much into fantasy, so maybe thats why.
He also has other works of fiction besides fantasy along with poetry and non-fiction. "The Gifts of the Child Christ: And Other Stories and Fairy Tales" is another excellent one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:17 pm 
Middle Management
Middle Management

Yeah I would like to read some of his "Unspoken Sermons". I believe that they are online.

Do you know if Lewis' book of excerpts from Mcdonald is any good? Is it a good overview and sample of his work?

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:29 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

bonaventure wrote:
Yeah I would like to read some of his "Unspoken Sermons". I believe that they are online.

Do you know if Lewis' book of excerpts from Mcdonald is any good? Is it a good overview and sample of his work?
I think so. At least they are the parts Lewis found most interesting. His work covered Novels, Fantasy, Non-Fiction, Short Story and Poetry. MacDonald was a great influence on a number of other great authors, not just Lewis. (MacDonald appears as a character in Lewis's The Great Divorce). Tolkien comes to mind as another admirer of MacDonald and cited his concept of "Faerie" as the basis for his own works in that region of the imagination. G. K. Chesterton cited The Princess and the Goblin as a book that had "made a difference to my whole existence".

I would say that if it were not for MacDonald, "of Tour and the Fall of Gondolin" would never have been written. And that was the beginning for Tolkien. Then no Hobbit, LOTR, the Lewis Space Trilogy, The Chronicals of Narnia and any other number of works. The world would be a much poorer place if not for the seeds of Faerie planted by George MacDonald into the mainstream of English Lit.