Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 3   [ 56 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:23 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
The Catechism of the Catholic Church (re-read)

The Bible (Douay Rheims, I cycle through translations. This is like the 13th front to cover read through)

Rhetoric- Aristotle (reading parts that I missed in school)

Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma- Ludwig Ott (attempting to read cover to cover)

I just finished Canticle of Leibowitz

I am also slowly reading through various essays of Dietrich von Hildebrand in the Charitable Anathema

Add Iota Unum. Just got it.

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:05 pm 
Suspended at request of user
Suspended at request of user

Religion: RC
Two Kreeft books. Your Questions, God's Answers picked up at a Catholic school book sale for $1. It is geared toward teenagers but is insightful for adults nonetheless. I plan on requiring my daughters to read it once they reach their teen years. I am also reading his updated The God Who Loves You.

Also reading Miracles by C.S. Lewis.

Like Weunice, I also read a lot of essays and articles on various subjects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:25 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
I jump back and forth through different books, and here are the ones I am jumping through right now:

-The Bible

-"True Devotion to Mary"

-"Hell" (from Tan Books; not sure of author's name-some priest-real thick-won't get done with this for a while :))

-"Castro and the Cuban Revolution" (not sure of author)

"Bay of Pigs" (not sure author)

-"Redecoding DaVinci" (some Lady author)

Some of these ecumenists are so preoccupied with Christian unity that they are willing to destroy Catholic unity in the name of Christian unity. - Fr. John Hardon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:07 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: Ohio, originally from Portland Oregon/SW Washington
Caleb:

Introduction to Christianity—excellent! Are you reading the new edition?
Nature and Grace—ohh! Glad to see you are reading that. An important read, even if you don't agree with him.
Denzinger—interesting. I have never thought of just “reading” Denzinger (or Ott, as I see some people are “reading”). Any special approach, or do you just treat it like a book? I just got a new copy of it a few months ago. I wonder if somebody will take up the tab to make a new edition of it… meaning, adding in proper place doctrinal development where Denzinger left off.

Wenice:

"How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization" by Thomas E. Woods Jr
What do you think of that book. Every time I am in Barnes and Noble I look at it, but I can’t bring myself to buy it for $30. It is probably cheaper on amazon, but in a bit you will probably be able to get used copies too. It looks excellent!

Neophyte:

I haven’t heard of that book (Creative Fidelity). Who publishes it? What do you think?

Joshua (Pro Ecclesia):

I read the Charitable Anathema a couple years ago and thought it was excellent! A very fun and lively read. How are you liking it? Von Hildebrand is great.

1962Missal:

What do you think of Coplestons’s History? I have so many philosophical histories… it is hard to determine what is best…

Visit my Website: http://nouvelletheologie.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:23 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

resourcement wrote:
I wonder if somebody will take up the tab to make a new edition of it… meaning, adding in proper place doctrinal development where Denzinger left off.

They have. The 1955 edition (Denzinger-Rahner, not Karl Rahner though), which is sold in English under the title "Sources of Catholic Dogma" is not the latest. The Catechism cites Denzinger-Schonmetzer, which is the '65 edition (has vatican II in it). I am not sure what the most current version is.

But if you do not read Latin and Greek, it won't be much help. The title is Enchidirion Symbolorum.
Quote:
Joshua (Pro Ecclesia):

I read the Charitable Anathema a couple years ago and thought it was excellent! A very fun and lively read. How are you liking it? Von Hildebrand is great.

I love his essays. I need to read more of his books though (I just spent my change [nickels, quarters] on a book. I need to learn self-control here).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:34 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Quote:
They have. The 1955 edition (Denzinger-Rahner, not Karl Rahner though), which is sold in English under the title "Sources of Catholic Dogma" is not the latest. The Catechism cites Denzinger-Schonmetzer, which is the '65 edition (has vatican II in it). I am not sure what the most current version is.

Ah! The one that I have is from 1954, thirteenth edition. You said "not Karl Rahner". Mine certainly says "Karl Rahner" (??)

