Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 3   [ 46 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:52 am 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Religion: One Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree K of C, L of M
matteo d'basio wrote:
Hebrews says that Jesus "was like us in all things but sin." To be like us in all things implies that in his human nature he must have been tempted in all the ordinary ways, without ever yielding to the temptation. Being "temptable" is not entirely a result of the fall from grace, because Eve and Adam were tempted to sin in the garden before they gave into the temptation.

Good point, Father. Yet, we must also hold that the possibility of Christ yielding to temptation did not exist. In that regard, can we say any temptation He may have experienced was unlike anything we are familiar with, as temptation for us (even for Adam and Eve) holds with it the very real possibility that we can succumb to it?

Judas Iscariot is the patron saint of Social Justice. Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

A logistics problem should be handled with a logistical solution, not a liturgical one.

Holy Mary, Queen of the Martyrs, Pray for us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:11 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
The temptation is not a sin, it's giving into the temptation that is a sin...Jesus was tempted and so was Mary...Yes, Jesus was tempted, but He never gave in to temptations...

Now, the affections for the flesh does not fall under what makes this man a man, or this human a human, or fall under the definition of "humanity". There are some men and priests who have been given the graces to not have affections for the flesh, even though they have a fallen nature, but that does not take away from their full humanity.

The affection for a particular sin is what causes a man to give into that particular temptation, and these affections for sin comes from our fallen nature. Christ did not have that fallen nature; therefore, didn't have the affection for that sin. When he was tempted, He despised every single sin that He was being tempted of, including the temptation of the flesh and did not give in as a result.

Plus, he was God...

Some of these ecumenists are so preoccupied with Christian unity that they are willing to destroy Catholic unity in the name of Christian unity. - Fr. John Hardon

Post subject: Did Jesus have a crush?
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:23 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

I understand that Jesus was never prey to lust, but is it possible that he ever found himself attracted to a woman (in a pure and holy way)? I don't think one could object to this on grounds of lustfulness or impurity, but perhaps one could argue that any attraction to the opposite sex, however innocent, would be a distraction from his holy mission. (And yet, I think Christ himself went through a gradual discernment process... Perhaps he considered the vocation of marriage at one point?). Please tell me if I am being completely heretical here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:44 pm 
Master
Master

I am certain that, since Jesus was fully human, he was subject to every temptation that the rest of humanity has.

Of course, society was very different at that time, and Jesus was most likely not faced with the myriad sexual temptations that surround people today.

Post subject: Re: Did Jesus have a crush?
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:30 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

marie0006 wrote:
I understand that Jesus was never prey to lust, but is it possible that he ever found himself attracted to a woman (in a pure and holy way)? I don't think one could object to this on grounds of lustfulness or impurity, but perhaps one could argue that any attraction to the opposite sex, however innocent, would be a distraction from his holy mission. (And yet, I think Christ himself went through a gradual discernment process... Perhaps he considered the vocation of marriage at one point?). Please tell me if I am being completely heretical here.

I don't think it's possible for him to have considered the vocation of marriage--but I too have wondered if he could have had a crush.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:09 pm 

Quote:
Was Christ ever tempted by a woman?

I am a theology student and was asked this question. I am not quite sure how to answer it. Any suggestions?

Say you don't know!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:03 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Apostate
Jesus was not subject to concupiscence. Concupiscence is defined as the movement of the sensitive appetites contrary to right reason. How is one tempted when one's appetites are always rightly ordered?

Justin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:18 pm 
Wow- temptation is way more complicated than I originally thought! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:22 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
1962Missal wrote:
Jesus was not subject to concupiscence. Concupiscence is defined as the movement of the sensitive appetites contrary to right reason. How is one tempted when one's appetites are always rightly ordered?

That's a good question. I don't think Jesus was tempted in that way, but Adam and Eve somehow managed to sin, and they were not afflicted by concupiscence before the Fall. Nor was Lucifer, before his fall.

Need something to read?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:25 pm 
Comment about Concupiscence- definitely agree...he WAS subject to emotions though....sorrow, joy, etc. But they were ORDERED, unlike concupiscence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:24 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

This is a Lyceum topic.

Siggy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:47 pm 
Are we not allowed to post this here? I am confused

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:50 pm 

FG the post got moved to a diff forum....which is where you/we are posting now :)

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:03 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Scripture says that Christ was tempted in all things just as we are, yet without sin. So the answer is yes. He suffered sexual temptation just as we do, yet he never sinned.

Post subject: Temptation
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:14 pm 
Do you know where in Scripture that is and if for sure that includes temptation??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:29 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree Knight of Columbus
Scripture passages pertaining to the temptation of Jesus:

Heb. 2:18, 4:15
Matthew 4:1-11
Mark 1:12-13
Luke 4:1-13

If your inquiry is to metal's post, the reference to that can be found in Hebrews 4:15. Hope that answers your question.

+Bishop Fulton J. Sheen (1895-1979)

JMJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:38 pm 
Awesome, Thanks!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:02 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree Knight of Columbus
Glad I could help.

+Bishop Fulton J. Sheen (1895-1979)

JMJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:37 am 

Jesus could have been tempted by a woman. temptation is normal for Humans and Jesus Christ was also in human form. He is both God and Human. he was even tempted by satan duing his public life. But i guess this temption (woman) could have occured before His public Life. But i am very sure that He was succesful in fighting satan over this temptation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:02 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
viktor aleksndr wrote:
Jesus could have been tempted by a woman. temptation is normal for Humans and Jesus Christ was also in human form. He is both God and Human. he was even tempted by satan duing his public life. But i guess this temption (woman) could have occured before His public Life. But i am very sure that He was succesful in fighting satan over this temptation.

Of course He was not tempted interiorly...

I say that, insofar as concupiscence is what makes us tempted by the opposite sex, it is impossible for Christ to have been so tempted. That is, He had no concupiscence

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 3   [ 46 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next