Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 3   [ 42 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: God and humour
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:31 am 
Master
Master

Does/Can God have a sense of humour?

I mean, seriously. Don't tell me to go look at ostriches, giraffes or the mirror.

Novus Ordo [strike]Mundi[/strike].
New [strike]World[/strike] Order.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:38 am 
Huckleberry
Huckleberry

Religion: Catholic
This is probably better suited for the pub, but we'll see what direction it takes.

The first task would be to think about how a sense of humor would relate to or be compatible with the other known attributes of God. Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:00 am 
Master
Master

From the Sacred Scriptures we do know that God the Son felt emotions such as sadness, anger, perhaps even joy. Do these count? I can't think of a single passage from Scripture telling of His moments of mirth, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:53 am 
Citizen
Citizen

would anyone consider God letting a 90 year old woman become pregnant a sense of humor??

genesis 21:6
Sarah said, God has brought me laughter,, and everyone who hears about this will laugh with me.

opposite of the laughter people "shared" with noah....mockingly

it would be hard to imagine that God would not create us in HIS image and not include laughter---which many times is a result of JOY-----

would exceedingly joyful mean laughter----when we "see" God in a new light---do are hearts jump with joy exceedingly, that we get inspired enough to laugh???

and want to "yell" it out for the whole world?

think of this in a sense of a sporting event---and your favorite team has scored winning points in closing moments----laughter accompanies joy...

it can also accompany "our own sense of frailty-failure" when we DO LOOK IN THE "MIRROR"...

luke 6:21
Blessed are you who hunger now, for you will be satisfied. Blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh.

the greek is "gelao"--only appears twice in new testament---and laughter once.

this verse is in a chapter with JESUS talking of kingdom life----when we will be in his presence----we will laugh instead of mourn----(rev 7:17)---no more tears

we will be "exceedingly joyful"....like winning the superbowl in the last moments...

or coming back down from 3-0 to the yankees and winning----

lets go red sox
lets go red sox....

ooops----sorry---

I am new englander at heart-----born and raised. :)

1 cor 15:57
But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:46 pm 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

Well Mark,

That shows that God can bring forth or encourge laughter, but it does not necessarly follow that God has humor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:08 am 
Citizen
Citizen

do the words" make man our image" mean that literally---or an artists concept?

was JESUS not the "image" incarnate?

and our "image" has laughter. can 2 + 2 = 4, and 4 - 2 = 2 at the same time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:19 am 
Citizen
Citizen

is it vitally important we find scripture showing how Jesus told a joke, or laughed?

I hold that some of the days he went off by himself he prayed---and he prayed for EVERYTHING and everybody---and remembering the 12 disciples, and their "foolish
ways of showing their lack of faith---he most definitely laughed---not mockingly--but as we see our infants and children grow---we laugh cause we are reminded thru "the mirror" of our foolishness....

if it is important to show that Jesus specifically laughed----well all I can say is

JESUS DIDNT GO TO CHURCH ON SUNDAY EITHER.--he went to synagogue on Sabbath--like any good jew would.

is the question in relation to creation----is someone looking for evidence in creation for "humour"---

look at the platypus----and tell me he didnt have evolutionists in mind long before that bunk got started.

he most definitely has humour.
does this mean "sunday church" is wrong---no.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 10:58 am 
Hammer of Heretics
Hammer of Heretics

Quote:
JESUS DIDNT GO TO CHURCH ON SUNDAY EITHER

Well heck, then no one should go to church on Sunday either!

W.W.J.D.?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:23 am 
Huckleberry
Huckleberry

Jesus, while on earth, possessed many attributes that God the Father does not; i.e. skin, hair, a human mind and probably a sense of humor. So, as to the question of whether or not God has a sense of humor, Jesus' physical/mental attributes during the Incarnation wouldn't necessarily be applicable.

My spidey-sense is picking up a possibly difficulty with reconciling a sense of humor with divine omniscience, but we probably need a definition or description of what a "sense of humor" is. Anyone care to venture one?

Last edited by Max Majestic on Mon May 02, 2005 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:54 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Look at it this way? Is humor in and of itself sinful? I know that depending on the bent you take, it can be, but in and of itself is humor sinful? I would say no. If it is not sinful then I would think that it's perfection would be found in God.

I like to think of the second time in the Gospels where there is a large gathering & the Apostles tell jesus that the people are hungry...a second time He asks them how many fish & pieces of bread they have...I smile everytime I read that......I think Jesus must have been chuckling in his heart when they approached Him....

The Lord is with me like a dread warrior; Therefor my persecutors will stumble, and they will not prevail. Jeremaih 20:11

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:16 am 
Citizen
Citizen

I like that analogy too Gospel----never applied "humour" to that passage---

but as you point out---most laughter today is "mocking" laughter---

however "righteous" laughter brings joy to the heart---and usually gives us a "brighter" outlook.....

especially when we "acknowledge/realize" our fragile state....

this brings joy---because it is at this point we realize "we are not perfect", and realize even more the GREAT THING DONE AT CALVARY---

For God so loved the world.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:49 am 
Huckleberry
Huckleberry

Gospel wrote:
Look at it this way? Is humor in and of itself sinful? I know that depending on the bent you take, it can be, but in and of itself is humor sinful? I would say no. If it is not sinful then I would think that it's perfection would be found in God.

St. Anselm would LOVE that argument. :D ....but it still might need to be fleshed out some more. Take sleepy, for example. "Sleepy" isn't in and of itself sinful, but we wouldn't say that the perfection of sleepiness is found in God.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:52 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I've once heard "funny" described as scary and safe at the same time. (This may or may not be applicable to a definition of "sense of humour")

A baby laughs when mom or dad does something silly or unexpected. That mom or dad would do something different (like disappear and reappear behind a blanket) is a little scary. That it's mom or dad doing it is safe.

I'm not sure if that supports or rebuts the idea of God having a sense of humour. I can't imagine God feeling scared yet safe.

But when my baby laughs, I laugh too. Not just for joy... I would say that a baby laughing is funny (as well as joyful). Certainly our perfect parent must "laugh" when we, His children, laugh. Does that imply that He has a "sense of humour"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:14 am 
Master
Master

Methinks it isn't hard to imagine that God the Son possessed mirth.

But humour? I'm not sure how to define humour, but there is a slight difference between humour and mirth, no?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:58 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

I guess I look at it this way...if humor can be good (which I think it can be) then the perfection of it would be in God.

Regarding sleepiness...I think that is more of a biological factor, not an intellectual factor, which I think humor is made up of. I could be wrong, but that is my thoughts on the matter.....

The Lord is with me like a dread warrior; Therefor my persecutors will stumble, and they will not prevail. Jeremaih 20:11

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:36 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Evangelical
Here's a great comment I found...

Quote:
To me the greatest indication of his humor is in the instant in which the Israelites were using the Ark of the Covenant like a good luck charm in taking it to battle, and the Philistines end up capturing it and placing it in there temple before their idol of Dagon. What happens next? They come into the temple the next day and find Dagon flat on his face before the ark. They set him back up. The next morning, there he is again, but this time he has his hands and head cut off as a symbol of his powerlessness before the God of the ark (1 Samuel 5:1-5). To me the picture is hilarious!

http://www.gotquestions.org/God-humor.html

Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession- to the praise of his glory. ~Ephesians 1:13

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:42 pm 
Apostle of Iraq
Apostle of Iraq

Church Affiliations: 4th degree Knight of Columbus
walking4faith wrote:
Here's a great comment I found...

Quote:
To me the greatest indication of his humor is in the instant in which the Israelites were using the Ark of the Covenant like a good luck charm in taking it to battle, and the Philistines end up capturing it and placing it in there temple before their idol of Dagon. What happens next? They come into the temple the next day and find Dagon flat on his face before the ark. They set him back up. The next morning, there he is again, but this time he has his hands and head cut off as a symbol of his powerlessness before the God of the ark (1 Samuel 5:1-5). To me the picture is hilarious!

http://www.gotquestions.org/God-humor.html

I think what is humorous is when the robbers accidently toch the bones of Elisha and the prophet materializes before them. I can imagine them bumbling around like the three stooges!

*NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL* http://www.youtube.com/defendercatholic *NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL*
http://catholicscomehome.org/epic/epic120.html
Ephesians 6:10-17
1 Timothy 3:15

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:47 pm 
Apostle of Iraq
Apostle of Iraq

Church Affiliations: 4th degree Knight of Columbus
One more for the road, I can imagine St. Phillip after he baptizes the Ethopian Eunich, God takes him 200 miles away to Azotus right in the den of some angry arabs! I can just vision St. Phillip, "Lord, help! or maybe "beam me up scotty"!

*NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL* http://www.youtube.com/defendercatholic *NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL*
http://catholicscomehome.org/epic/epic120.html
Ephesians 6:10-17
1 Timothy 3:15

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:36 am 
Huckleberry
Huckleberry

Gospel wrote:
Regarding sleepiness...I think that is more of a biological factor, not an intellectual factor, which I think humor is made up of.

Good point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:48 am 
Citizen
Citizen

how about being razzed by a group of kids for being bald and calling him "baldy"....

he sent a bear after em....

my absolute favorite part(humour wise) in the "passion" movie was when the 2 thieves on the cross were debating over Jesus, and the unbelieving one had a crow come and land on his shoulder---and PECKED OUT HIS EYE...

i laughed so loud in the theatre and usher had to come and ask me to quiet it down.... ::):

I've seen it 5 times and still laugh at the symbolism----"here---take that"....

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 3   [ 42 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next