Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What's with all the Folk studying the "giants" in Genesis?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:33 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Twice I have been in local bookstores - One a Barnes and Noble and the other a "Christian" bookstore. Both times I encountered well dressed very polite young men who were looking for more research on the story in Genesis about the Giants starting in Chapter Six and continuing of few chapters beyond.
I knew they were looking for the books of Enoch, but my curiosity had the best of me when I met the second young man. I asked him how he knew about other books that aren't considered Scripture. and he stated: "Well they used to be there but somebody took them out" (of his King James version) and he wanted to know why.
Naturally the young man had confused the protestant removal of the deuterocanonical books with the never accepted Jewish apocrypha like enoch, Apocalypse of Baruch and so on. I proceded to explain to the man that in fact there was a difference between the two sets of books. Then I explained he could probabvly go online to amazon.com to get an original reprint of an early KJV of the Bible that would have the deuterocanonical books. "Or" I said as I walked over to the two shelf section of Catholic items in the very large "Christian" bookstore and picked up a copy of the NAB Catholic Edition, "you could just pick up a Catholic Bible- they never changed the Canon after they set the Canon"
Maybe he thought I was holding a ball of fire in my hand, he thanked me about going online to amazon.com for a KJV Bible.
Sadly I was on my way to work, I could tell this young man was a sponge for information and he sounded like he was going down a dangerous path.

Just out of curiousity does anyone know what sort of church would use this sort of stuff in a Bible study?

Disagreement and error among men on moral and religious matters have always been a cause of profound sorrow to all good men, but above all to the true and loyal sons of the Church, especially today, when we see the principles of Christian culture being attacked on all sides. -Pope Pius XII

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:53 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

^^^^ I don't think its for a bible study but personal research really.

"One single act of love will make us know Jesus better...It will bring us closer to him for all eternity." -----St. Therese of Liseux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:12 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Actually they both said they were going to be leading a Bible study with the material.

Disagreement and error among men on moral and religious matters have always been a cause of profound sorrow to all good men, but above all to the true and loyal sons of the Church, especially today, when we see the principles of Christian culture being attacked on all sides. -Pope Pius XII