Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Divine Will...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:50 pm 
Ok i've heard a very good answer for this, it's just been a while and when someone asked me this question i couldnt remember the explanation that made sense....

whats the explanation as to why God who is all good allows evil acts to take place (i.e. abortions, etc.) - and nothing can happen in this world unless God permits it - so by passively allowing something evil to happen - can we say the evil action was in some sense 'God's Will' ???

thanks for the help,

-chauk

Post subject: Re: Divine Will...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:54 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
chauk wrote:
Ok i've heard a very good answer for this, it's just been a while and when someone asked me this question i couldnt remember the explanation that made sense....

whats the explanation as to why God who is all good allows evil acts to take place (i.e. abortions, etc.) - and nothing can happen in this world unless God permits it - so by passively allowing something evil to happen - can we say the evil action was in some sense 'God's Will' ???

thanks for the help,

-chauk

In some sense, but one should be very careful is saying evil is God's will. Of course we are talking about moral evil to be clear

We read in the Gospels that Christ passed through the crowds and wasn't caught because His hour had not yet come... and when He is delivered it is only because of Hid divine Father's will. The evil of deicide could not happen until God's providence permitted it. In this way evil fits into God's plan for the course of history.

I think it might have been St. Augustine who used the analogy of a painting or music. Dark shades and such have no ppeal in and of themselves, but they bring out the colours in a painting and atonal music has no appeal in itself, but highlights tonal music.

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:11 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
God permits us to choose evil and therefore passively wills it. He does so because He wants us to be able to choose to follow and obey Him, and He could not allow that without also allowing us to choose against Him. He does not choose the evil--we do--but He does allow it.

Need something to read?