Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Girl with the Pearl Earring
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:05 pm 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

Religion: Catholic
This book is required reading for incoming freshman at our local high school. I'm reading the book myself right now. I'm interested in any good information about the book or Vermeer (the subject) and especially about the portrayal of Catholicism in Holland in the 1600's.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:14 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: Ohio, originally from Portland Oregon/SW Washington
I didn't read the book, but I saw the movie...

Can't say that I would suggest anybody watches it.

Visit my Website: http://nouvelletheologie.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:56 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Didn't read the book either, but the way that Vermeer painted diffused light in a room is extraordinary. He never sold a painting in his lifetime.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:46 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Eorlingean Catholic
Church Affiliations: KC
He painted using a camera obscura and would literally paint right over the inverted image projected onto the canvas, mixing colors on the canvas intil they matched the projection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:58 pm 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

Religion: Catholic
I finished the book last night. I have some concerns. I've found some good information that is refuting the portrayal of Vermeer and his family, in general, but what I really need is to be able to educate myself on the condition of the Dutch Church in that time period so I can put the slams the author makes against the Faith in context. I am really interested in hearing from the school (which is a Catholic school, BTW) what lessons they are pulling out of this book. If it's to illustrate anti-Catholic bias in modern fiction, I could get on board with that. But, I'm not feeling very hopeful that is the answer I am going to get when I ask about it. I'm now on to The House on Mango Street, another fine example of classic literature that the schools have selected for our children. I am glad I have a chance to preview this before we make an enrollment decision (DD is going into 8th grade this year)...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:19 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Kathleen wrote:
I finished the book last night. I have some concerns. . . . I am really interested in hearing from the school (which is a Catholic school, BTW) what lessons they are pulling out of this book. If it's to illustrate anti-Catholic bias in modern fiction, I could get on board with that.

This is a true voice of reason!