Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Suggestions anyone?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:58 pm 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 2nd Deg. KoC, SSFJDOG
Ok, I am at my folks place for a few days with the wife and kids on vacation... I usually have a lot of time to read, and my dad has a great library... It has the whole spectrum. Baltimore Catechism to Hans Kung. Aquinas to Rahner...

Anyway, here are the books I was thinking of reading... I haven't read any of them... Which do you suggest?

Great Ideas from the Great Books - Mortimer Adler (I am a huge Adler fan already)

How to think about God - Mortimer Adler

The Eucharist - E. Schillebeekx

A Spirituality Named Compassion and the Healing of the Global Village, Humpty Dumpty and Us - Matthew Fox

The Baltimore Catechism

There they are... I know some of you will warn me of some possible heretics... I am aware... I like to read those who are controversial since I usually have to answer questions about them. So, let me know...

FJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:07 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: Ohio, originally from Portland Oregon/SW Washington
Read the Eucharist by Schillebeeckx.

Justin

Visit my Website: http://nouvelletheologie.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:08 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

resourcement wrote:

Justin

And the new document on the Eucharist. Both. The document is about 77pages long.

Justin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:29 pm 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

resourcement wrote:

Justin

Ooop... I started to read it, and realized that I have already read it... Next suggestion? (I am waiting to see who will be the first to suggest the Fox book)

FJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:36 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
A better suggestion: poke your eyes out with a sharp stick. Well, okay, the Baltimore Catechism isn't bad, it just isn't a book you sit down a read like a novel, it's a reference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:45 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Doom wrote:
A better suggestion: poke your eyes out with a sharp stick. Well, okay, the Baltimore Catechism isn't bad, it just isn't a book you sit down a read like a novel, it's a reference.

A lot of his earlier works are actually very good. In particular, his book:

Christ, the Sacrament of the Encounter With God

That book is very good!

Justin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:51 pm 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

Doom wrote:

Ummm.... I guess you don't know what kind of nerd I am... It would be no problem for me to sit down and read the Baltimore Catechism. I am a philosophy/theology junkie... Once a week I sit down and read the Jerome Biblical Commentary (the first one... not the new one)... for at least 20 minutes... It was one of my new years resolutions...

Yeah... I'm a geek..

FJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:59 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
forumjunkie wrote:
Doom wrote:

Ummm.... I guess you don't know what kind of nerd I am... It would be no problem for me to sit down and read the Baltimore Catechism. I am a philosophy/theology junkie... Once a week I sit down and read the Jerome Biblical Commentary (the first one... not the new one)... for at least 20 minutes... It was one of my new years resolutions...

Yeah... I'm a geek..

FJ

That doesn't make you a geek, just a masochist.

But seriously, why waste your time on crap, when you could be reading quality work? I am a movie fan, that doesn't mean I feel the need to see every single Police Acadeny movie just for the sake of completeness, if I miss a juvenille, sophmoric fart movie, I won't feel empty inside, you know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:03 pm 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

Doom wrote:
forumjunkie wrote:
Doom wrote:

Yeah... I'm a geek..

FJ

That doesn't make you a geek, just a masochist.

But seriously, why waste your time on crap, when you could be reading quality work? I am a movie fan, that doesn't mean I feel the need to see every single Police Acadeny movie just for the sake of completeness, if I miss a juvenille, sophmoric fart movie, I won't feel empty inside, you know?

Well, most of the stuff you guys suggest for reading I read in seminary either for class, or for personal benefit... Seminary can provide quite a lot of spare time for reading... especially when you are a reader like me... So, I am left to reading obscure stuff...

But, the commentary thing is a good thing... I am working on 2 books that will be commentaries, and I am currently reading a bunch of stuff that has already been written on the books I am covering... So, technically it is work related... I made it a resolution because these 2 books are now about 3 years in the works with little progress... I needed to light a fire under my own butt...

Plus, I have read most of my dad's library... What's left are my mom's john grisham novels (and greely novels) and some of these obscure books...

FJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:42 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree Knight of Columbus
Find all the ones you haven't read, sit down, and start reading them. Having never read any of the works on your list, that's the best advice I can offer.

+Bishop Fulton J. Sheen (1895-1979)

JMJ