Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Charity and hate. So PED ....
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:05 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Quote:
BS, and stupid too. Love or more properly termed, charity, is an act of the will. Not some "feeling". I love my neighbour not in an emotional sense (indeed I dislike many of my neighbours), but yet I love those I dislike by an act of the will because I love God. Love simply put is the willing of the good. When we love another (agape) we will the other's good.

The Angelic Doctor nicely points out that charity (love) is friendship
Quote:
I answer that, According to the Philosopher (Ethic. viii, 2,3) not every love has the character of friendship, but that love which is together with benevolence, when, to wit, we love someone so as to wish good to him. If, however, we do not wish good to what we love, but wish its good for ourselves, (thus we are said to love wine, or a horse, or the like), it is love not of friendship, but of a kind of concupiscence. For it would be absurd to speak of having friendship for wine or for a horse

The intellect is what is to guide us as rational creatures. The moment we try putting feelings above or even on par with reason, we wound our free will.

So PED, If I truly hate someone’s guts to the point that I can not bring myself to be near him/her I could still be charitable to him/her by wishing good things about him/her (wishing like I meant it of course)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:19 am 
Middle Management
Middle Management

Religion: Catholic
I'm not PED but...

Feelings are passive and reactive and we cannot control them at will. So if you mean the feeling of hate, then it is not morally wrong or right to feel that way. Feelings are never morally right or wrong but only actions (interior actions or exterior).

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:50 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
bonaventure wrote:
I'm not PED but...

Feelings are passive and reactive and we cannot control them at will. So if you mean the feeling of hate, then it is not morally wrong or right to feel that way. Feelings are never morally right or wrong but only actions (interior actions or exterior).

Well feelings can be wrong if you "nurse them"... but as I said before, there is nothing wrong in itself in disliking someone even beyond the level of feeling. I can dislike someone who has a bad character. I dislike John Kerry for example. Hatred on the other hand is, properly speaking, to will the ill of the other and is therefore sinful when one wills it or nurses feelings of hatred... a longing for sin is a sin.

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:35 am 
Middle Management
Middle Management

Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
bonaventure wrote:
I'm not PED but...

Well feelings can be wrong if you "nurse them"... but as I said before, there is nothing wrong in itself in disliking someone even beyond the level of feeling. I can dislike someone who has a bad character. I dislike John Kerry for example. Hatred on the other hand is, properly speaking, to will the ill of the other and is therefore sinful when one wills it or nurses feelings of hatred... a longing for sin is a sin.

If you "nurse" the feelings, it is the nursing that is wrong and not the feeling. Only acts of the will are morally right or wrong. Even when we give in to a feeling, it is the act of giving into it which is right or wrong.

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:52 pm 
Suspended at request of user
Suspended at request of user

Religion: RC
Furthermore, you can dislike someone and still love the person. I dislike my SIL, for example, but still pray for her and love her as a child of God.

I do not nurse the feelings or even dwell on them too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:04 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

All this explanations open a whole new world to me. Since I always thought that being charitable to a person would mean that you have to be a goody two shoes with the person you really dislike (my 4th grade teacher comes to mind immediately).

This is great! It takes quite a heavy burden from me. Since I thought that if I don't act nice and jolly to a person that I really dislike then I have broken the second greatest commandmend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:58 pm 
Apostle of Iraq
Apostle of Iraq

Church Affiliations: 4th degree Knight of Columbus
As long as you love them! You don't have to like them!

*NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL* http://www.youtube.com/defendercatholic *NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL*
http://catholicscomehome.org/epic/epic120.html
Ephesians 6:10-17
1 Timothy 3:15

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:04 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

My children were abused and i find forgiveness of the abuser allows me to stand closer to Christ. i'm obedient and forgive as i have been forgiven. i Love them because i want them to be united to Christ and avoid hell. Jesus died for their sins and who am i that i would hold accountable those whom Christ has forgiven.
Love is Better.
motsfo