Quote:
I love his essays. I need to read more of his books though (I just spent my change [nickels, quarters] on a book. I need to learn self-control here).

They are all very good. Trojan Horse in the City of God is very similar. I like the Charitible Anathema because it seemed to deal with different issues. I appreciated all of his criticisms of Liturgical abuses, and his arguments for Latin in the liturgy. Also, hence the title, his agrgument for the "Charitible Anathema" was very compelling and hard to disagree with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:38 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

resourcement wrote:
Introduction to Christianity—excellent! Are you reading the new edition?

No, this came from the library. Very good section on God's wrath versus God's mercy.

Quote:
Nature and Grace—ohh! Glad to see you are reading that. An important read, even if you don't agree with him.

This book is a confused, imprecise repeition of the errors that Trent forcefully condemned.

Quote:
Denzinger—interesting. I have never thought of just “reading” Denzinger (or Ott, as I see some people are “reading”). Any special approach, or do you just treat it like a book? I just got a new copy of it a few months ago. I wonder if somebody will take up the tab to make a new edition of it… meaning, adding in proper place doctrinal development where Denzinger left off.

This is a book that I pick up, flip through, and read wherever something strikes my curiosity. Since I have two Latin & Greek editions and an English edition, it's something that provides a lot of entertainment.

As for a new edition, there's indeed a 1976 edition of Denzinger, revised by Adolfus Schönmetzer, and it includes John XXIII, Paul VI, and the council. Latin & Greek edition only. I don't know of any translation into English. The problems are that some of the selections from the earlier editions are gone, some earlier selections are expanded or elided from the earlier editions, and--this is most frustrating--the consistent numbering system has been replaced by new numbers so that the numbers from the older editions don't match the numbers of this edition. I don't worry about this edition too much because the updates are usually available on the internet (vatican.va; papalencyclicals.net); whereas, many older documents aren't and must be found in DZ and other sources.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:41 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

For those who like Ott and Denzinger, I wanted to recommend another good source:

The Christian Faith published by Alba House.

EXCELLENT!!

I actually got it when I was interning at Catholic Answers in 2000--it was required for the staff apologists. It is very similar to both of the above mentioned.

Which reminds me!

Another EXCELLENT book that I recieved there was Orchard's "Catholic Commentary on Holy Scripture"

Long out of print, but if you can get a copy for $65-75 GET IT!!! It is my favorite commentary!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:45 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

resourcement wrote:
Quote:

Ah! The one that I have is from 1954, thirteenth edition. You said "not Karl Rahner". Mine certainly says "Karl Rahner" (??)

You are right, it is 'ole Karl. I got him mixed up with another Fr. Rahner...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:07 am 
Adept
Adept

bonaventure wrote:
This is the first criticism of the Schoeman book that I have heard also. I had a friend say it was good, but I haven't seen it myself.

Were you possibly thinking about another book Seanie?

No, this is the book all right bonaventure.

weunice, yes I've seen CAI's review of the book (in fact, he put a second one up recently). Since the site is down at the moment, I can't refresh what I read.

Since I mentioned I did not myself read the book, I can only go on what I've heard. If it is in fact the case that Schoeman views the 1948 establishment of the State of Israel as fulfilling OT prophecy regarding the land of Palestine, then he is in grave error. One review mentions a modern-day fulfillment of Ezekiel 36 in reference to the Jews being gathered from the corners of the earth. However, the promise of the land in Palestine was fulfilled in the time of Joshua, and does not await a future fulfillment.

Even worse, Schoeman favours the Jews' rebuilding of the Temple in Jerusalem which is a preparation for the anti-christ, without considering why the Temple was destroyed in the first place. Maybe "favours" is too strong, but it seems he sees in the establishment of the state of Israel a fulfillment of OT prophecy concerning the Jews. This is a great error, implying that God still owes the Jews something. It is the error of dispensationalism, and by extension implies that God's covenent sitll remains to be fulfilled with the Jews, essentially a Judaistic error. Hence dispensationalist excitement at the prospect of a rebuilt Jewish temple.

Alice von Hildebrand makes a very unfortunate remark in her review when she says a Jew who converts is not changing religion. Of course he is. He's changing from a dead religion to the living one.

cheers,
seanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:25 am 
Middle Management
Middle Management

Quote:
Even worse, Schoeman favours the Jews' rebuilding of the Temple in Jerusalem which is a preparation for the anti-christ, without considering why the Temple was destroyed in the first place. Maybe "favours" is too strong, but it seems he sees in the establishment of the state of Israel a fulfillment of OT prophecy concerning the Jews.

Wow. I didn't know he was saying anything like that.

I think that he wrote an article for First Things awile ago. As they have have all their old issues online, it might be a good idea to check out the article if you don't have time to read the whole book (thats probably what I'll do)

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:29 am 
Middle Management
Middle Management

Just to add what I am reading:

The Christ of Faith by Karl Adam

God with Us by Ratzinger

The diary of Saint Faustina

The book of Psalms.

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:45 am 
Adept
Adept

As I feared: http://rofters.blogspot.com/2005_01_01_ ... chive.html

Schoeman himself writes:
Quote:
many Jews today have falsely become convinced that Christianity is meant only for gentiles, and thus that to recognize Jesus for who he is leads inevitably to the loss of one’s Jewish identity. Yet a major purpose of my book is to argue that in entering the Church, a Jew not only does not cease to be a Jew, but becomes even more Jewish—that is, a completed or fulfilled Jew.

Unfortunately, that's the problem with the book, in a nutshell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:03 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

resourcement wrote:
Neophyte:

I haven’t heard of that book (Creative Fidelity). Who publishes it? What do you think?

Paulist Press. The book dealt with all aspects of infallible dogma, e.g., how to determine if something is infallible. One chapter went through the first 18 councils identifying the infallible teachings. Another chapter discussed which papal statements throughout history were ex cathedra. The Second Vatican Council had its own chapter.

Of course, other theologians take different approaches as regards infallibility, but it was interesting to read what Archbishop Levada's doctoral advisor had to say about this topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:59 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Working on "The Hidden Manna" a Theology of the Eucharist.

Our Sunday Visitor's Catholic Encyclopedia.

"The God who loves you" by Peter Kreeft.

Disagreement and error among men on moral and religious matters have always been a cause of profound sorrow to all good men, but above all to the true and loyal sons of the Church, especially today, when we see the principles of Christian culture being attacked on all sides. -Pope Pius XII

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:54 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Eorlingean Catholic
Church Affiliations: KC
I have on permanent re-read status, Michael Casey's Living in the Truth: Saint Benedict's Teaching on Humility. I figure in about another forty years I'll have it down, God willing. I wanted to read a book on Bonaventure but it seems to have found it's way into storage so it'll have to wait. Meanwhile, I'm reading Crossing the Threshhold of Hope.

Twitter: @blueyedmule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:39 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
The Catechism of the Catholic Church (re-read)

The Bible (Douay Rheims, I cycle through translations. This is like the 13th front to cover read through)

Rhetoric- Aristotle (reading parts that I missed in school)

Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma- Ludwig Ott (attempting to read cover to cover)

I just finished Canticle of Leibowitz

I am also slowly reading through various essays of Dietrich von Hildebrand in the Charitable Anathema

What did you think of CANTICLE?

GKC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:05 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

GKC wrote:

GKC
It was good, very good

I liked the interspersed Latin and the modified Litanyof the Saint!

It was very well done

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:41 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
GKC wrote:

GKC

It was good, very good

I liked the interspersed Latin and the modified Litanyof the Saint!

It was very well done

Agreed. It is one of the glories of science fiction. Sorry the same can't be said for its long-awaited follow-up (not really a sequel, since it was set roughly in the middle of the CANTICLE story arc).

Miller was a very sad case, but he caught lightning in a jar, once.

GKC

Post subject: "Haroun and the Sea of Stories," by Salman Rushdie
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:06 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

[quote="resourcement"]I would be interested to hear from the different people on this board what books they are currently reading/just finished.
quote]

"Haroun and the Sea of Storiers," by Salman Rushdie

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 3   [ 56 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next