Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 3   [ 49 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Wel im disturbed
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:17 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:16 am
Posts: 7171
Location: United States
Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic
Hmm


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
"Indeed the true friends of the people are neither the revolutionaries nor innovators, they are the traditionalist." - Pope Pius X

Adoremus in Aeternum

Consecrated to Mary, March 25, 2015.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wel im disturbed
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:19 pm 
Offline
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:55 am
Posts: 76199
Location: 1.5532386636 radians
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
If Fr. James Martin's eccentricities are news to you, well, now you know. He professes fidelity to Church teachings and then charmingly undermines them at every turn.

_________________
Nos autem in nomine Domini Dei nostri

Need something to read?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wel im disturbed
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:21 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:16 am
Posts: 7171
Location: United States
Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic
I can hear Mother Angelica's 1993 rant... "I'm tired of your refusal to admit the Son God was a Man!"

_________________
"Indeed the true friends of the people are neither the revolutionaries nor innovators, they are the traditionalist." - Pope Pius X

Adoremus in Aeternum

Consecrated to Mary, March 25, 2015.


Last edited by Matthew Michael on Sun May 01, 2016 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wel im disturbed
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:23 pm 
Offline
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:55 am
Posts: 76199
Location: 1.5532386636 radians
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
If Mother said that, she was wrong. Except with respect to the Incarnation.

_________________
Nos autem in nomine Domini Dei nostri

Need something to read?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wel im disturbed
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:25 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:16 am
Posts: 7171
Location: United States
Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic
Had to correct it

_________________
"Indeed the true friends of the people are neither the revolutionaries nor innovators, they are the traditionalist." - Pope Pius X

Adoremus in Aeternum

Consecrated to Mary, March 25, 2015.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wel im disturbed
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:27 pm 
Offline
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:55 am
Posts: 76199
Location: 1.5532386636 radians
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Take another look ... I think you're still short a preposition.

_________________
Nos autem in nomine Domini Dei nostri

Need something to read?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wel im disturbed
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:31 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:16 am
Posts: 7171
Location: United States
Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic
Im never posting from my
Phone again :)

_________________
"Indeed the true friends of the people are neither the revolutionaries nor innovators, they are the traditionalist." - Pope Pius X

Adoremus in Aeternum

Consecrated to Mary, March 25, 2015.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wel im disturbed
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:58 pm 
Offline
**********
**********

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:29 am
Posts: 486
Religion: Open to persuasion
I'm confused by this thread. The Holy Spirit, i.e. God, does not have any gender, neither male nor female. Therefore referring to the Holy Spirit as "she" is no more incorrect than referring to the Holy Spirit as "he".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wel im disturbed
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:02 pm 
Offline
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:55 am
Posts: 76199
Location: 1.5532386636 radians
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
God the Father is properly referred to as "Father," just as the Son is properly referred to as "Son." To introduce female terms with reference to the Spirit is to introduce into the Godhead a distinction--that of sexuality--that does not exist.

_________________
Nos autem in nomine Domini Dei nostri

Need something to read?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wel im disturbed
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:38 pm 
Online
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2002 1:13 pm
Posts: 34031
Location: Midwest
Religion: Catholic
Following.


SV

_________________
“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wel im disturbed
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:13 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:54 pm
Posts: 4807
Location: Diocese of Austin, TX
Religion: Catholic
If we're going to refer to Persons of the Trinity, we have to do it on the terms of the Triune God, since we only know the distinction of the Persons by His own revelation of Himself.

Since in the Sacred Scriptures, God is always referred to as "He" and the Holy Spirit is never referred to as "she", it seems audacious at best to refer to the Holy Spirit as "she" and blasphemous as worst [though I'm not sure it goes quite that far].

_________________
Formerly Known as Louis-Marie Flambeau and RaginCajunJoe

"Be of good heart ... you who are children of Mary. Remember that she accepts as her children all those who choose to be so. Rejoice! Why do you fear to be lost, when such a a Mother defends and protects you?" - St. Alphonsus Liguori

"Blessed Virgin Mary - Immaculate Mother of God. Crushes Satan's head in her spare time." - CCB


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wel im disturbed
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:29 pm 
Offline
Adept
Adept
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:25 am
Posts: 4118
Location: Fort Smith, AR
Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
ThomisticCajunAggie wrote:
If we're going to refer to Persons of the Trinity, we have to do it on the terms of the Triune God, since we only know the distinction of the Persons by His own revelation of Himself.

Since in the Sacred Scriptures, God is always referred to as "He" and the Holy Spirit is never referred to as "she", it seems audacious at best to refer to the Holy Spirit as "she" and blasphemous as worst [though I'm not sure it goes quite that far].

