Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What happened to St. Paul's Letter to the Church in Laodocia
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:10 am 

We know that Laodocia was one of the first 7 churches.
We know they were luckwarm.
We know that St. Paul wrote a letter to them.
We know that it is not in the Bible.
We know that the Bible is complete and the inspired Word of God.
We know that many early writings of the Church Fathers are studied for insight into the problems and beliefs of the early Church.

I heard a respected priest talk about how we got the books in the Bible and that the Holy Spirit guided the Bishops in their action. He said he would have included the letter to Laodocia based on his human understanding but he would have been wrong. He also would not have included some other books based on his human understanding but would have been wrong there also. I agree completly and am thankful that the God's hand was on the early Bishops when they established the books in the Bible (which were confirmed by the Pope). I trust completly that the Bible includes exactly what should be in it.

Still I wonder
Does the letter to Laodocia still exist?
Does anyone have insight into what it contains and why it was not included in the Bible?

Post subject: Re: What happened to St. Paul's Letter to the Church in Laodocia
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:24 am 

Religion: Catholic
C S P B wrote:
We know that Laodocia was one of the first 7 churches.
We know they were luckwarm.
We know that St. Paul wrote a letter to them.
We know that it is not in the Bible.
We know that the Bible is complete and the inspired Word of God.
We know that many early writings of the Church Fathers are studied for insight into the problems and beliefs of the early Church.

I heard a respected priest talk about how we got the books in the Bible and that the Holy Spirit guided the Bishops in their action. He said he would have included the letter to Laodocia based on his human understanding but he would have been wrong. He also would not have included some other books based on his human understanding but would have been wrong there also. I agree completly and am thankful that the God's hand was on the early Bishops when they established the books in the Bible (which were confirmed by the Pope). I trust completly that the Bible includes exactly what should be in it.

Still I wonder
Does anyone have insight into what it contains and why it was not included in the Bible?

It exists in Latin and Arabic. However, if you do read Latin, I don't know where you can get a copy. Sorry that I can't be more help.

As far as why it's not in the Bible, is that not everything that was written, was necessarily inspired by the Holy Spirit. The same Holy Spirit who inspired the authors to write the Bible, is the same Holy Spirit who can guide the Church to compile the canon of what the Holy Spirit inspired to be written.

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:42 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
true, some of the apochryphal writings are alleged to be by some of the Apostels... while they may or may not be,just because you are an Apostle does not mean everything you wrote was inspired by God... Thank God we had the Church to decide what was inspired and what was not...if only we could get our portestant brothers to understand that if they accept the Bible as the inspired Word of God (which most do), then they also have to accept the authprity of the Church that determined which books were inspired :roll:

for a list of apocrypha, check this out

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/apocrypha.html

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject: Re: What happened to St. Paul's Letter to the Church in Laodocia
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:44 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
C S P B wrote:
Still I wonder

There is an 'Epistle to the Laodocians', but most scholars think it is a forgery. Many scholars believe that the missing epistle of Saint Paul to the Laodocians IS in our Bible, except that it is actually the epistle to the Ephesians.