Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Douay-Rheims
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:45 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I decided to get a new Douay-Rheims bible b/c my old one which I "inherited" came to me falling apart.

I just ordered the 2nd printing of the Douay-Rheims Leather Hardcover Bible by Baronius (the one that fixes the typographical error of the first).

For those who own it, what do you think of it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:03 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: Ohio, originally from Portland Oregon/SW Washington
I think that it is old and a translation from the Latin.

:)

I prefer the RSVCE

Visit my Website: http://nouvelletheologie.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:42 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Quote:

Which is why it's good. The Sixto-Clementine Vulgate was highly regarded by the Council of Trent and is referenced to by many/all translators.

If I wanted modern accuracy, I would just look up Nestle-Aland myself without relying on translators' interpretations (whereas the Douay-Rheims is quite a literalist translation). The only problem is that I still need to brush up on my Greek (taking Greek 200 [Classical] and 325 [Hellenistic] in September).

Not only that, but the Vulgate is the translation which has formed Western Catholic theology and they, the Vulgate and Catholic theology, jive quite well together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:49 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
resourcement wrote:

I prefer the RSVCE

The RSV CE has suprising deficiencies too... because of several heated arguments at my college we often looked up the original Greek that the RSV was based on... the Douay Rheims was most often closer to the Greek on verses where the literal rendering was "Catholic"

The RSV is just an updated KJV, and the Catholic editing for the most part just changed brothers to brethren... The Old Testament, however, can be very handy.

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:48 pm 

Religion: Catholic
I have the Haydock Commentary DR...and I love it!

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:51 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: Ohio, originally from Portland Oregon/SW Washington
Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
resourcement wrote:

I prefer the RSVCE

The RSV CE has suprising deficiencies too... because of several heated arguments at my college we often looked up the original Greek that the RSV was based on... the Douay Rheims was most often closer to the Greek on verses where the literal rendering was "Catholic"

The RSV is just an updated KJV, and the Catholic editing for the most part just changed brothers to brethren... The Old Testament, however, can be very handy.

Hey, Joshua--

Yes, much of that I agree with. The aspects of the NT that you would want to do very nuanced studies of you can do with other aids; in fact I would venture to say that most people, such as you or me, who would want to do such a detailed study would have those aids and use them.

I think that I am pretty comfortable with using the RSVCE as a "more literal" translation for normal reading, but I would never use just one bible, or the bible(s) alone to do biblical studies. When I get 15 commentaries, lexicons, etc, etc, etc, out then I am obviously supplimenting any failure on the part of *any* translation.

I was slightly joking about the Douay. I have one, and I would use it for spiritual reading, if I was doing that, but I am not into reading the Scriptures with archaic English... it is just distracting for me.

Justin

Visit my Website: http://nouvelletheologie.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:36 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

How about a good old "breaches Bible" :mrgreen:

Disagreement and error among men on moral and religious matters have always been a cause of profound sorrow to all good men, but above all to the true and loyal sons of the Church, especially today, when we see the principles of Christian culture being attacked on all sides. -Pope Pius XII

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:38 pm 
Deceased

Religion: Catholic
mike m wrote:
How about a good old "breaches Bible" :mrgreen:

Or even better, the "Wicked Bible". This was a name applied to an early printed edition of the KJV which unfortunately left out the "not" in what we Roman Catholics call the Sixth Commandment, i.e. the adultery one. Oops!

This was modernized in the TV series M*A*S*H where in one episode the priest chaplain tells the commanding officer that he needs authorization to return some misprinted Bibles. They have the misprint "Thou shalt commit adultery", and as the chaplain explains, the soldiers have been trained to obey orders!

Edward Pothier