Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Psychology of a Saint: 3-Stage conversion?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:56 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Catholic
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone could help me in this. I have heard somewhere that basically every canonized saint of the Church has undergone a similar, three-stage conversion process in the course of their spiritual life. I'm having trouble remembering the details, but it seems that each stage begins with a dark period or trial(something like the dark night of the soul) followed by a period of light and grace that is merited by the suffering of the dark trial.

If memory serves me correctly, the first stage is BEGINNER, where the saint no longer commits mortal sins or deliberate venial sins, but still thinks in terms of parables.

The next step, if I can remember correctly, was the ADEPT stage. I briefly recall that the saint will actually think it is receiving revelations but it hasn't the level of holiness for them.

Finally, the last stage I think was PERFECTION, where now the saint is in total union with God and instead of parables, thinks only in terms of the Passion and suffering of the Cross and Christ. I briefly recall that in this last stage, they go into martyrdom.

Does anyone have any information about where I could learn about this, but not in a book because I can't afford it, I'm poor.

God Bless you all,
Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:40 am 
Middle Management
Middle Management

I believe that this is what you are looking for.

This article will also be helpful, although I don't know if it goes into much not covered by the other one.

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:11 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Thank you, that was helpful.

scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:42 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
You might also pick up the "Three Conversions in the Spiritual Life". Great small book for $7 new

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:24 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
You might also pick up the "Three Conversions in the Spiritual Life". Great small book for $7 new

Thank you for the lead, PED. BTW, where might I pick that up? Could I get it from All Catholic Books, or whatever it's called? Or maybe TAN has it?

I'm also wondering if there's not a parallel between this individual way of the saint and the history of the Church? The Book of Rev has a three-part structure, just like the Ages of Sanctity, in the Three Sevens: the Seven Seals, the Seven Trumpets, and the Seven Bowls. So I'm wondering if perhaps the Church must likewise pass through three ages of her history?

Thanks again,
Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:58 pm 
Middle Management
Middle Management

TAN publishes it so AllcatholicBooks probably carries it. It is a condensed form of the "The Three Ages of the Spiritual Life" by the same author.

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori