Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: William Wordsworth on the BVM
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:52 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I happened on a series of sonnets by William Wordsworth called Ecclesiastical Sonnets, which is essentially a denfense of the Church of England, and I noticed the following sonnet called "The Virgin." This sonnet follows one that describes the protestant reformation's abandonment of the saints. "The Virgin" describes Mary's sinlessness, "Our tainted Nature's solitary boast," but I'm sure that Wordsworth's contemporary, S. T. Coleridge, didn't believe in the Immaculate Conception.

So my questions are: Does the Church of England teach the Immaculate Conception? Is it at least an acceptable belief for them? Or is Wordsworth outside the normal views of the Church of England?

William Wordsworth wrote:
XXV. THE VIRGIN

MOTHER! whose virgin bosom was uncrost
With the least shade of thought to sin allied;
Woman! above all women glorified,
Our tainted nature's solitary boast;
Purer than foam on central ocean tost;
Brighter than eastern skies at daybreak strewn
With fancied roses, than the unblemished moon
Before her wane begins on heaven's blue coast;
Thy Image falls to earth. Yet some, I ween,
Not unforgiven the suppliant knee might bend,
As to a visible Power, in which did blend
All that was mixed and reconciled in Thee
Of mother's love with maiden purity,
Of high with low, celestial with terrene!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:20 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

The Immaculate Conception is most certainly acceptable amongst many Anglicans, especially those of the Anglo-Catholic variety. It is considered a pious opinion, not de fide, but it is not at all unusual to hear it expressed. My rector is quite fond of quoting Wordsworth, on the BVM as mankind's solitary boast. The perpetual viriginity (which was referenced in today's Mass) or the Assumption are treated in similar fashion.

GKC

Anglicanus Catholicus, whose parish sings the Angelus at each Mass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:36 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

In the poem, Wordsworth also points to Mary's perpetual sinlessness--'whose virgin bosom was uncrost / With the least shade of thought to sin allied"--, and he seems to sanction some type of praying to Mary: 'Yet some, I ween, / Not unforgiven the suppliant knee might bend, / As to a visible Power.' My guess is that this is a sanctioning of the Communion of Saints expressed in connection with the Church as an establishment of the state: that one makes supplications to Mary 'as to a visible Power.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:07 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Well, certainly, Anglicans will commend their prayer intentions to the BVM. Happens about every other Mass, in my parish. Whether Anglicans would express this as praying to Mary, I doubt. We do maintain the hyperdulia/latria distinction.

GKC