No, sorry. I think this has much less to do with a Scriptural or even theological precedence (or even fittingness, which I bet would be the basis from which the Fr would be attempting to work) as much as it is from a principle of differentiation. If the Father and Son are properly spoken of as "He" (even if that language is, of course, metaphorical), then to suggest that the Holy Spirit is properly spoken of as "She" suggests some principle of differentiation beyond the relations between the Trinity. But now you get into all sorts of very serious problems. So either refer to all the Persons as "she" (which should be obviously problematic for fittingness) or none of them.

_________________
Making Divine Simplicity Simple: Rediscovering Who and What God Is - an evangelical's (my!) attempt to explain Divine Simplicity in non-technical language
The Galatian Heresy (Gal 3:1-6) - An Argument for Sanctification by Faith Alone


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wel im disturbed
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:39 pm 
Offline
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:55 am
Posts: 76199
Location: 1.5532386636 radians
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I'm not sure that you're disagreeing with me or with TCA.

_________________
Nos autem in nomine Domini Dei nostri

Need something to read?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wel im disturbed
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:03 pm 
Offline
King of Cool

Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 1:30 pm
Posts: 74127
Religion: Anticukite Catholic
I have heard that the reason why masculine language is used of God is because it implies divine transcendence and separation from his creation, because when a man fathers a child, he does so from the outside, whereas feminine imagery would suggest that God gave birth to the universe, and therefore suggests pantheism,


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wel im disturbed
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:06 pm 
Offline
Adept
Adept
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:25 am
Posts: 4118
Location: Fort Smith, AR
Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I'm not sure that you're disagreeing with me or with TCA.

I don't disagree with you. And if I do, not publicly. It would be imprudent. :wave

_________________
Making Divine Simplicity Simple: Rediscovering Who and What God Is - an evangelical's (my!) attempt to explain Divine Simplicity in non-technical language
The Galatian Heresy (Gal 3:1-6) - An Argument for Sanctification by Faith Alone


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wel im disturbed
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:11 pm 
Offline
There Can Be Only One
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:44 pm
Posts: 11252
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Religion: Catholic
Doom wrote:
I have heard that the reason why masculine language is used of God is because it implies divine transcendence and separation from his creation, because when a man fathers a child, he does so from the outside, whereas feminine imagery would suggest that God gave birth to the universe, and therefore suggests pantheism,
I'm sure that's it.

_________________
Where’er the Catholic sun doth shine,
There’s music and laughter and good red wine.
At least I’ve always found it so.
Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wel im disturbed
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:30 am 
Offline
**********
**********

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:29 am
Posts: 486
Religion: Open to persuasion
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
God the Father is properly referred to as "Father," just as the Son is properly referred to as "Son." To introduce female terms with reference to the Spirit is to introduce into the Godhead a distinction--that of sexuality--that does not exist.

I take your point, but it only seems a little bit eccentric and harmless, while being quite thought-provoking, to be reminded in this way that God is not a man.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wel im disturbed
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:51 am 
Offline
King of Cool

Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 1:30 pm
Posts: 74127
Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Daisy wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
God the Father is properly referred to as "Father," just as the Son is properly referred to as "Son." To introduce female terms with reference to the Spirit is to introduce into the Godhead a distinction--that of sexuality--that does not exist.

I take your point, but it only seems a little bit eccentric and harmless, while being quite thought-provoking, to be reminded in this way that God is not a man.



No, it is harmful, because if God is a 'she' instead of a 'he', it implies pantheism, which is why pretty much every person who engages in this kind of talk is a pantheist.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wel im disturbed
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:01 am 
Offline
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2002 10:54 am
Posts: 39292
Location: Ithilien
Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
It's also a bit odd to speak of Our Lady being the Spouse of the Holy Spirit if the Holy Spirit is "she."

_________________
Formerly Bagheera

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wel im disturbed
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:49 am 
Offline
**********
**********

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:29 am
Posts: 486
Religion: Open to persuasion
Peregrinator wrote:
It's also a bit odd to speak of Our Lady being the Spouse of the Holy Spirit if the Holy Spirit is "she."


It's also a bit odd to speak of Our Lady being the Spouse of the Holy Spirit if the Holy Spirit is "he". It's a bit odd to speak of Our Lady being the Spouse of the Holy Spirit and the Mother of God at the same time, with God and the Holy Spirit being one.

It's a bit odd to think of God as a man with two arms and two legs and everything else a man has.

It's a bit odd to think that Jesus who is God sits at the right hand of God.

And so on...

It's all a bit odd!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 3   [ 49 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Jump to: