Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 21   [ 402 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Judgment
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 6:27 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Last week our priest talked a lot about not judging and condemning your neighbour since only God knows what is truly on his heart.

Is it heretical to think that an Anglican or even a Buddhist might be saved? The Bible seems to say i) that we cannot know how God will judge us (or that we are not the judges) and ii) we are judged by what we do (I think this is in Revelation).

So if a non-Catholic leads a saintly life isn't it plausible that God would send them upstairs instead of downstairs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 7:29 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

The name of the heresy which teaches that only Catholics will enter heaven is McFeeneyism.

CCC 846: "Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation. . . .[Christ] affirmed at the same time the nescessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it."

But:

CCC 847: "This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church: 'Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience--those too may achieve salvation."

Thus if you KNOW the Catholic Church to be the true Church and don't enter, you have forfeited salvation, but if you don't know this (and I think most Protestants don't), you have not.

Romans 1:20-21 teaches about this: "Ever since the creation of the world, his invisible attributes of eternal power and divinity have been able to be understood and perceived in what he has made." Thus one never having heard the name of God can determine he is there and seek him, but "as a result, they have no excuse; for although they knew God they did not accord him glory as God or give him thanks." Thus some deliberately reject God.

Buddhists--I don't know, but it seems the principle of CCC 847 would apply just the same. Someone who knows more may say differently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:08 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
persephone wrote:

Thus if you KNOW the Catholic Church to be the true Church and don't enter, you have forfeited salvation, but if you don't know this (and I think most Protestants don't), you have not.

In that case................looks like I'm converting!

Finally Home!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:53 am 
Alleluia Tom! I'll be praying for you! I am a convert. I can't express the beauty, the sublimity, the sheer awesomeness of (being one of the least brethren and) having the Roman Catholic Church as my Mother! :amen:

I think this paragraph from Dominus Iesus answers your question nicely.
Quote:
2. With the coming of the Saviour Jesus Christ, God has willed that the Church founded by him be the instrument for the salvation of all humanity (cf. Acts 17:30-31).90 This truth of faith does not lessen the sincere respect which the Church has for the religions of the world, but at the same time, it rules out, in a radical way, that mentality of indifferentism “characterized by a religious relativism which leads to the belief that ‘one religion is as good as another'”.91 If it is true that the followers of other religions can receive divine grace, it is also certain that objectively speaking they are in a gravely deficient situation in comparison with those who, in the Church, have the fullness of the means of salvation.92 However, “all the children of the Church should nevertheless remember that their exalted condition results, not from their own merits, but from the grace of Christ. If they fail to respond in thought, word, and deed to that grace, not only shall they not be saved, but they shall be more severely judged”.93 One understands then that, following the Lord's command (cf. Mt 28:19-20) and as a requirement of her love for all people, the Church “proclaims and is in duty bound to proclaim without fail, Christ who is the way, the truth, and the life (Jn 14:6). In him, in whom God reconciled all things to himself (cf. 2 Cor 5:18-19), men find the fullness of their religious life”.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:04 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (SSPX)
persephone wrote:
The name of the heresy which teaches that only Catholics will enter heaven is McFeeneyism.

For clarification, it's "Feeneyism".

Post subject: Re: Judgment
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:11 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

workinprogress wrote:
Last week our priest talked a lot about not judging and condemning your neighbour since only God knows what is truly on his heart.

Is it heretical to think that an Anglican or even a Buddhist might be saved? The Bible seems to say i) that we cannot know how God will judge us (or that we are not the judges) and ii) we are judged by what we do (I think this is in Revelation).

So if a non-Catholic leads a saintly life isn't it plausible that God would send them upstairs instead of downstairs?

..btw... thanks for spelling "judgment" correctly. ;) :thumbsup:

Post subject: Protestant/secular confusion (and spelling)
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:45 am 
Citizen
Citizen

I used the American spelling of Judgment. I wouldn't be upset with using Judgement though, being Canadian...

The CBC's national news show "the National" had a lot of coverage about Pope Benedict and seemed to suggest he was absolutist about the deficiency of other churches. My impression from the language used was that he believed protestants were going to hell. An Anglican co-worker was railing against the Catholic Church the other day saying "sure, they teach that unbaptized babies are in purgatory and all the Protestants are going to hell." I said that was just Protestant paranoia.

Your comments encourage me to hold to that view and to trust in God's grace and justice when it comes to the final judgment. Thanks.

With that I think I will go read Dominus Iesus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:54 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

tAnGo wrote:
persephone wrote:

Heh, unless I was making a joke about McReligion. ;) (I wasn't, I just didn't check it first.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:41 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

persephone wrote:
tAnGo wrote:
persephone wrote:

Heh, unless I was making a joke about McReligion. ;) (I wasn't, I just didn't check it first.)

hehe. cool.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:56 pm 

workinprogress wrote:

Hi Work, Every nonbeliever will come before the Lord for judgement. When one dies then comes judgement. All will be judged according to Gods Law. Every human has the Law written in their hearts. There is no excuse. If you kept them heaven is your reward,if not Hell is your sentence. God being a just God will impose the degree of punishment according to your sin. Praise God for sending His Son for the punishment of our sins as believers .Amen. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 3:47 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

tom58 wrote:
persephone wrote:

Bravo, Tom. God bless you.

Bill
http://theocoid.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 7:44 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
wip, it might be good to point out to you (and your anglican friend) that if you are in purgatory, you are assured of heaven...at some point... depends on the purification needed according to the sins that must be atoned for

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 8:01 am 
Citizen
Citizen

how anyone can even think a buddhist is "even considered" eligible for heaven is beyond me....

there is but one way---and that thru God'S SON--Jesus Christ our LORD.

John 14:6
I am the way and the truth and the life. NO one comes to the Father except through me.

1 cor 15:57
But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:17 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

so the billions of people on this earth who never have the opportunity to hear the good news of the gospel are just passing time huh? God... (or you :shock: :roll:) condemns them to hell with no hope of salvation through no fault of their own ... maybe you better rethink your position mark and give God a chance to pass judgement on those who do not, or will never know the Name above all Names

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:19 am 
Apostle of Iraq
Apostle of Iraq

Church Affiliations: 4th degree Knight of Columbus
workinprogress wrote:

A non-Catholic maybe saved through their not knowing the truth! If they never had the chance ("invincible ignorance") then they can be saved (Vatican II). We are called to go to them and witness to them!

*NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL* http://www.youtube.com/defendercatholic *NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL*
http://catholicscomehome.org/epic/epic120.html
Ephesians 6:10-17
1 Timothy 3:15

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:21 am 
Apostle of Iraq
Apostle of Iraq

tom58 wrote:
persephone wrote:

Praise God! I encourage you to check with St. Josephs Communications and get the "Alex Jones Conversion Story- No Price is too High"! You will love it!

*NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL* http://www.youtube.com/defendercatholic *NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:24 am 
Apostle of Iraq
Apostle of Iraq

tAnGo wrote:
persephone wrote:

The fact that the Catholics will be the only ones entering heaven is not a heresy! It's the truth! Do you think that a Protestant or any other will enter Heaven as such! Don't forget Purgatory!!! They will be transformed through the truth when it is opened to them at that time! They will enter as Catholics!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:26 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

amen to that CD! :yes: :salut: :thumbsup: :cloud9:

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:37 am 
Apostle of Iraq
Apostle of Iraq

faithfulservant wrote:
amen to that CD! :yes: :salut: :thumbsup: :cloud9:

Hey faithful, my long time Houston Texans fan!!! My brother of times past, and one time competitor for the most post race! I'm sorry I had to drop out of that race due to unforseen circumstances, but it looks as if Siggy has got it under control.

At the end of this age, Jesus will judge the living and the dead. There will be two kingdoms, heaven and hell! All those saved will enter into heaven and those who are not will go to hell. At that time, there will not be an issue of religion. That will already be settled!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 12:15 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

definitely looking to be on the sheep side at that time cd... and i have a much better chance now that i'm home than i ever did as a fallen away lukewarm baptist

De Maria numquam satis

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 21   [ 402 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next