Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Love and Charity
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:52 pm 
Please, someone define these for me.

As well, love is considered an act of the will, is it not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:00 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
The single English word "love" covers a multitude of Greek and Latin terms.

Need something to read?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:22 pm 
Let me give it a shot.....

love is a state in which you are willing to suffer/sacrifice for someone/something else... and you are willing to do this with a clear, conscious, and rational mind and without any alterior motives....

also, love is an act of will. we can be given grace which leads us to love, but it is ultimately a choice. God desires us to love Him because He gave us free will and He's hoping we choose to love Him.

charity is a gift given out of love....whether its an act, a sacrifice, monetary, etc...

well i hope that helped somewhat....

-chauk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:56 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
chauk wrote:
charity is a gift given out of love....whether its an act, a sacrifice, monetary, etc...

To avoid future confusion, charity is just an older word for love. It isn't a gift given out of love (philantropy)

Hence in older bibles "God is charity" rather than "God is love" is found. When we speak of Faith, Hope and Charity, the theological virtues, charity again means its original meaning not its modern connotation

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:05 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Love is an ubiquitous. I prefer charity since it has a clear connotation of an act of the will, rather than emotion or feeling.

Charity (or love) as understood as a theological virtue (faith, hope, charity) is the Infused divine virtue (virtue meaning habit) of loving God for His own sake, and loving men on account of God.

But what does it mean to love? C.S. Lewis has some excellent writings here. He goes over four Greek words corresponding to English love. Agape, storge, philio, and eros.

Eros is, well obvious. Erotic love or to avoid a connotation of it being bad (it isn't a bad love) a sexual love

Philio is a love where one might say like. "I love chocolate" Unfortunately, our culture conceives love in this sense too often. It is self seeking Not bad, per se, but not true love

Storge is a natural love, like that of mother and child.

Agape is the love which we are concerned with here. It is unconditional, for one thing.

The Catholic Encyclopedia explains it, in accord with St. Thomas, as friendship and benevolence

Quote:
The third and greatest of the Divine virtues enumerated by St. Paul (1 Cor., xiii, 13), usually called charity, defined: a divinely infused habit, inclining the human will to cherish God for his own sake above all things, and man for the sake of God.

This definition sets off the main characteristics of charity:

(1) Its origin, by Divine infusion. "The charity of God is poured forth in our hearts, by the Holy Ghost" (Rom., v, 5). It is, therefore, distinct from, and superior to, the inborn inclination or the acquired habit of loving God in the natural order. Theologians agree in saying that it is infused together with sanctifying grace, to which it is closely related either by way of real identity, as some few hold, or, according to the more common view, by way of connatural emanation.

(2) Its seat, in the human will. Although charity is at times intensely emotional, and frequently reacts on our sensory faculties, still it properly resides in the rational will a fact not to be forgotten by those who would make it an impossible virtue.

(3) Its specific act, i.e. the love of benevolence and friendship. To love God is to wish Him all honour and glory and every good, and to endeavour, as far as we can, to obtain it-for Him. St. John (xiv, 23; xv, 14) emphasizes the feature of reciprocity which makes charity a veritable friendship of man with God.

(4) Its motive, i.e., the Divine goodness or amiability taken absolutely and as made known to us by faith. It matters not whether that goodness be viewed in one, or several, or all of the Divine attributes, but, in all cases, it must be adhered to, not as a source of help, or reward, or happiness for ourselves, but as a good in itself infinitely worthy of our love, in this sense alone is God loved for His own sake. However, the distinction of the two loves: concupiscence, which prompts hope; and benevolence, which animates charity, should not be forced into a sort of mutual exclusion, as the Church has repeatedly condemned any attempts at discrediting the workings of Christian hope.

(5) Its range, i.e., both God and man. While God alone is all lovable, yet, inasmuch as all men, by grace and glory, either actually share or at least are capable of sharing in the Divine goodness, it follows that supernatural love rather includes than excludes them, according to Matt., xxii, 39, and Luke, x, 27. Hence one and the same virtue of charity terminates in both God and man, God primarily and man secondarily.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09397a.htm

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:43 pm 
Gracias!

Post subject: Re: Love and Charity
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:06 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

alyssa wrote:
Please, someone define these for me.

As well, love is considered an act of the will, is it not?

Love:
"the emotional pleasure of identifying virtues in another person."